Thread: Tomlin Press Conference transcript....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Tomlin Press Conference transcript....

In case you guys missed the announcement. Heres what was said.....

Mike Tomlin was introduced as the new coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The 34-year-old follows in the recent tradition of defensive-minded coaches taking the reigns at a young age. Here's the transcript of his press conference:

ART ROONEY II

Good afternoon. Weíre excited today to announce that Mike Tomlin will be the next head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I want to welcome Mike and his wife Kiya to Pittsburgh. Pretty soon weíll be welcoming their three children here and look forward to getting to know them and having them become part of the Steeler family.

Before I introduce Mike, I want to thank all of the people who participated in our process, particularly Ron Rivera and Russ Grimm. Itís a long process and a lot of probing, and patience is required. Obviously, I also want to thank Mike, Coach Brad Childress and all the people up at the Vikings who again were very patient with the process in allowing us access to Mike and kind of putting their lives in a holding pattern while we were going through the process so we appreciate that.

Mike Tomlin is first and foremost a good person. That is the first test that you have to pass, and Mike certainly passed that test with flying colors. I think in addition to that Mikeís core values are a good match for our organization. Mike wants to play the kind of football that has been the kind of football that the Pittsburgh Steelers have played and he will bring that approach, I think, to our team. And I think heíll play the kind of football that Steelers fans have come to appreciate through the years. Without further ado, Iím very pleased to introduce the next coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin.

MIKE TOMLIN

Good afternoon. I think first and foremost my wife and I would like to give honor and thanks to God for opening this door for our family, bringing us to this great city of Pittsburgh. Without a doubt, weíd like to thank the Rooney family for having an interest in us and allowing me to take part in this process and naming me head coach.

Itís a great honor to be a part of one of the most storied franchises in all of professional sports. Weíve come to grips with what that means, but weíre having fun. We intend to make no bold predictions about what weíre going to do. What we are going to do is promise to have a first-class, blue collar work ethic in how we approach our business.

Anything surprise you about the interview process?

Nothing really surprised me about the process, I think just because I was personally prepared for anything. It was parts unknown, if you will. Thatís the way I approached it and really I wasnít too much surprised by anything.

Do you feel any extra pressure because of the success this team has had recently?

No. Thereís pressure, we all feel a little pressure in this business. Thatís part of the reason why we do what we do. We embrace that, I embrace that and look forward to meeting those challenges.

What are you thoughts on Tony Dungy?

We donít have enough time for me to talk about how I feel about Coach Dungy. But Iím very happy for him and Lovie Smith and what transpired yesterday; two deserving men. My relationship and respect and admiration for coach Dungy goes beyond football. Heís a life mentor for me, and Iíll just leave it at that.

Thereís a report you will keep Dick LeBeau. Is that true, and what about the other assistant coaches here?

I will confirm that, but in terms about talking about other assistants I donít want to get too far down the line in terms of discussing that. I think itís going to take some discussion and planning from a lot of people. But, yes, anybody in this business knows and has a great deal of respect for Coach LeBeau and I look forward to having the opportunity to work with him.

LeBeau runs the zone blitz and you run the 4-3 cove- 2, how do you plan to make that work?

I think part of good coaching is doing what your guys do and what they do well. Weíll maximize what theyíre capable of doing, and if that means sitting some personal preferences and beliefs schematically aside, Iím willing to do that. Xs and Os can be overrated at times. Youíll find that we will be fundamentalist in our approach and weíll put guys in position to execute and execute at a high level. So whatever theyíre capable of doing, thatís what weíll do.

More on Lebeau:

I really think you just look at your personnel and what they do well and what puts them in position to win, and obviously retaining Coach LeBeau is a big part of that.

What kind of offense would you like to see?

A fundamentalist football team that wins by attrition, thatís mentally and physically tough. Of course, thereís no secret in the National Football League, in order to win you have to stop the run and you have to run the ball effectively. To be general, thatís what our football team will be about.

This organization has a history of being patient with coaches. Was that part of your intrigue?

Iím not a very patient person. I donít know anybody thatís successful in this business, from a coaching standpoint, thatís very patient. Iím working on it. But thatís exciting. To have an opportunity to have a place where your kids can grow up and call home, particularly a place like Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is awesome.

Are you as calm as you appear? Do you find this situation overwhelming?

I always slow it down because I donít want to miss something. I like to take moments like these in. Iím truly blessed to be here. I know this is not my plan; this is Godís plan. So I find comfort in that.

What do you like about this team?

That they are physically and mentally tough. They have a reputation for being that. Got some quality players; their resume speaks for themselves. And Iím sure the recent Super Bowl success and failure that followed will make them a hungry group of men.

Most of the players on the team are not that much younger than you. How are you going to gain their respect?

