Thread: Webside for Football Tactics

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

Webside for Football Tactics

Hey there,

I've been reading steeleraddicts for quite some time now so i thought i might as well as this here.

anyway...i'm from germany and i have been following the nfl for like 2 years now and i'm finally starting to understand all the different formations and stuff...you see since football is like one of the most unpopular sports in germany so you dont really know anything concerning tactics and formations...

so here is my question...is there any god webside or youtube video or a movie in general that really explains different tactics and formations...at a, lets say, beginner to advance level...the only once i can find are either like "football is a game played with 11 players on each side" - stuff or its a 30 min movie about one particular play...

I was hoping for something like a video of a certain formation in a game and then the play stops and someone explains why this is a good run / pass defense and whats so special about it...same goes for the offensive side...or maybe like a video explaining a play from the view of a runningback and why he choose to cut it back and not shoot the gap...

maybe something like the chalk talk they do on steelers.com but maybe with the focus a bit more towards general tactics instead of one certain play...

and since i am from germany i highly appriciate a movie or clip or video with picture material because its way easier for me to understand when i see what they are talking about then when there are just X's and O's once every page and the rest is just text...

however i hope somebody can help me out because next year i want to understand what "cover 1 (cover 2, cover 0 or whatever is) and not just wanna watch the steelers (as entertaining as it is)

greeting,

mc_muffin

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Welcome to America. Try this for starters: http://tinyurl.com/7wsky8c
    You most assuredly wil want to Google this string of words "NFL rules, regulatiions, and formations". Start your in-depth studies with the "ehow topics first" then go for the actual rules and regulations followed by just about any question you can think of. Remember that an NFL team is comprised of an Offensive Unit, a Defensive Unit and a Special Teams Unit. Comprised of the same number of players (11) but, not necessarily the same 11 players in each unit. Confusing yes but, a little reading will make clear how this works. Don't forget the American Football for Dummies series of books. Stupid title but inteligent reading. My 2cents worth only. Just tryin to help. You will learn a lot by visiting this website and following the threads closely. The best place you can be on the web for American Football read "Steelers" right here. By the way, unless you are Albert Einstien or someone of his calibre don't expect to learn this American football in a short period of time. And most importantly take no offense at help offered good or bad. The game is a sport for fun and maximum entertainment in America. The team you choose to be a fan of is the most important choice you will make when following the game. Choose wisely. May I recommend the Pittsburgh Steelers. Please don't ask me for answers concerning this sport. I have only been following it for long long time and still haven't figured it out. In all fun, I hope you learn about the basics of the game as it does make watching more enjoyable.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hey mc_muffin! Glad to see you've been enjoying the site and NFL football! Rivers put up some really good information for you.

Here is an example of some good basic information in graph form and explained.

http://football.about.com/cs/a/defformations.htm

I don't know of any instructional videos off the top of my head but I'll try and do some digging for you

Waterboy
    Well first of all i am impressed on how fast you answered me

However I think you kinda misunderstood me a bit. I know the rules of the game (at least like most of it...i havn't figured out why sometimes people on offense need to report alligeble (or however you spell that :P) but that doesnt seem to be important)...I lived in the States 10 years ago when i was like 12 or so, and you cant make friends with anybody in the USA without playing football

What i meant was something more detailed...like for example sometimes on your podcast (god i love your podcast, thats like my weekly highlight because besides that i have nobody to talk to about football...like i said football isnt that popular in germany) back to topic: sometimes on your podcast somebody says that he is "beginning to read the play by the offensive formation"...i wanna do that too i know that the game is complex and the whole point is to not let the defense know what your are going to do, but at least some basic information on why a "cover 2" ist a better pass defense then like a cover 1?

Nevertheless huge thanks for your websides, i'll be checking them today!

Mc_Muffin

Edit: Like the first webside (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...or-next-season) is a bit to much basic information (thanks anyways) and the second side (http://football.about.com/cs/a/defformations.htm) thats kinda what i was looking for only with like a video, because its easier for me to follow and its (lets be honest) more entertaining
    Last edited by Mc_Muffin; 02-08-2012 at 04:39 AM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If you ever want to come on a podcast with us, I'm sure we'd have a good time man. We usually record them on Monday evenings around 8pm EST. I don't know how that works for your schedule but just something to think about.

If I come across any good videos I'll post them up.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    In addition to everything you will learn you can pratice on the simulator i.e. Madden NFL.

Peace out.

And their fans.

the book take your eye off the ball by pat kirwin explains formations and plays such as passing routes as well.. it is interesting and can give you a new way to watch the games

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's a great point Nick, plus you can get it in audio form too from his website. Tim Ryan talks about it all the time on Sirius.

http://www.patkirwan.com/

Waterboy
    I alrdy checked the book out and I found it really interesting so I ordered it...i am looking forward to reading it. I might post a short review here if you guys are interested.

Mc Muffin
    I'm from Germany - Germans dont know much about Football - Feel free to explain anything, that you think I misunderstood - Dont even start flamming me about my english unless your german is better then my english

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Muffin View Post
    I alrdy checked the book out and I found it really interesting so I ordered it...i am looking forward to reading it. I might post a short review here if you guys are interested.

Mc Muffin
    that would be cool! i would love to read someone else's view on it!

Thread Information