Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pass Defense Steelers and Bucs

Bookmark and Share

Pass Defense Steelers and Bucs

I know some of us might be a little worried about Tomlin’s pass defense, but here’s a comparison between the Steelers and the Bucs (Tomlin coached secondary) on each team’s pass defense rankings (yards allowed/game) from 2001… according to the stats from NFL.com.

Year Bucs Steelers
    2005 6th 16th
    2004 1st 4th
    2003 23rd 10th
    2001 5th 4th
    Avg 8.75 8.50

So, the average for these 4 years are pretty close… still not good enough for Steelers brand of football, but not as bad as I originally thought.

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Minnesota's pass defense was terrible last year but they were first again the run. The passing stats were low mainly because nobody ever ran on them so they passed all the time and Vikings secondary went through injury and personnel issues so they weren't equipped to handle the passing barrage that they experienced. We have good safeties and our CB's will be tested so it will be interesting to see how they respond.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Lambert View Post
    I know some of us might be a little worried about Tomlin’s pass defense, but here’s a comparison between the Steelers and the Bucs (Tomlin coached secondary) on each team’s pass defense rankings (yards allowed/game) from 2001… according to the stats from NFL.com.

Year Bucs Steelers
    2005 6th 16th
    2004 1st 4th
    2003 23rd 10th
    2001 5th 4th
    Avg 8.75 8.50

So, the average for these 4 years are pretty close… still not good enough for Steelers brand of football, but not as bad as I originally thought.
    What happened their

But if Tomlin can get our pass defense to play anywhere close to as well as Tampa's did while he was there, AND keep our run D great and force teams to pass against us all the time like they did to the Vikings, that will give our LBs a chance to pin their ears back and blitz all the time. I think the reason Tomlin's pass defense in Minnesota was so bad was that his defense didn't have all the parts it needed to be successful, like better DBs and a good pass rush.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We can't judge his defensive abilities based on a vikings defense that was terrible in 2005 and made great strides in 2006. They had alot of work to do in the secondary and had Tomlin stayed on in Minnesota they'd probably be even better.

Tampa has been getting older and older over the years and they don't have the speed and talent they had back in the day.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i think he's gonna be good for ike taylor, he's gonna teach ike the fundamentals of being a cb, ike hasn't always been a corner and is still somewhat learning so having tomlin might do him some good
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I agree, Ike should make out pretty well with this philosphy of Tomlin and the fundamentals he will stress. Cowher stressed them too but the change for Ike especially could be a welcome one.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well one story I read about Tomlin is when he was the DB coach of the Bucs. He had them run this drill called every day drills. Players like John Lynch at first where saying these are high school drills but they did make the Bucs better with fundamentals. Not saying Cowher didn't stress fundamentals. He did but sometimes the "little things" get over looked and I look for the whole Steelers secondary to be better.
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 01-24-2007 at 12:24 AM.

My question is, will Tomlin have our CBs FINALLY stop giving WRs such a huge cusion at the line of scrimmage?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Well one story I read about Tomlin is when he was the DB coach of the Bucs. He had them run this drill called every day drills. Players like John Lynch at first where saying these are high school drills but they did make the Bucs better with fundamentals. Not saying Cowher didn't stress fundaments. He did but sometimes the "little things" get over looked and I look for the whole Steelers secondary to be better.
    Thats what I like to hear....Fundamentals.....Back to basics. Tomlin's presence and being a D coach will only help and improve our D.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information