Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2011 Superbowl from a german point of view

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

The 2011 Superbowl from a german point of view

Hey,

like the name alrdy says, i'm from germany and i watched the superbowl in munich with like 200 - 300 other guys. now keep in mind that most germans dont really know that much about football (for example i think i was like the only one that really understood what happened on the play with the safety)

anyhow: when i listened to the opinion of some germans after the game mostly claimed, that new england would have won, if the recievers caught the ball towards the end of the game.

i know that the may be right about that (i mean if welker would have caught that ball the game would have been most likely over) however i think that brady has his share in the lose as well and thats not only because of the safety...i had the feeling that brady wasnt as sharp as he usually is...like with the interception in the 3rd quater...

but also on the drops later on...i mean if welker was as open as everybody claimes he was then why did brady throw the ball at his back shoulder instead of in front of him...i mean welker had to make like a 360 in the air to catch that ball...the same happened soon after that on a crossing pattern...i dunno who it was but he threw the ball completly behind his reciever who then slipped trying to catch the ball...

i am not saying that the recievers are free of guilt but imho brady should get some of the blame as well...

what do you.guys think? am i being to hard on brady or do you agree with me or is it just the german opinion that as wrong...

discuss

greeting, mcmuffin
    Last edited by Mc_Muffin; 02-08-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Muffin View Post
    Hey,

like the name alrdy says, i'm from germany and i watched the superbowl in munich with like 200 - 300 other guys. now keep in mind that most germans dont really know that much about football (for example i think i was like the only one that really understood what happened on the play with the safety)

anyhow: when i listened to the opinion of some germans after the game mostly claimed, that new england would have won, if the recievers caught the ball towards the end of the game.

i know that the may be right about that (i mean if welker would have caught that ball the game would have been most likely over) however i think that brady has his share in the lose as well and thats not only because of the safety...i had the feeling that brady wasnt as sharp as he usually is...like with the interception in the 3rd quater...

but also on the drops later on...i mean if welker was as open as everybody claimes he was then why did brady throw the ball at his back shoulder instead of in front of him...i mean welker had to make like a 360 in the air to catch that ball...the same happened soon after that on a crossing pattern...i dunno who it was but he threw the ball completly behind his reciever who then slipped trying to catch the ball...

i am not saying that the recievers are free of guilt but imho brady should get some of the blame as well...

what do you.guys think? am i being to hard on brady or do you agree with me or is it just the german opinion that as wrong...

discuss

greeting, mcmuffin
    No one cares about the Patsies, this is a Steelers site . . . .

who cares, . . they lost let's celebrate

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSTEELER View Post
    No one cares about the Patsies, this is a Steelers site . . . .

who cares, . . they lost let's celebrate

I am not saying that i really care... i was just wondering what you guys think

all if's but's and maybe's every game is full of them . . .

The ball could have been passed a little better, but the pass was entirely catchable . . .

offense didn't execute, . . or could blame the giants for eating clock at the end with intentional penalties?

Veteran

Hello from the US. You were up quite late watching the game (for those that aren't aware, Germany is ~6 hours behind us, so the game started midnight or later.)

Welker was indeed wide open, however Brady threw it behind him. It happens sometimes. As Chris Collinsworth pointed out, Welker makes that catch 100 of 100 times (fortunately for the Giants, as Costas retorted, that was the 101st time.) The ball was catchable, which is what I think what Collinsworth was getting at.

Hey Mc_Muffin,
    for someone living in Germany without a lot of knowledge of football, I think your comments about the Super Bowl are spot on. When it comes to the vast majority of talking heads on ESPN, etc. for the most part they're never going to blame Tom Brady for anything.
    Seriously, I watched about 8 hours of post-game shows and almost every one of them focused on how Brady tried his best to win without any talent around him, while only making a few passing remarks about the Giants winning the game.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Pretty nice breakdown man, well said. The media will never do anything but sing the praises about how Tom Brady is the best Quarterback in NFL history. He can do no wrong in their eyes.

While I would say he had a decent game overall he was far from blameless. The Safety and the Interception were clearly his doing. The pass to Welker could have been thrown more in front of him but I would put that one on Wes because he normally makes those catches.

Banned
    Gronkowski was badly hurt and was only in the game to serve as a decoy, which worked for maybe a few plays. If Gronkowski is healthy, the Patriots score another 10 points easily. I don't know if the Giants would've then scored more or not, I just know the Patriots wouldn't have scored a measly 17 points against the Giants Swiss cheese defense.

Not only should Welker have caught that ball, but so should have Branch on the very next play. Giants got lucky just like they did against the 49ers. No one in the media will every say that, and no fan will ever admit to it if it's their own team.

Waterboy
    To say the giants would have lost if gronkowski were healthy is pure guessing imo...

i mean who says that the patriots would have better otherwise...there is no garantee that the game would have been that different...besides the giants could have scored a lot more in the second quater when they punted twice from the patriots 45 yard line

Banned
    To say the giants would have lost if gronkowski were healthy is pure guessing imo...

i mean who says that the patriots would have better otherwise...there is no garantee that the game would have been that different...besides the giants could have scored a lot more in the second quater when they punted twice from the patriots 45 yard line
    I didn't say the Giants would've lost. I said the Patriots would've scored 10 more. It's possible the Giants would've then scored more.

The Patriots scored over 20 on Baltimore who actually had a defense. Gronkowski was there go to receiver. Any team loses there go to receiver and the offense will take a major hit.

If the Giants lost Nicks or Cruz, they would've been dead.

Thread Information