Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources confirm Todd Haley is the new Steelers offensive coordinator

Bookmark and Share
    Ben could use some of this:

My Mood
    Addicted
    well, Haley's "attitude" could go one of 2 ways. it could be refreshing to have an OC give you a kick in the pants when you're not doing your job right instead of being your best bud...or it could tick off the players causing them to stop playing for him and eventually turn into a complete disaster.

another thing could be that since being fired by the Chiefs, Haley learned the errors of his ways and won't be as vocal towards players. i'm most curious to see how Ben reacts to not only the hiring of Haley, but the first time they disagree about something offensively. Ben hasn't had a coach say something to him when he messes up since Whisenhunt.

Chris

It doesn't hurt to have someone kick you into gear from time to time. Haley had the offense in position to win the Super Bowl in Arizona. If they would have had a solid defense they would likely have won that game.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Veteran
    Honestly, I really don't know anything about him. What's his background. I assume he was an OC before helming the Chiefs. What kind of offense did he run? From the link (thanks SAD_43) he seems like a firey guy. Hopefully the offense will pick that up and play a more physical game.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like the move because the defense won't have to win every game for us now, we will put up about 35 points a game, we will have less 3 and outs, and he knows how to put together a great game plan, and make the right adjustments during games if need be, and giving our defense a chance to rest more will keep them fresh through out the year, i just hope Ben likes the move because he hates to get yelled at lol, great move Rooneys/ Tomlin
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 02-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Honestly, I really don't know anything about him. What's his background. I assume he was an OC before helming the Chiefs. What kind of offense did he run? From the link (thanks SAD_43) he seems like a firey guy. Hopefully the offense will pick that up and play a more physical game.
    (From Wikipedia) Under Haley’s guidance, the Cardinals offense in 2008 was one of the league’s most innovative and explosive units. Arizona tied for third in the league in scoring, registering a franchise-record 427 points (26.7 ppg). The Cardinals were fourth in total offense, averaging 365.8 yards per game. Arizona was second in the league in passing offense (292.1 ypg) and ranked sixth in the NFL with 20.5 first downs per game. The Cardinals finished the season with a 9-7 record and a playoff berth after winning the NFC West Division title. The Cardinals went on to appear in their first Super Bowl in franchise history after the team scored more than 30 points in each of its three playoff games.

-----------

He changed his tendencies when he went to Kansas City. He relied more on the running game which consistently ranked in the top half of the league under his leadership. This made sense since Matt Cassel is most definitely not the QB Kurt Warner is and we all know how pathetic KC's receivers are.

They lost most of their best players this year and were still within sniffing distance of a playoff spot. He was fired as head coach just one year after leading the Chiefs to the playoffs.

I see a lot of similarities between the talent he will have in Pittsburgh and what he had in Arizona during that SB run. Ben Roethlisberger is capable of a lot of things and is a lot harder to bring down than Kurt Warner. I also think Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown have as much talent and potential as Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin had in 2008. The Steelers also have Emmanuel Sanders, and possibly Jerricho Cotchery and Hines Ward, plus Heath Miller.

The Steelers also have Rashard Mendenhall who has more talent and potential than Edgerrin James had by that point of his career in 2008.

Personally I think it was just time for a new outside approach on offense. We've had the same status quo for a while around here and frankly, I don't think the team was as explosive as it could have been given all the talent.

Now if we can just fix the O-Line.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Addicted
    Plus the rematch between us and the Chiefs just got a little more exciting, i bet you that's a monday night game now...http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...as-coordinator Hell maybe Haley can get Ben to get some more arm strength in the weight room
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 02-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was talking about that with Steeldad just a little while ago, that game is going to be special for Haley. I would imagine he'll pull out some unique wrinkles for that one..LOL

Veteran
    Thanks Voice. Appreciate the summary.

My Mood
    Manic
    I'm lovin this hire cause he's got fire.Plus his share of **** & vineger .He did a lot of yelling at KC but who wouldn't with tyler palko and Matt Cassel as your QB . I think he will treat ben with respect the man is not stupid.The notion that Haley told Tomlin or the Rooneys anything in regards to this being his offense and he will call the plays or what ever is bullshit.

Thread Information