Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Pats win, is Belichick on par with Chuck Noll?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

If the Pats win, is Belichick on par with Chuck Noll?

For as much as most of us hate the Patriots, if they win the Super Bowl this weekend I think you have to make a strong case for putting him in on the same level as Chuck Noll.

As much as it pains me to say it I don't know how you couldn't? Yeah the whole spygate thing is a blemish on his record and people will put an asterisk by his name forever but he is still a good coach. I've always said for as much as I don't like him, he is the best gameplanning coach in the history of the game.

Chuck Noll though built that dynasty team from literally nothing. The Steelers were just flat out terrible until he got there and started drafting guys like Joe Greene, Bradshaw, etc. Belichick inherited a pretty decent team when he took over the Patriots. That doesn't diminish what he's done but I would say it's more of a plus for Noll to be over Belichick in that particular category.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I can't argue Belichick's game planning and ability to adjust during games and yes it puts him on the same level as Chuck Noll but Emperor Chuck will forever be 4-0 in Super Bowls, Bill won't.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    I can't argue Belichick's game planning and ability to adjust during games and yes it puts him on the same level as Chuck Noll but Emperor Chuck will forever be 4-0 in Super Bowls, Bill won't.

I agree with the above statement.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Hell NO... Noll did not film any opponents, he drafted a helluva football team in the 70's and did it the RIGHT way, i use to give props to the Cheaters (as much as it hurt-ed me) b4 i found out they had film the opponents practice.

Id say hes in the discussion. Noll won 4 SBs in what 6 years? Noll had a core group of players. Hall of Fame players. Belichick's first SB was nearly 10 years ago. That's very impressive. Not saying Belichick is better but hes in the discussion for sure.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    ahhhh

NOPE Belecheat cannot carry Chuck's jock strap
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Veteran
    Win or lose, Belicheck is already in the conversation with the best coaches ever.

Go Giants....

My Mood
    Mellow
    i think this above anything keeps him out of chuck noll talk:

Cleveland Browns

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. During his tenure in Cleveland he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team. In Belichick's last season in Cleveland the Browns finished 5–11.

chuck noll never had a winning percentage that low over a 5 year span...not even his first 5 years with the steelers.

and throw in the spygate era...and what you get is an extremely good coach, but still a few steps behind the emperor.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Name me one hall of fame head coach belichick beat in the super bowl. Martz? Fox? ANDY REID!?!?!? LOL! Chuck "only" beat bud grant and tom landry TWICE. Then look at his record in cleveland. ENOUGH SAID. Not in my book. GO GIANTS!

Thread Information