Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Todd Haley possibly be coach in waiting down the line...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Could Todd Haley possibly be coach in waiting down the line...

Now before people jump completely down my throat about making this suggestion I have a friend who works inside the Steelers organization in scouting and what not and he has told me a few times that he has heard from certain people who are close to the team that Art Rooney isnt exactly head over heels completely and totally in love with Mike Tomlin like some people like to think. My point is I know Mike Tomlin won a Super Bowl with the Steelers in his 2nd season and has made the playoffs 4 other times and won 3 division titles as well. But his early playoff exits in 2007 losing to the Jags twice in 3 weeks at home, the meltdown in 2009 when the Steelers were 6-2 and they lost 5 in a row and missed the playoffs, his Super Bowl loss last year to the Packers in a game he should have won, and the debacle this year losing to the Broncos and Tim Tebow who were 8-8 in the 1st round. My point is the Steelers are a team who has higher expectations then other teams and just making the playoffs with a team like the Steelers isnt acceptable. A first round loss in the playoffs is like a 6-10 season as far as the fans go and inside the organization.

My point is I think this hiring seeing that Todd Haley is a former head coach and did lead the Chiefs to the playoffs last season might not directly be a threat to Mike Tomlin from Art Rooney but it just might put a little more pressure on Tomlin and let him know that if Todd Haley comes in here and the offense gets better and improves and the Steelers still dont win and more importantly get to the Super Bowl and win the next few seasons that it's going to fall directly on Tomlin and Haley could possibly be the guy down the road to replace Tomlin if things really fall apart and dont get better. Now Tomlin has had success here and done a decent job but I just think something over the last few seasons with Tomlin that something is just not right with this team and they have lost their edge a little bit. Some players on this team are out of control in terms of making comments they shouldnt be and ripping on fans as well on twitter and that right there I believe is a bad reflection on Mike Tomlin. I dont want to sound like a racist or anything because I am not but it just seems like the team over the last few seasons under Tomlin's guidance has become "thugged" out for a better choice of words. The bottom line is Tomlin needs to get this team back to the Super Bowl and win it here over the next 2-3 years especially seeing that Ben is in his prime and you never know how many more chances you really are going to get with Ben being the QB on this team.

I dont buy this one second

Wexell's Twitter: "James C Wexell
    "radio 610 in KC reporting Todd Haley to be announced soon as steelers OC" -- I've learned Tomlin was impressed by intrvw"

So Tomlin hired his replacement? Dont think so. Youre jumping the gun

My Mood
    Clowns
    I think Art Rooney in the end was the one who made this decision and hiring and not Mike Tomlin...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post

"radio 610 in KC reporting Todd Haley to be announced soon as steelers OC" -- I've learned Tomlin was impressed by intrvw"

Please re-read his post a little more carefully.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think this is Haley's shot to get back on track. He left the Chiefs on a bad note with all kinds of poor remarks from fans and media. He's going to keep his head down and run with this job and maybe get another chance as a Head Coach in the future.

I'm not ready yet to say he's next in line to replace Tomlin anytime soon but I do hope he's able to get this offense moving in the right direction.

If this signing lights a fire under Mike Tomlin then I'm all for it. We all know there's things he can do to improve his game, mostly time management. To be clear, Tomlin is not a bad coach. I wouldn't say he's in any way threatened or should be, by Todd Haley but a former head coach won't be afraid to put his ideas on the table with Tomlin and that's not a bad thing.

Tomlin has had more success than Cowher ever had here ALREADY.

Kind of hard for me to envision the Steelers plotting to get rid of a coach who has been to two Super Bowls in 4 years and won one of them.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I will Cowher did have an issue with his coaching staff too. I heard many stories from people out in Pittsburgh that talked about how his assistants didn't see eye to him on issues. I think Tomlin has the backing of his staff, it's just a different way of coaching.

I wish the team could practice more in pads during the season, the Steelers always do better that way. Damn CBA.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post

If Tomlin couldn't see the need to get rid of Arians, what makes you think Tomlin has any idea what to look for in a OC let alone do the hiring. Yes Tomlin does the interviews but considering who let Arians go, Tomlin IMHO is only able to recommend someone for a position such as OC.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Nope.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityVoice View Post
    Tomlin has had more success than Cowher ever had here ALREADY.
    I wouldnt go that far just yet. Bill Cowher took the Steelers to the playoffs his 1st 6 seasons in the league and went to 1 Super Bowl and played in 3 AFC Championship games and won 5 division titles in that span of 6 seasons. Yes Cowher didnt win a Super Bowl as quickly as Tomlin did but I do think that Bill Cowher had to build his team up a lot more when Noll retired in 1991 and make them a contender every single season, then Mike Tomlin had to do here in 2007 and 2008 when the Steelers were fresh off a Super Bowl title 2 years before. I know a lot of people will disagree with this and some wont but I will still say that Mike Tomlin won that first Super Bowl with Bill Cowher's team and the majority of the players that Cowher left him. He was one miraculous drive and throw and catch by Ben and Holmes from blowing that Super Bowl to Arizona being up 13 points going into the 4th quarter. And we saw what happened exactly a year ago tonight in the Super Bowl against the Packers the majority of those players in that game were Mike Tomlin's players and Tomlin's team and what did he do he lost. Tomlin has a lot of rebuilding to do with this team seeing that a lot of the key players on this team are getting old and are not going to be here much longer. The next 2-3 seasons we will find out most definitely how good of a coach Mike Tomlin truly is or if the Super Bowl win back in 2008 was simply a fluke. In my opinion, Tomlin is going to have to win at least one more Super Bowl in the next 2-3 seasons while Ben is still at the top of his game and start winning some of these playoff games he should be winning ala the Jags and Broncos before I will completely get off his back.

Thread Information