Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell wants more primetime games & league expansion

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Goodell wants more primetime games & league expansion

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Friday that NFL Network will air 13 games during the 2012 season.

Goodell said NFL Network will expand its current eight-game "Thursday Night Football" package starting in Week 2 and running through Week 15.
    "Adding these games to the NFL Network schedule will give more players, teams, and cities the prime time stage,” Goodell said at his annual state of the NFL news conference. "Our fans can now get an early start on the NFL weekend in the season’s first 15 weeks."

The expansion of the package assures that every NFL team will have at least one game during prime time television hours. In addition, every club will play on one Thursday following a Sunday game.

Goodell also said expansion is not on the table at the moment. When asked about a team returning to Los Angeles, formerly the home of both the Rams and the Raiders franchises, Good responded that the league hasn't thought about it "at all."
    However, Goodell did say Thursday that if the 32-team league puts a franchise in Los Angeles, it would likely expand to 34 teams.

Goodell reiterated that the league would like to have a team in L.A., but said many issues exist that have to be worked out. There are discussions about two competing stadium sites in Los Angeles, and Goodell thinks the two sides can be brought together.

As for the NFL's International Series, Goodell said the league has a strategy to make the game "more successful on a global basis."

Asked about playing games in Latin America, Goodell said there's a great deal of interest there and that there are current discussions about setting up another game in Mexico. He said it's "something we'd like to get done sooner than later."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I guess I'm one of the few people that just don't like the Thursday night games. I'm ok with the occasional Saturday game and Monday nights but I just think you're messing with the teams ability to be competitive by sticking them on Thursday night.

I like how they try to promote Football in other parts of the world and then throw in more Thursday night games which is practically impossible to watch unless you have no job of school to attend to.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Goodell should jump off a really really really tall building..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    They need to move the Jags out of Jacksonville and put that team in LA, 32 teams are enough for the league. As far as Thursday night games, I love them as far as being a NFL fan goes, sucks for the players to play on a short week but that's why they get paid the big bucks.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

More teams? More Thursday night games?, Why did he get a contract extension? Thursday night games are not going to protect the players which he lives by, thats just gonna get more guys hurt imho, not enough time to recover from sunday. What is wrong with Saturday games? Saturday's would get way more viewers than thursdays would. Something just doesnt seem right to me here.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    That ******* just don't get it. Saturday night dumbass. Move J ville to somewhere that gives a shiate about foosball. Hello.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Love
    Does he really think he's doing us fans a favor? As a fan i'm very disappointed in the performance of his duty.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERS OF STEEL View Post
    That ******* just don't get it. Saturday night dumbass. Move J ville to somewhere that gives a shiate about foosball. Hello.
    yea what he said, the owners must like his dumb *** why else would they extend his contract he has destroyed the Team/game i have loved since 1972, Goodell is the
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 02-03-2012 at 07:05 PM.

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERS OF STEEL View Post
    He is just the owners puppet . as far as the league moving the jags to la or any team there they don't want to they want a new LA franchise because the team would have to buy into the league 1.2 billion and that gets whacked up between the other teams

Thread Information