Thread: 2nd half scoring less than stellar in 2011, a must fix for next year

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

2nd half scoring less than stellar in 2011, a must fix for next year

One of the keys to the Steelers improvement on offense is the redzone production as we've talked about before. Let's face it; scoring points is the ultimate goal every week. Passing stats are nice, running stats are all well and good but moving the ball and not scoring touchdowns is a problem.

Another issue facing the Steelers and the new Offensive Coordinator will be scoring more points in the 2nd half of games. The Steelers have long been known for being a team that likes to get a lead and sit on it by running the ball, therefore eating the clock and shortening the game. It's a philosophy that's been in place since the Cowher years. Even with the firepower that the Pittsburgh offense has at its disposal they haven't been able to put teams away and therefore end up in entirely too many close contests. You would think with all those weapons that they would be able to just put the pedal to the metal and run away with games. At the very least get a big lead in the first half and then run the ball or use the short passing game to eat the clock.

If you look at the first half scoring in 2011 for the Steelers, they were only able to average about 11 points before halftime (14th in the league overall). Compare that to the top offenses in the league; Green Bay 17.4, New Orleans, 16.1, and New England at 15.4. Now, the glaring deficiency really comes into focus when you look at the 2nd half scoring. The Steelers finished a distant 26th overall in the NFL with just 8.9 points in the 2nd half. Again compare that to the top teams in the league and you can see why the Steelers played in so many close games. New Orleans - 18.4, New England - 16.8, Green Bay at 16.7. Those numbers for the top offenses were substantially higher late in the year as well, which means when the post season is on the line they were able to pour on the points.

The Steelers have the ability on offense to score that many points but teams were able to adjust their game plan at half time and come back. The coaching staff failed to stay ahead of the defense and make their own adjustments on the fly. The players though have to execute as well, and that comes down to a poor offensive line, bad decisions in the passing game, and receivers not catching the ball. So it's not all the coaches’ fault but in the end they take the blame. Just another reason and I believe one of the main reasons that Bruce Arians was not retained.

My Mood
    Mellow
    i found this stat in 2009 when the steelers missed the playoffs. the BA offense just doesn't score in the 2nd half, especially in the 4th quarter. in 2009 BA's offense averaged 9.33 points in the 2nd half and only 4.5 in the 4th quarter (being shutout in 6 games in the 4th quarter)

i don't have the stats (4th qtr) off hand for this season, but i suspect it was more of the same.

also, looking at how the steelers fared against how many points a team gave up on average, the steelers were below those averages 8 out of 16 games. THAT'S HALF! that's terrible. on the other side of the ball, the defense held their opponents under their average 13 out of 16 times!

as "bad" as our defense was this year, it did it's ultimate job...it stopped people from scoring...while our offense, with a 4000 yard passer, 2-1000 yard receivers, blah blah blah, did not do their ultimate job....score points.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's amazing how you can have so much offensive production but not be scoring points. Blame the players sure, but if you can move the ball between the 20's you better be able to move it inside the 20's. Other teams do it with equal talent that the Steelers have, at skill positions.

Veteran
    Finally, and acutal intelligent thread to reply to.

Second half scoring can be directly related to the halftime adjustments that people have been complaining about. BA didn't do a good job of halftime adjustments at all, and that's what we're seeing in the lack of second half scoring. This is one of the major reasons why he's gone.

That what we just fixed.. BA is History. We can only move upwards from these stats.

I have two thoughts:

BAs half time adjustments weren't any worse than his game planning in general. They were both sub-par. It reminds me of that NFL film where the Tampa Bay coach says we couldn't play offense or defense today. Other than that, we were fine.

I think an upgrade on D and the O line will help immensely. At least we are not a team that needs a QB or a RB or a wide receiver or two to fix these things.

A couple of decent picks and a new OC should help.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post

Second half scoring can be directly related to the halftime adjustments that people have been complaining about. BA didn't do a good job of halftime adjustments at all, and that's what we're seeing in the lack of second half scoring. This is one of the major reasons why he's gone.
    With Tomlin interviewing Todd Haley today, and for any other interviews ahead, this topic has to be a question for them. What can you do to fix our redzone and scoring issues in general?

The NFL is all about adjustments now and really has been for quite awhile. You can't just win by saying "we're going to play our game and that's what we do". If the Steelers want to be successful in 2012 they better figure out how to adjust to the defense.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post

I'm definitely tired of talking about and/or bitching about BA too. On with the important Steelers news now!

Whoever the new OC is this they almost can't help but be better than Arians was with the redzone scoring percentage. Put the players in position to excel in the redzone and I'll bet they make it count more often than not. No more of this reverse, delayed draw, slow developing plays in scoring position.

Thread Information