Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive staff expected to remain intact

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Defensive staff expected to remain intact

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756277-66.stm

Arians will have at least one other member of the offensive staff to work with -- tight ends coach James Daniel, who is also expected to be retained.

But it is LeBeau, 69, who will have very little disruption to the defensive staff. Tomlin is expected to retain all the defensive coaches from Cowher's staff, including both secondary coaches, Darren Perry and Ray Horton, a surprising development for a coach who employed a different defensive scheme with the Minnesota Vikings. All the coaches from Cowher's staff had at least one year remaining on their contracts.

Earlier, Tomlin was at the team's complex on the South Side and retained another holdover from Cowher's staff -- conditioning coordinator Chet Fuhrman, who also had a year remaining on his contract.
    There's alot of good info in that article so check it all out.

I like that he's retaining our defensive staff. Tomlin will be able mix in his scheme's the way he likes, and Lebeau can continue to work with our 34 defense so it should be a good union in theory atleast. One reason I can think that Tomlin isn't bringing more staff from Minnesota is that he's the one that brought his Tampa2 to the Vikings and he's the one that developed it there so if he's going to bring it here atleast to some degree; then this way he has the freedom to implement it the way he wants and still work with Lebeau.

Chet Fuhrman is a well respected conditioning coach around the league and he's done a great job for us.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm glad to hear hes retaining the Defensive staff. Now lets light a fire and get some good picks in the draft (DAMN GOOD OLB!!!)

"Being back in the saddle and calling plays again is where I want to be," Arians said. "We got a good offensive football team and I want to maintain it and maybe make it a little better."
    I'm happy for Bruce, it sounds like hes really stoked to be OC.

Tomlin needs several other assistant coaches and already has discussed the openings with potential candidates. He has talked to former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Ken Anderson about becoming the team's quarterback coach, apparently replacing Mark Whipple.
    I'm kinda uneasy about Anderson. I've watched him play back in the day and he was a good QB. I don't know anything about him being a coach.

Anderson, the Bengals' all-time leading passer, has been an assistant coach the past four seasons in Jacksonville, the past three as the Jaguars' quarterbacks coach.
    The Jags QB coach? Thats nothin to brag about. He was also the Bungholes QB coach since 1992 before he took the Jax job. What does that tell us?
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 01-24-2007 at 08:35 AM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Sounds greatr to me!~
    We all know Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships!
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Addicted
    Glad to hear about the defense staff. Very good news.

My two big concerns were LeBeau and Perry. Perry just because he's an old Steeler and I personally hope he is promoted when LeBeau calls it quits. Although with Tomlin coming in he might want his own DC when LeBeau leaves. However though it is good that the defensive staff will be staying in tact... the Steelers will still have at least something that didn't change much from last year.

House of Steel
    I am very happy to hear the defensive staff is remaining intacted. This should be a very smooth transaction for the defensive mindset. The offense is going to have some changes being made, but for the better the way it's looking. I am not sold on Anderson being our QB Coach. That is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    ... I am not sold on Anderson being our QB Coach. That is a mistake.
    I'm not too thrilled with that possible move at all either, especially with him being a former Bunghole!!!!

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

House of Steel
    He sure didn't groom Leftwich too well down there in Jacksonville, what makes you think he is going to do well training Ben??? I am not thrilled about this at all. Mark Whipple should of stayed on.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Uggg what is tomlin thinking?

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Anderson scares me too, granted Leftwhich hasn't been all that and gets hurt alot in general, and when he was with the bungholes they were just terrible anyways, but something about him makes me alittle queezy too.

Thread Information