Thread: What exactly is "in the grasp?"

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

What exactly is "in the grasp?"

Hey,

like I alrdy said a couple of times I'm from Germany so I dont have a dad that explained every single football rule to me when I was like 2 years old so I just gotta ask this

What exactly is the "in the grasp" rule that i read about in that other thread? I know it has something to do with the passer, but just a quick explanation would be nice...

thanks in advance
    I'm from Germany - Germans dont know much about Football - Feel free to explain anything, that you think I misunderstood - Dont even start flamming me about my english unless your german is better then my english

its when a player (usually a QB) is being held by mulitple guys trying to bring him down. Its up to the refs discretion but the idea is if theres no chance for a player to escape or increase their forward progress then it can be blow dead even if they arent "down by contact"

for example if a QB has 3 guys hanging on to his legs, this rule stops a 4th guy from flying in and taking off his head

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Or, like when Big Ben has a broken leg and 6 players are tryin to break his other leg and he can't move forward anymore although he keeps tryin. That would be considered "in the grasp". You will not see this type of play being carried out on any of the other NFL teams nor will you see this many players trying to hold on to the QB. It's a Steelers thing. LOL. Just funnin around.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's one of the things that QB's like Ben absolutely hate because they are able to escape so often and make a play. They used to call it all the time back in the 80's and 90's, and then they stopped for awhile. Now it's starting to come back more and athletic QB's hate it.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    If a quarterback is scrambling from the pocket and one man gets his hand on him, he's not down,. In the grasp takes effect only when the man is being held up and there are other defenders around to grab him. He can be in control but the whistle blows only when he's in danger of injury
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

"In the grasp" has two meanings.

1st. Any time a defensive player is within 5 yards of Ben, Ben is technically "in the grasp".

2nd. Tom Brady must have at least 30 seconds to find an open reciever, while being held/tackled by numerous defensive players, to be considered "in the grasp."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool58 View Post
    "In the grasp" has two meanings.

1st. Any time a defensive player is within 5 yards of Ben, Ben is technically "in the grasp".

2nd. Tom Brady must have at least 30 seconds to find an open reciever, while being held/tackled by numerous defensive players, to be considered "in the grasp."
    Indeed, otherwise known as the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady rule.

Thread Information