Thread: Players have confidence in Rooney's decision

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Players have confidence in Rooney's decision

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756028-66.stm

Steelers players say they preferred the in-house candidates for coaching job, but defer to Rooneys' expertiseI'm quite sure Kevin [Colbert] and the Rooneys made a good decision. All the reports I hear about people who know coach Mike said he's a great guy. I'm excited." -- Larry Foote, Steelers linebacker

Tuesday, January 23, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers players did not break into a dance to celebrate the news that Mike Tomlin would be their new coach, but they hope the owners' track record on such moves proves itself for the third time in the past 38 years.

"I thought there were good candidates in-house," said All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, an offensive co-captain. "But the Rooneys know what they're doing. They had two coaches in 38 years. I think they have the system down."

Faneca said last week that he thought his line coach, Russ Grimm, would "make a great head coach." Grimm and Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera were the other finalists.

Virtually every player polled before and after Bill Cowher resigned Jan. 5 said they would like to see the Steelers promote one of their assistant coaches, either Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt, the offensive coordinator who since became Arizona's head coach.

Steelers president Art Rooney and chairman Dan Rooney picked Tomlin on Sunday, after they and football operations director Kevin Colbert interviewed all five of the original candidates.

"I'm surprised, I guess you could say," defensive end Brett Keisel said of the choice. "I said this before, I have the most confidence in the Rooneys to select a coach -- they have, and now we can move forward."

"I'm quite sure Kevin and the Rooneys made a good decision," linebacker Larry Foote said. "All the reports I hear about people who know coach Mike said he's a great guy. I'm excited."

Some defensive players were relieved when they learned that Tomlin planned to keep coordinator Dick LeBeau in place. The Steelers have run a 3-4 defense since 1983.

"I heard LeBeau's staying," Foote said. "I don't think our defense will have any problems."

Tomlin ruled over a 4-3 defense as the Minnesota Vikings' coordinator, the same defense that was run in Tampa Bay when he was the Buccaneers' secondary coach for five years. It's possible he could add some wrinkles to LeBeau's defense.
    Starks was on sportsbeat tonight on FSN talking about the coach and he thoguht they'd get Whiz or Grimm to coach the team but he's excited to see what the era brings and how things will be run.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Bear with me here....If I had worked with certain people for years, knew what they were like, knew how they worked, etc, and the boss asked me which employee I'd hang my hat on to take over as new manager--and every single other employee agreed with me that this certain person would be a great fit...and then the boss went and hired a person NONE of us had ever met or worked with, I think I'd be a tad ticked off. I'd wonder why they bothered to ASK us our opinion to begin with, if it meant that little. I'd also think that they thought I had NO idea what I was talkin about if they chose to disregard mine and everyone else's idea.

Two q's...I know our guys would probably never say it publicly, but ...
    A: Do any of you think that any of THEM feel this way?
    B: Would it be hard for you to continue to work for someone who didn't value you and your opinion as a professional?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    not really, because i don't remember hearing that the rooney's asked em how they felt, i thought they were just answering media questions......they know it's a business and that stuff like this is gonna happen....or at least i hope they know it's a business lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    A: Do any of you think that any of THEM feel this way?
    Yes, I'm sure some do.
    B: Would it be hard for you to continue to work for someone who didn't value you and your opinion as a professional?
    Since when do the players run the team? They need to respect the people above them. Sometimes, like in any business, the new boss needs to earn the respect of the employees.
    Let me give you something from my own line of work.
    I supervise from time to time. Basically fill in when needed. I'm a union member for my craft also. I'm also very good friends with some of these people. But let's say that I am up for a full time supervisor job. Upper management goes to the employees and asks who they want. They say me because why?
    1 - I'm a friend
    2 - They think they can get away with more because of that
    This is kind of long for ? B, but you won't find many jobs where the employees can pick their boss. The Rooneys have been in this business for a long time and know what they are doing. The players are going to do what they can to look out for themselves. It's just natural.

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

I would never ask an employee who they think should be hired as that is a responsibility the employer has. After they have been hired I would ask the supervisior of the department at one of our weekly meetings "how is the new guy in your department coming along? Is he a quick learner, etc, etc, etc" If that new hire is not making it, he is gone because he is hired under the guidelines of a trial hire, for 3 months. But the actual hiring falls on the employers shoulders as they are the ones who sign the checks.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Not that it matter, but what were the players suppose to say?

" No I think it was a horrible choice! " I dont think that will happen! Maybe if we had TO

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im sure there are more than a few that are upset that they didn't promote from within, I would be too as I mentioned. Most of our guys have been around the league for a while now as Cowher's players so there will be an adjustment period but it will be interesting to see how they react to adversity under this new coach.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    I think it's basic human nature (for most people) to resist change. Familiarity is always more comfortable. It doesn't always mean it's the best thing for the future or the overall good.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
    I think it's basic human nature (for most people) ...
    That's what I was referring to FCG. I know they're "Pros", but at the end of the day, they're still human. They probably have the same fears, insecurities, etc as we do. So knowing most people the way I do, and even going by how EYE'D feel, I have a feeling some are gonna be a bit upset (or worried) at the change--at least at first.

Thanks for all the input guys -- love getting other people's POV

Thread Information