Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do with Ward

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The waiting game: Hines Ward puts ball is in Steelers' court.....

Friday, February 03, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wide receiver Hines Ward told coach Mike Tomlin and team president Art Rooney II that he would like to return to the Steelers next season.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Hines Ward talked to Mike Tomlin on Monday at the Steelers facility on the South Side and to team president Art Rooney II earlier, letting them know he wants to play in 2012 in Pittsburgh.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward, who on Sunday will be part of NBC's five-hour Super Bowl pregame show. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

The '11 season was difficult for the veteran receiver. He was benched as a starter and buried deep on the depth chart for the Nov. 13 game against Cincinnati, then reinstalled as the starter in the next game against Kansas City. Ultimately, a concerted and successful effort was made to provide him with the opportunity to make his 1,000th career reception in the regular-season finale in Cleveland.

Ward maintained throughout the season that he wanted to play in '12. The unknown is whether the Steelers want him. He said he received no specific indication from Rooney and Tomlin about their intentions but got somewhat of a feeling they want him back.

"We have so many issues, we're $30 million over the cap," Ward said. "We have to figure a way to get that down. My cap number is not huge if I restructure [$4 million in salary]. There's like 10 other guys they have to get.

"They really didn't say [definitively]. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. We were just talking."

Ward, the most prolific and decorated Steelers receiver of all time, opened his 14th season as he did the previous 12, as one of two starters. He caught 20 passes in his first five games but finished with 46, the lowest total since his rookie season in 1998.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, thought to be the one who recommended Ward be demoted, did not have his contract renewed by the Steelers and accepted a job Monday as offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts.

"I'm not going to get into whatever happened last season," Ward said of his demotion.

"I don't think about Bruce leaving. I wish him nothing but the best. I don't know if he was an obstacle. I was a player, he was the coach, they made decisions, and I moved on. I don't have anything negative to say, I'd just rather not say anything."

Ward, who turns 36 March 8, had surgery to remove bone fragments from his right ankle. He will resume working out Monday at home in suburban Atlanta toward what he hopes will be his 15th season with the Steelers.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The longer this drags on the more likely it is, in my opinion, that Ward's deal will get restructured and they'll keep him around. This team just doesn't normally get into this type of major cap trouble, but they always find a way out of it.

For whatever reason I just think if he's willing to restructure enough that they'll bring him back but I just hope it's not at the cost of losing Cotchery.

My guess is he will restructure for the vet minumum and come into camp as the #5 WR. Hines can just about catch anything thrown at him, but his speed is gone. If I had to guess at this point, I'd say he runs about a 4.7 or 4.8

STEELERS' WARD HAS ANKLE SURGERY BUT NO GUARANTEES FROM TEAM
    NFL.com
    Published: February 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward underwent surgery to remove bone fragments from his right ankle recently but he remained committed to returning to the Steelers for his 15th season, saying again that he is willing to take a pay cut to do so, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Friday.

Ward, who did not say when he had the surgery but did say he will resume working out on Monday, told the newspaper he has met with team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin without receiving any guarantees of his return.

"They really didn't say [definitively]," Ward told the Post-Gazette. "It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. We were just talking."

Ward, who will turn 36 in March, is scheduled to make $4 million next season.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," Ward told the newspaper. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."

A decision should come soon. The Post-Gazette reported last month that a clause in Ward's contract stipulates that he must be released or guaranteed his job with the Steelers by March 1.

Ward had only 46 receptions this season, his lowest total since his rookie season. He finished with 381 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    "Happy Happy Happy"

[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;483056]The longer this drags on the more likely it is, in my opinion, that Ward's deal will get restructured and they'll keep him around. This team just doesn't normally get into this type of major cap trouble, but they always find a way out of it.

For whatever reason I just think if he's willing to restructure enough that they'll bring him back but I just hope it's not at the cost of losing Cotchery.[/QUO

I wonder why the Rooneys want to keep him around? It is safe to say that most Steeler fans want him to retire.

The same people that should not bitch and moan if he goes elsewhere...
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Thread Information