Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers offensive line injury problems: lack of conditioning or just dumb luck?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Steelers offensive line injury problems: lack of conditioning or just dumb luck?

Up until the last 5-7 years or so the Steelers were generally able to keep their offensive line intact throughout the entire season. Sure you'd get an injury here and there but you could always count on guys like Dawson, John Jackson, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings (even with literally no knees left) etc. to be there week in and week out.

Since then though this group has struggled considerably just to even field the same starting 5 players after the first month of the season, let alone an entire year. Injuries have had a ton to do with that but of course the sub standard play of guys like Jonathan Scott at LT, or Chris Kemoeatu on LG haven't helped matters any.

I was hoping the addition of guys like Pouncey and Gilbert in recent drafts would help to really start solidifying the line but that hasn't happened yet. It may in the future and I'd like to think it will, as early as next year if things work out with Pouncey's injury and Gilbert's continued development but who knows?

The injuries though, I mean every single week somebody is playing for somebody else and then swapping positions with another player. In your opinion is that a lack of conditioning and training or just dumb luck?

I would hard pressed to say that Sean Kugler hasn't prepared his guys, he's had them able to fill in at a moments notice and rides them like a pack mule in training camp and practice. Still though, something has to give sooner or later.

My Mood
    Clowns
    As much as I like Sean Kugler, I just have to wonder how much luck plays into injuries all the time. I realize you can't control them and things just happen sometimes but the Steelers inability to field anything close to healthy offensive line the last few years can't be all coincidence. Part of it has to do with drafting as well, or the lack thereof other than Pouncey and Gilbert. They've just gone so long with the same faces year in and year out with the same injury problems.

Veteran
    Lack of talent. Some bad luck. Bad luck is compounded by the lack of depth resulting in mucho crapo players starting putting pressure on everyone resuting in more injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by CowherPower View Post
    As much as I like Sean Kugler, I just have to wonder how much luck plays into injuries all the time. I realize you can't control them and things just happen sometimes but the Steelers inability to field anything close to healthy offensive line the last few years can't be all coincidence. Part of it has to do with drafting as well, or the lack thereof other than Pouncey and Gilbert. They've just gone so long with the same faces year in and year out with the same injury problems.
    While some of this is true, Kugler is hardly to blame. He has very little if anything to do with the conditioning of the players, and a man can only do so much with the talent available. Iirc, the only real injuries which was caused by another o-line man stepping on the other was when Pouncey was injured, although I could be mistaken.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Deep in Enemy Territory 70 miles North of Bungleland
    I see most ALL injuries as due to BAD luck.

Look how many ACL injuries this team (and others) have suffered this past season.

ACL injuries are NOT a result of lack of conditioning.

Football is an extremely violent sport where legs, knees, hamstrings get placed in unpredictable positions. I liken it to NASCAR driver's racing toward the checkered flag while they are driving in a TIGHT pack! Anything CAN and WILL happen !!

ie..... "SHIITT happens." That's just the nature of the beast.

BTW, I've said it before and I'll say it again..... The saying "Injury PRONE" is absolute Bullshiiit IMHO.

Playcalling and Ben extending the plays way to fn long thus forcing the oline to continue to block...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
    Look how many ACL injuries this team (and others) have suffered this past season.

ACL injuries are NOT a result of lack of conditioning.
    Not sure I agree with that. The NFL didn't have the off-season or training camp that they normally would have had and then there's a rash of ACL inuries. Way to coincidental for me, and I don't believe in coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Playcalling and Ben extending the plays way to fn long thus forcing the oline to continue to block...

That's NOT gonna be a popular opinion around here.....but I'd have to agree 100%.
    When a lineman is blocking heads up, slant left, slant right, or even pulling, he'll put his body and legs in the proper position to maintain the block. However, after a couple seconds, when the QB is scrambling around and gets outside the pocket, that lineman is forced to move and block in completely unscripted ways bending legs and straining ACL's etc. to maintain the block. Day in and day out that **** will kill a 300 lbs. plus mans legs and back.

Draft Pick
    I think it has more to do with the law of averages than anything else. AS stated in the original post the Steelers managed to go largely injury free for years, now it's just catching up with them.

Caught up to them because of the horrid playcalling and the time it takes Ben to get rid of the ball...

If I brushed my hand over the fire quickly it would feel hot but if I put my hand into the fire for 5 seconds it would burn the **** out of it, see my drift??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information