Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

Bookmark and Share

DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

DID STEELERS YANK RUG FROM GRIMM?

As the media continues to try to understand the process that resulted in conflicting reports regarding whether the Steelers would hire Mike Tomlin or Russ Grimm to be the team's next head coach, the hot rumor at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama (where various league types currently are gathered) is that Grimm was indeed offered the job before it went to Tomlin.

As the story goes, the Steelers called Grimm on Saturday and told him not to believe what the media was reporting about Tomlin. Then, the Steelers and Grimm negotiated a contract, and Grimm was told that he could tell his family that he was the guy, which he did.

But then, as the story goes, Commissioner Roger Goodell got involved and suggested to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney that it would be nice if the Steeler would hire one of the minority candidates, given that the Rooney Rule was named after him. Rooney relented.

On Sunday morning, Rooney met with Art II and Kevin Colbert and told them about the decision. Both initially disagreed because a deal had been done with Grimm. But the contract hadn't been signed, and Art II and Colbert deferred to Dan.

Grimm was then told about the decision, and he was obviously pissed. But, to date, he has been discreet regarding his displeasure, presumably because he plans to continue working in the industry that has only 32 job locations. Tomlin was then called on Sunday afternoon, and he was informed that he was the guy.

One source told us that he has been hearing this rumor "all day" in Alabama. Though we're not saying that any of this actually happened, the mere fact that this story is making the rounds at the Senior Bowl is newsworthy, in our opinion.

Especially since the events that transpired on Saturday night and Sunday were so damn bizarre.

Meanwhile, a reader tells us that Mike Prisuta of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has been insisting in radio appearances that his story linking Grimm to the job was on the money. Though we poked fun at Prisuta's predicament on Sunday, it could be that he was right, after all.
    PFT

Rumor or not, the Rooney's need to address this and put a potential damaging fire out ASAP.
    Last edited by Friday133; 01-23-2007 at 10:28 PM.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I rarely believe anything from that site and the fact that it says the commish (a new one at that) basically made the choice for them sounds really untrue.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

PFT seems to understand all the coaching moves though. Again, Rooney needs to step up and deny this thing, more so than he's already done.

If this is true, I will truly despise Roger Goodell. Especially considering Rooney was one of his supporters and the guy who told him he got the commisioner's job.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

i think the rooney's make their own choices and would not be pressured to change them

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    i think the rooney's make their own choices and would not be pressured to change them
    I think thats the bottom line.

However if this is true then Goodell really needs to STFU. The Rooney's followed the rules to begin with so him saying something was totally unnecessary.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    that is some straight up bullshit....... that bullshit doesn't deserve an answer from dan rooney.......the media is just trying to make a story out of nothing........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    In my heart of hearts there's no way the Rooney's would do this to Grimm. They have a reputation and way of doing things that is above all else, the class way it should be done.

Prisuta may have gotten facts from what he thought was a reliable source but obviously it wasn't. Art and Dan already made a statement yesterday that the job was never offered to Grimm officially and that's all anybody should need. They may have told Grimm that he was the front runner, they may have not, but in any event until it's signed on the dotted line it's not official. Grimm would have left if he wasn't in the running in the first place and he left when he didn't get it. Im sure he's upset, I don't blame him, but he's moved on and the Steelers realized that there would be tension in the ranks had he stayed on with Tomlin so they granted his release.

Goodell Im sure talked to the Rooneys' during this process and I would imagine that topic came up of the Rooney rule but Goodell is in no position to be telling us who our head coach should be. He's the Commissioner but he doesnt know our team like the Rooney's and I'd have a hard time believing they'd give in if they knew Tomlin wasn't the right guy.

PFT is complete bunch of goofs, I don't trust anything they put out.

Maybe Grimm was **** drunk and thought he got the job, hence the confusion. The more I reflect on the hiring the more I'm glad Grimm didn't get it.

House of Steel
    That article is a crock of bullshit. This shouldn't even have to be talked about. We all know the Rooneys would never pull a stunt like that ever. Who in their right mind would believe the commissoner of the NFL would get involved in hiring a coach for a franchise? This story is totally false and nothing more than adding fuel to a damn fire the media started in the first place of that bullshit this past weekend. LET IT GO, TOMLIN IS THE COACH.

THIS NEEDS TO BE CLOSED.

Thread Information