I donít think it will take them long to realize that my goals as a coach are no different than any other coach theyíve ever had. I think mutual respect is required. Iíve got a job to do from a coaching standpoint; theyíve got a job to do from a playerís standpoint. My age is my age. Iíve never had a problem with men. When I broke into the league I coached John Lynch. John is older than me. I donít anticipate it being a problem, and really more than anything I just look forward to getting to know the men and moving forward.

Two African-American men just qualified for the Super Bowl and another African-American was named coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Could you comment on that?

I acknowledge that it is significant. Iím just happy for those men because I know them personally. Theyíve been very supportive and active in my development as a coach and as a man. Iím happy for them because I know them. I guess weíll make true advances in this business when itís no longer an issue, and I know that Coach Dungy has said that on several occasions. I think on a personal level Iím just happy for those men because I know what kind of men they are. I know what kind of coaches they are. I know how they approach their jobs and they deserve what they get from this point.

What influence has your brother been during this process?

My brother is my big brother. Everyone that has one understands what thatís about. He was a measuring stick for everything that I did athletically. He drove me in just about every way. Weíve always had that relationship and Iím happy that he can feel a part of that. He should feel a part of that. Some of my toughest battles were in my backyard and thatís the way it should be.

How were your wife and children involved in this process and how excited are they?

Thatís how we make decisions. We make decisions as a family. Our children are probably too young right now to be actively involved in some of those things. My wife and I, we talk quite a bit and we talk about not only whatís good for us, whatís good for me professionally, but whatís good for our children. I think thatís the number one job that we have here. We know what living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvaniaís about for a family.

Was the interview process confusing, considering this weekendís reports?

Not confusing for me. The Rooneys were very upfront about the process Ė where it was going and how it was going. At times I thought some of the reports, the false reports, were comical. It wasnít necessarily funny when they werenít going in my favor, but, you know, itís part of the process. I understand that. Really, the two men competing yesterday and what happened in the NFL this weekend was a nice diversion for us. We sat in the basement and cheered for Coach Dungy and Coach Smith.

What is your demeanor like on the sideline?

I probably couldnít answer that. Youíve probably got to ask those that are around me. I donít pay attention to those around me. I donít pay attention to how I behave. I just try to be myself. I can be emotional at times I guess but for the most part I tend to lean on the side of being calm because I like to think clearly at times like that.

What do you think of being 34 years old, when as a coach not that young?

Every day I go to work I look to learn. Iíve been blessed enough to be around some great coaches and some great strategists, some great leaders of men. I feel like I learned a lot from all those people, but at the same time I realize that I have to be myself. I am who I am as a coach. I donít characterize it as a 34-year-old coach or a 34-year-old coach with experience. Iím just a football coach.

Are you comfortable with all the scrutiny that will follow you?

I guess I have some sense of that but you know it comes with the territory and thatís okay.

How did you get the news?

I was standing in my basement watching the football game and Art Rooney called. Needless to say I took the call and was very excited; tried not to show him. It was a great family time. We were in the basement with our three children watching football like a lot of families on Sunday at this time of year. It was awesome.

So it happened yesterday afternoon?

Yes.

In regards to the coaching staff, do you know any of the current Steelersí coaches and have you spoken to them?

Yes I do know a few of the guys on staff. Coaching itself is a big fraternity and I have a great mutual respect for guys through competition and conferences and things of that nature. I just think right now it would be best if I didnít touch on staffing at this time. That will sort itself out over the next few days.

What is your overall thought about Pittsburgh and what do you know about the city?

I came to this city when I was about 12 to play in a little league football game. I rode the inclines and those things. Some of my roommates from college were Pittsburgh guys -- Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon -- so I know quite a bit about the attitude of people from the city and the great deal of pride that they have from being from here. I look forward to learning more.

You had not heard anything from the Rooneys Saturday, they didnít contact you until Sunday?

Yes.

What is your schedule now? Will you go to Mobile, Alabama to look at coaches?

Yes. And there are some players down there as well. I think thatís job one. Coaches are overrated. You have good players, you have a chance. Weíll fly to Mobile tomorrow morning to just get rolling with the process.

Will you interview coaches there though?

Iíll talk to some coaches, yes.

What are your thoughts on Ben Roethlisberger and how do you plan to use him?

Heís a franchise quarterback. Like any other position and any other player on this team, we need to be fundamentalists in how we approach our business. We need to be students of the game. I look forward to working with Ben in that regard. Iím excited about having an opportunity to work with a young man who is talented who has also had some of the life experiences of being a professional athlete that he has had. Heís a world champion.

How much control will you have over personnel, bringing in guys, cutting the roster?

Weíll detail some of those things as we go down the line. The one thing that turned me on about this organization is that itís a collective effort with how we do things. Nothing is heaped upon one specific person. I look forward to working with Kevin (Colbert) on personnel matters and Iím excited about that. I really am.

As it relates to Kevin specifically, do you find yourself aligned with him philosophically not only as you look at players now, but on down the line as well?

