Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Steelers can reduce cap Numbers

Bookmark and Share

How Steelers can reduce cap Numbers

Nowthat the last football has been passed for the 2011 season: let take a look at the Steelers roster to see how they can cut the fat. All we have heard is how they (the Steelers) are in trouble because the are almost 18 million over the cap, and the projected cap number isn't expected to go up: The Steelers will need to release some vets who have bleed Black and Gold from many years, but as I see it, these should be hard decisions.

saved 5.8 Million: Casey Hampton: Hampton was one of the best run stopping NT this past decade, but with the spread offense, and the rule changes, to aloud run blocking, the Big Snack time in the burgh is over. With the process of McLendon and Casey being a two down player. It not worth the money any longer (8 million cap hit next year). Besides with ACL injury and someone push 350+ bills doesn't sound like it a good mix.

saved 2.4 Million: Chris Kemoeatu: With the two undrafted player starting in place of Kemo, the writing is on the wall: If Pouncey didn't get hurt the later part of the year, Kemo would have been buried on the beach. Kemo is one of the most inconsistent player I have seen. Once play he looks like a All-Pro, the next he looks like we should have cut him yesterday. But either way he is NOT worth 5 million cap hit next year.

saved 3.0 million: Larry Foote: I love Foote, but not at that price. he will be a two down player, coming off the field on passing down. And with more teams going to 3-5 receiver, Foote will either lower his base pay of be release.

saved 2.1 million: Aaron Smith: One of the Steelers best DL since the Steel Curtain, but enough is enough: on IR 3 of the last 4 seasons. From what the other say, maybe he could stay on as an assistant DL coach and take over when coach Mitchell retires. But I don't want to see Aaron in a Steelers uniform next season.

saved 2.2 million: Jonathan Scott: he was signed to play LT and didn't do well last year, to the point that the Steelers signed Starks off the couch and outside of when someone went down never played again. I think he is worth resigning, but at base minimum price. The lest tape people have on him the better he plays.

saved 2.5 million: Bryant MacFadden: With the youngster (Brown and Allen) on the roster, and with the resigning of either Gay or Lewis, MacFadden is a luxury the Steelers cannot afford.

saved 1.3 million: Will Allen: outside of playing special teams, I don't remember him ever play a down on defense. The Steelers could replace him with Cromatie-Smith and save a few dollars.

saved 1.0 million: Arnaz Battle: again strictly a special team player: with the young money crew, and either Ward of JC resigning. Battle is someone that can be replaced.

Restructure Wards contract because of the a reduce role could save another 2.0 million: and depending on who they draft cutting Farrior could save another 2.9 million. I would hate to see Farrior and Foote leave in the same year, so to me, it's an either/or with both players.

Without restructing deal of Ward and Farrior the Steeles would cut 20.3 million from their cap numbers. If the rework some of the higher player contracts they could also sign Wallace to a long term deal, and make offers to Kapions McLendon and Redman.

But all of these issue could leave a BIG HOLE in the leadership role: Hampton, and Smith on the DL: Farrior, and Foote at the LBS. But it time for the Steelers to get younger and they might as well start in 2012.

My Mood
    Manic
    As far as the the silb position it's time for sly to make his money. if it doesn't work we could always put carter in there

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They just restructured Woodley's contract and saved about 6.8 million in cap space this year. Lawrence Timmons' contract will more than likely be up next. So assuming the $25 million over the cap is correct then between those 2 they'll have already knocked off around 11 million or so. That leaves around $14 million to go. They can still restructure Ben's deal, Hampton's, and Harrison's too. Doing those 3 would put them really close to taking care of that overage they currently have.

Then you cut McFadden, Kemoeatu, Smith, and you've saved yourself an additional additional 7 million. Restructure Ward's deal and save 2 million or just release him, either way you're saving money. You better lock up Cotchery though if you plan on letting Ward leave the team. Doing that would make the Ward savings a wash but you get a good veteran in return.

I don't know that I'd want to release J. Scott just yet if I can help it. I keep him off the left side though where he was a turnstyle and make him Gilbert's primary backup if possible, where he was much better this past year.

with woodley already done i expect timmons, ben, ward, and harrison next....thats before the cuts of older players

realistically they could get under the cap by quite a bit

My Mood
    Impatient
    Timmons will get done because he has enough time left on his contract that the money will be spread out pretty well. Harrison will not because he may not play out his full contract and that would mean more dead money later, also I dont see them messing with Troy's for the same reason. Ward will take a pay cut. Hampton will have to if he wants to stay. They may rework Ben's too. They just dont want to rework too many contracts that we are hurting for the next 4 years.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I would normally agree with that however if you look at last year, they restructured Smith's contract to free up space and added another year to it. As injury prone as he has been that's a move you don't normally want to make if you can help it. I hate having dead money but because they are so strapped this year they may not have a choice but to add a bit more.

Banned
    I want to know what all this restructuring will lead to. Are they going to go after an offensive lineman?

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I want to know what all this restructuring will lead to. Are they going to go after an offensive lineman?
    No, they have less than 1 month to be under the 2012 cap and before Woodley's restructure, they were 25 million over, if they dont get under, they cannot tender Wallace making him, and the other RFA's, UFA's. This is for survival.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    No, they have less than 1 month to be under the 2012 cap and before Woodley's restructure, they were 25 million over, if they dont get under, they cannot tender Wallace making him, and the other RFA's, UFA's. This is for survival.
    Who else is a restricted free agent? On the Steelers I mean.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Yup, once the free agency period starts they have to be able to tender offer the guys they want to keep so they have to free up money before then. Since they are still over the cap now expect to see guys like Timmons get restructured any day now.

They also do of course need to free up money for their draft picks and any free agents they want to go after so this is a process just to get them some operating cash to survive.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information