Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to handle James Farrior

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Best way to handle James Farrior

Our good friend Chuck Finder from CBS Sports talks about the possibilities in regards to James Farrior.

by Chuck Finder - What to do with Farrior: No. 3 -- Release him
    Defensive captain/conscience James Farrior turned 37 last month. He has played 15 seasons. He has made almost 1,000 tackles. The biggest number: His $2.82 million salary on a team $11 million over the cap, minimum. One former NFL assistant claimed that Farrior was “done” two years ago. Is it time to part ways?

by Chuck Finder - What to do with Farrior: No. 2 -- Restructure
    Because he is the longtime captain/conscience who calls defensive signals, does that make ILB James Farrior indispensable? He alternated with backup Larry Foote often last season to stay fresh. Farrior carries an important voice in the locker-room chemistry that general manager Kevin Colbert keeps saying is important to preserve.

by Chuck Finder - What to do with Farrior: No. 1 -- Cut and paste
    ILBs at age 37 aren’t exactly in high demand. So perhaps the Steelers could shed themselves of James Farrior, then come back months later to see if he could return – similar to their OT Max Starks method last fall.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    At this point I really think it's time to look towards the future and get faster on the inside.

Potsie has been a great Steeler, maybe you keep him around in a Hines Ward type of role from 2011 where he's basically just reserve player while you let either Sylvester take over or a draft pick this offseason.

Tough cut but it's time...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    At this point I really think it's time to look towards the future and get faster on the inside.

Potsie has been a great Steeler, maybe you keep him around in a Hines Ward type of role from 2011 where he's basically just reserve player while you let either Sylvester take over or a draft pick this offseason.
    Sylvester definately isn't ready! But I do think it's time to cut Potsie and maybe make him the new LB coach! Foote can handle the duties until whomever we draft takes over!

Farrior is ready for LB coach.

SS will be fine. Let him play. Get the extra pick in round #1 for Wallace. Pick up Adam/Glenn/Konz and Hightower. Move on.

Steelers definitely need to get younger and as much as I appreciate Farrior and what he has done for the team and city, it is time to turn the page. Sly can line up next to LT in the middle and be effective. He just needs reps so he will stop thinking and start reacting. That in itself will help "slow the game down" for Sly.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Sylvester definately isn't ready!
    How do you know please explain?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Sylvester definately isn't ready! But I do think it's time to cut Potsie and maybe make him the new LB coach! Foote can handle the duties until whomever we draft takes over!
    He definitely wasn't ready last year but he had no offseason to work on his craft. He had training camp and preseason and that was it. I think with an entire offseason he might be close enough to consider throwing him in.

I'll be anxious to watch him in camp and keep up with how he's doing in the OTA's.

My Mood
    Fine
    I think the issue is also our Senior Coaches they don't know how to let go. We all love The Steelers but its time to move forward. I understand we cant cut everyone and have too young of a locker room. However, Its time to say good bye to The ones we love. Bye Bye;
    Arron Smith(J.MItchell thinks he has tread left,Really when has he played a full season)
    Casey Hampton (see above, he's due 8 mil. Injury settle 1 mil and bring in for physical at camp time. Same for Mendenhall Injury settle/camp physical)
    James Farrior ( I'd say cut pay keep around to help teach and locker room voice but if you cut ward,cut him too)
    Hines Ward ( THanks for the memories)
    Larry Foote ( not worth 3 mil. However I'd try to trade him during the draft and then cut after)
    CHris K ( sames as Foote try to trade/draft, Cut june 1st to spread out dead money. OTA's might help him stay on roster but needs a pay cut)
    Rashard Mendenhall ** Injury Settle bring in for camp Physical and sign cheap/pup list.

THis saves roughly $25 million by cutting them or retiring them. You could Keep Farrior but at reduced pay and possible Ward at reduced pay if you cant sign Wallace. I still would rather see Ward go instead of getting more concussions.
    Last edited by JollyRob68; 02-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    We need more youth and speed from that spot. Time to release him and keep it moving.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information