I think that we will collectively grow as we work together. I think our core beliefs when it comes to football are very similar. Some of those things will be addressed as we find a comfort level working together.

How does a wide receiver in college develop an attitude that he likes to run the ball and coach defense?

I wasnít a very good wide receiver obviously. No, playing personality and coaching personality are two different things. Iíve learned that over time. That happens to be my coaching personality.

Have any players called you yet? Have you called any players yet and when will you meet with the team?

I havenít spoken with any players, Iím sure that will happen over the next couple of days.

The fact that you have a young franchise quarterback, will continuity be a factor with whom you select with your offensive staff so that Ben will have some continuity?

Continuity is a factor. Itís not the only factor. Weíre looking for good men who happen to be good coaches.

Your ascension speaks well of your abilities. There might be fans out there who are concerned that you only have one year as a coordinator at the NFL level. I know youíve spoken about your age, can you speak about that?

I canít worry about concerns that other people might have. Iíve been hired to do a job here and I intend to do it at a high level.

Back in 2002, you had Ronde Barber and John Lynch make the Pro Bowl. Can you do that same thing here?

I think thatís just hardware that you earn along the way as you compete for a championship. That has to be our goal: To put consistently winning football teams on the field and compete for a championship on a year-in year-out basis. Things like division championships and Pro Bowls, thatís just hardware you pick up along the way.

You mentioned scouting and having current players do what they do best. But in scouting, will you scout for 3-4 or 4-3 players?

I think, and again, Iím not avoiding the questions, but as coaches, we have to be flexible to do what our guys do well. I think that if we say that this is our personality and this is all weíre looking for as a player, then we might miss out on someone that has special skills. It is going to be a blending of both if weíre going to have a chance to be consistently good over a long period of time.

Then you could foresee using a 3-4 front and a 4-3 front in the same game?

Sure, why not?

For a long time there was that trophy case in there with four trophies in it. That kind of hung over this franchise for a long time. As you walk by that case now, is there pressure to put a sixth one in there?

I just walked by it one day. Itís just purely motivation. I guess all you want as a coach is to be part of something special. Itís obvious what has been done here has been special. You want to be a part of that legacy, that history. Iím honored to be here and I look forward to pursuing those goals.

Do expect to contend for a Super Bowl next year?

I think itís our goal to contend for it every year.

You called coach Dungy a life mentor and a lot of us have known Coach Dungy for a lot of years Ė youíve even used a couple of coach Dungyís phrases in this press conference. Is it a stretch to say that the Steelers are getting a coach Dungy-like coach?

No. Iím not going to give myself that much credit. Coach Dungy is Coach Dungy. Heís meant a lot to me, but at the same time, Iíve got to be myself.

For the skeptics, why should they feel good about Mike Tomlin being the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers?

I promise that Iím going to blue collar on how I approach this. I will work truly hard and we will work smart.

Have you spoken with Russ Grimm?

I have not.

Do you plan to do that?

Iím sure I will.

Your qualifications speak for themselves. But would you have gotten this job if not for the Rooney Rule?

I personally canít answer that. Speaking to the Rooney Rule, I think itís a positive thing. It gives people an opportunity to present themselves, their ideas, their visions. The decisions that people make after that are based on who they think is capable of doing the job. I think itís been an awesome experience and it helped open the door for me that may not have been opened had it not been for the rule. But I think once you get into the competition phase of it and youíre competing for work, men like the Rooneys want to win and they want to hire men who give them the best chance to do that.

Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin. Have you thought about that?

No, I try not to. Iím somewhat of a football historian. Iíve got a great deal of respect for those who came before me. Iím going to try my best to provide a shoulder for those who come after me to stand on.

Have you traced your tree all the way back?

Yes.

Do you know who sits at the top?

Yes.

Who sits at the top?

Of my tree? It just depends on which tree youíre talking about.

When you go back, itís Dungy, Noll, Paul Brown, Jock Sutherland, Pop Warner. Youíre five degrees removed from Pop Warner.

Weíre reaching now.

How old are your kids and do they understand that dadís the coach of the Steelers?

I have a six-year-old son, Michael Dean. I have a five-year-old son, Mason. I have an eight-month-old daughter, Harlyn Quinn. They understand that daddyís got a new job. They couldnít understand the first time they saw reports on TV and they saw the Pittsburgh symbol behind my head. They thought I was a traitor. They understood it about as well as a five and six-year-old probably are capable of. The funny thing is that it is whatís normal to them. Itís all that they know. So from that standpoint, itís not anything awkward.

By By SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Jan 22, 2007

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    and you can watch the full thing here

http://kdka.com/video/?id=24058@kdka.dayport.com
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    and you can watch the full thing here

http://kdka.com/video/?id=24058@kdka.dayport.com
    NIIIIIICE! I like what he had to say. I think he will be a good head coach, he seems strong, enthusiastic and excited about coaching.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Thread Information