Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley could emerge as Steelers offensive coordinator candidate

Bookmark and Share
    Having Haley as OC will make MT think about being better at HC, with an ex HC behind him in the wings. Not BA or an old DL...

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Hire his *** Mike!
    better yet, hire all of him Mike!

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Rookie Free Agent cuatro_tres43's Avatar
    HIRE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would make my day! It'd be the best news i've heard since the Browns hired Childress...man, is he horrible unless you are good at covering the draw.

Ben wants Randy... Let's see how MT handles this one!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native, is the latest candidate to interview for the Steelers' vacant offensive coordinator position. But the possibility of him being hired to replace Bruce Arians seems remote.

Haley, the son of former Steelers personnel director Dick Haley, was at the South Side facility Tuesday to meet with coach Mike Tomlin -- an interview uncharacteristically announced on the team's website.

Haley is the second former head coach to interview for the position. Former Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell was at the Steelers facility Saturday. Caldwell never was offered the position and agreed Monday to become the Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach.

Haley's interview was something of a surprise because he has a reputation for not getting along with players and coaches. He was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals when they lost against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.
    Meantime, Arians was announced Tuesday as the new offensive coordinator in Indianapolis, a move that came 10 days after the Steelers announced he had decided to retire. But Arians, 59, was not offered a contract to return in 2012 and never intended to retire. He considered several jobs, including quarterbacks coach in Arizona, before joining the Colts.

The Colts also announced they have signed former Steelers assistant offensive line coach Harold Goodwin as their offensive line coach.

Sounds like they're going to go with the easy pick as to not make Benny wenny mad, WTF ever!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Rookie Free Agent
    It really makes no sense for the Steelers to go with Randy Finchtner. He runs the same offense that Arians ran. He has no other experience other then running the spread. That offense is going to get Ben killed. Ben likes the offense because he gets to throw the ball more...Ben likes the in house candidate because he doesn't want to work harder then he has been. If you hire Finchtner, why not just keep Arians? Unless the only reason we fired Arians was because he kept talking about retirement...it makes no sense.

Clements and Haley are both very good candidates...and they have the experience to run a SB caliber offense. They both understand schemes and game planning. I personally think Haley is the better coach. But either is better then Arians. Trying to turn Ben into Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady is never going to work. Ben's decision making ability is way to slow to do it successfully. Something Arians never accepted. I also think Ben's ability to find open WR's is a little lacking. I love Ben as our QB. He's great. He's got SB rings. But you have to be honest with his shortcomings. I saw no improvement in Ben this year under the tutelage of Randy Finchtner.

Ben wants Randy and Mike wants Ben to be happy... In house pick coming soon, grow a set Mike!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

This guy is reporting Alex Van Pelt has gotten some inquiries from Pittsburgh FO. Here is link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ongoing-search

Biography
    Alex Van Pelt enters his first season with Tampa Bay as quarterbacks coach after spending the previous four seasons (2006-09) on the staff of the Buffalo Bills.

Van Pelt entered the 2009 season as the Bills quarterbacks coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator in September. He originally joined the Bills as offensive quality control coach in 2006 and worked in that capacity for two seasons before being elevated to quarterbacks coach in 2008.

In his only season as offensive coordinator, Van Pelt led an offense that featured former backup RB Fred Jackson. The third-year pro rushed for a career-high 1,062 yards on 237 attempts (4.5 avg.) with two touchdowns in Van Pelt’s offense while also hauling in a career-high 46 receptions, good for second on the team, for 371 yards and two touchdowns. His 1,062 rushing yards ranked ninth in the AFC and his 1,433 total yards from scrimmage ranked 10th in the NFL and sixth in the AFC.

During his time as quarterbacks coach, he assisted in the development of QB Trent Edwards. Under the direction of Van Pelt, Edwards posted a 65.5 completion percentage to rank sixth in the NFL in 2008 as well second all-time in Bills history for a single season. Edwards also recorded a fourth-quarter passer rating of 106.3 to rank third in the NFL that season.

Van Pelt joined the Bills in 2006 after spending the winter of 2006 as the quarterbacks coach/pass coordinator for the University at Buffalo. He also volunteered with the Bills in 2005 as an offensive quality control coach after spending the 2005 NFL Europe season as the Frankfurt Galaxy’s quarterbacks coach where he was responsible for the offensive play-calling. After his retirement from the NFL in 2003, he spent two seasons as the color analyst for the Buffalo Bills Radio Network.

Van Pelt was originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the eighth round of the 1993 NFL Draft and later signed with Buffalo as a free agent in 1995. He spent his entire career as a member of the Bills and played in 31 games with 11 starts while amassing 2,985 yards passing and 16 touchdowns.

A four-year starter at the University of Pittsburgh, Van Pelt holds school records for most career passing yards (11,267), career completions (867) and career attempts (1,503). He became only the fifth player to throw for 2,000 yards in four consecutive seasons.

Van Pelt and his wife Brooke have two daughters, Payton Dale and Katherine Paige, and one son, Jack MacGregor.

VAN PELT AT A GLANCE
    •1989-1992...University of Pittsburgh, player
    •1995-2003...Buffalo Bills, player
    •2005...Frankfurt Galaxy, Quarterbacks Coach
    •2005...Buffalo Bills, Volunteer Offensive Quality Control Coach
    •2006...University at Buffalo, Quarterbacks Coach/Pass Coordinator
    •2006-07...Buffalo Bills, Offensive Quality Control Coach
    •2008-09...Buffalo Bills, Quarterbacks Coach
    •2009...Buffalo Bills, Offensive Coordinator
    •2010…Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Quarterback coach

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coach...79a75rterbacks Coach

Just some info, if the above espn report is true.
    Last edited by jnes1216; 02-01-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: additional info
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    My concern with Ben is not that he needs someone to give him some **** from time to time(he does IMO) its the new offense that would concern me way more because honestly? I just don't know how quickly he would adapt to the new terminology. Not sure just how bright he is. I love the guy, but I have doubts which makes getting an OC in there ASAP so crucial.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Thread Information