Thread: NFL season opener now on Wednesday

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

NFL season opener now on Wednesday

New York, NY (Sports Network) - The 2012 season-opening NFL Kickoff game will be played on Wednesday, September 5 instead of the traditional Thursday night start.

The change was made this year to avoid a conflict with President Barack Obama's Thursday night speech at the Democratic National Convention.
    The Super Bowl XLVI-champion New York Giants will host the 8:30 p.m. (et) contest at MetLife Stadium. Their opponent has yet to be determined.

The last NFL game to take place on a Wednesday occurred on September 22, 1948 (Rams-Lions).

If you guys know me you know I honestly don't like Thursday night games, but now Wednesday's too? Whoever ends up playing will have almost an extra bye week right out of the gate to start the season.

A little trivia for you, are there any days during the week that the NFL cannot televise their games?

My Mood
    Clowns
    My guess is that the Steelers don't get this matchup. I would think the NFL wants a team like Green Bay to play the Giants in a game like this. NFC conference rival against to two teams that faced each other in the playoffs last year.

the NFL just keeps getting harder to keep watching if you don't live in the states. I don't understand the sudden need to change all this... The system worked perfectly before.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Dems get free publicity. Maybe they will annouce the start of a Govt Football league, no golden parachutes.. Goddell can run it.
    Call it Yank the American Flag Football.

Damn...................guys, I'm seriously about an inch away from saying phuck-it to the NFL. Moving the opening game to Wed night so everyone can watch Obama? This is total horseshit.

Thread Information