Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USC O-coordinator Kiffin to be Raiders next coach

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

USC O-coordinator Kiffin to be Raiders next coach

well.......now grimm has no more choices, back to a position coach where he belongs lol

and now tomlin is no longer the youngest head coach

After failing to land Southern California assistant head coach Steve Sarkisian, the Oakland Raiders reached an agreement in principle on Monday to hire Trojans offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, ESPN.com has learned.

Kiffin accepted a five-year deal to be Art Shell's replacement. Late last week, Kiffin was offered the offensive coordinator job under Sarkisian. But Sarkisian turned down Oakland's offer, and the Raiders were left scrambling.

On Sunday, Raiders owner Al Davis reached out again to Kiffin, son of Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. Kiffin flew to Oakland Sunday night and spent all day Monday talking to Davis. As the evening approached, negotiations for a contract started and concluded quickly.

The 31-year-old Kiffin has been a six-year member of Pete Carroll's staff. Carroll hired him to coach tight ends in 2001. Kiffin switched to coaching wide receivers in 2002. In 2004, Kiffin took over passing game coordinator duties. Kiffin was then promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005. He also had recruiting coordinator responsibilities.

Davis has a long history of hiring young, offensive-minded head coaches and he particularly likes offensive play-callers. Kiffin has done that at the highest level of college football for the past few years. He's worked with top NFL draft prospects such as wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett and former Lions first-round pick Mike Williams, another wideout.

Kiffin spent the 2000 season in Jacksonville as a defensive quality control coach working with defensive backs.

As a player, Kiffin was a quarterback for Fresno State from 1994 to 1996. He was a three-sport high school star in Bloomington, Minn. He started his coaching career after college working as a grad assistant at Fresno State.

Kiffin is expected to keep Rob Ryan as his defensive coordinator.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2739645
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well Dallas needs a coach with tuna retiring. Back to the topic at hand. Man Kiffin has his work cut out for him. The Raiders have a solid defense but nothing and I mean nothing on offense to work with. I guess Randy Moss but if Randy isn't happy then he isn't any good.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Raiders are a complete train wreck ! The whole organization is is terrible and Al Davis refuses to change his ways. Kiffin most definately has his work cut out for him, and if the Raiders don't take a franchise QB with their first round pick the entire organization should be dismantled and sold on ebay !

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    they need to draft russell, and then trade moss and porter for some decent draft picks and then work on the oline and a wr or 2 in the draft........that defense is solid so there isn't much work they need to do there, maybe a tweak here and there but over all it's pretty badass
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The Raiders are a complete train wreck ! The whole organization is is terrible and Al Davis refuses to change his ways. Kiffin most definately has his work cut out for him, and if the Raiders don't take a franchise QB with their first round pick the entire organization should be dismantled and sold on ebay !
    Its time for Uncle Al to step back and let someone thats up with the NFL times take that control of that team. Plus Al Davis doesn't give his coaches much say or power within the organization since he is a control freak. So I really think its going to be tough for Kiffin. The only thing that might work for Kiffin is he should be able to relate to the players more then Art Shell did.

I have a good friend thats a diehard Raiders fan and all I can say is that I'm happy the Steelers will never become the mess the Raiders are currently are.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    they need to draft russell, and then trade moss and porter for some decent draft picks and then work on the oline and a wr or 2 in the draft........that defense is solid so there isn't much work they need to do there, maybe a tweak here and there but over all it's pretty badass
    I would take Russell over Quinn so I agree with that Koop. Trading Moss and Porter would be a good idea. But I doubt the Raiders could get much for them. Yes I know both are very good WR's talent wise but they're stocks have fallen since they have **** poor attitudes. So if the Raiders are willing to take less value for them both they both will be traded.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I'm so sorry to hear this. When is the funeral? Going to oakland. Where coaches go to die.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this. When is the funeral? Going to oakland. Where coaches go to die.
    You couldn't pay me $20 million a season to coach that pathetic team.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Its time for Uncle Al to step back and let someone thats up with the NFL times take that control of that team. Plus Al Davis doesn't give his coaches much say or power within the organization since he is a control freak. So I really think its going to be tough for Kiffin. The only thing that might work for Kiffin is he should be able to relate to the players more then Art Shell did.

I have a good friend thats a diehard Raiders fan and all I can say is that I'm happy the Steelers will never become the mess the Raiders are currently are.

That's the whole problem is that while Rooneys have been owners as long as Al Davis has and longer, that they have adapted to the new NFL over the decades while Al Davis still thinks he's in the 70's and won't change anything so yes Kiffin will have a tough road ahead of him no matter what.

This signing by the Raiders is an absolute joke!!! This dude is nothing and is going to do nithing but continue the losing tradition of the Raiders. He might no offensive schemes but that's about it... hopefully the Raiders can get an assistant with some experience to help this dude out!

Thread Information