Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliving Super Bowl XIII

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Reliving Super Bowl XIII

I watched the entire SB XIII original broadcast on NFLN last night. I don't remember that game as I was too young, the only one I remember from the 70's teams was XIV.

What a great experience to see it full and unedited with the actual players we've all talked about that are now legends and in the HOF, playing in their prime in the world championship game.

It was amazing to see first hand everything that we always heard about the Steel Curtain defense. Those front 4 were just amazing as we all know but seeing them doing it in a real game and not some replay or highlight show you see somewhere was amazing. Every single snap, by the time Staubach dropped back to pass the pass rush was already in the backfield consistently and sacking him, flushing him out of the pocket, or making him hurry a throw, it was just wild !

Seeing Lambert and Ham taking on the RB's or coming up the middle to blow up the play was awesome ! Donnie Shell as we know was known as being a huge hitter but seeing lay the smack down in his hay day was great.

It was just a cool experience that if you can see it, you owe it to yourself to view the Steel Curtain in it's prime. Harris, Bradshaw, Blier, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, it just doesnt get any better than that !

**notice I keep saying "amazing" in this thread, because there's just no other word to describe them**

My Mood
    Addicted
    I only caught like 5 minutes of it. I wish I would have tivo'ed it. If anyone did I would be interested in a copy.

House of Steel
    same here since some damn theif stoled all four of my copies of the Super Bowls that I gotten from a dear good friend last Christmas. I miss them games. I would love to get them again.

I only got to see about 30 mins of it and i dont remember any of it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I missed the first 30 minutes of it but I DVR'd the rest. I believe i caught it midway through the first quarter. I'm going to watch it again this week.

Ive seen highlights shows on ESPN and such over the years but I never saw the actual game in it's entirety from beginning to end. For those here that are old enough to have seen them in person and experience the Steel Curtain in it's prime, I to you !

It was awesome! It's amazing how different football was back then. I was in my mother's tummy during that game so I can only remember my Dad yelling at the TV (hahahaha) No really though, it was fun to get to relive those days I missed before I was born and to watch how hard they could hit people and no penalties.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That was something that was cool to see as you mentioned, all the HUGE hits that todays' league would cry foul on and throw a personal foul penalty. Big hits on the QB, helmet to helmet to contact, guys flying through the air and laying the wood, these guys were the true tough guys that you just don't see anymore, nor would the league allow.

yes they were. They were much smaller but they hit HARD!!!! My favorite hit in the game was near the end when Wagner picked up the reciever, never let his feet touch the ground, and carried him back 5 yards before body slamming him to the ground. I waited for a flag, but no flag....it was awesome!

House of Steel
    I miss the real NFL from the 70s. Matt, you have no idea how I would love to live in that era and see football in a real sense.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    I miss the real NFL from the 70s. Matt, you have no idea how I would love to live in that era and see football in a real sense.
    I agree if I could go back in time it would be to the 70s to see the Steelers win all those SBs and I heard that city was amazing during the Steelers SB runs!

Thread Information