Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's credibility and word take a huge hit...

Bookmark and Share
    I agree MT has a good resume, but I think his game planning and time management SUCKS. Can't get his team up against inferior teams, no killer instinct. Not a big MT fan. Bring in Gruden.

Draft Pick
    I agree with troyisabeast, that all they had to say was that they were not renewing his contract. But as we all know in this day and age, there is the public awareness of being politically correct and not hurting anyone's feelings.
    I'm actually surprised that the FO has not issued an apology to BA for firing him.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I am still not convinced this wasnt MT's decision. He said that he anticipated the coordinators coming back, but its football and things could change. He gave himself an out. Also, Tomlin didnt lie. BA wasnt getting his contract renewed and so he said, "I am retiring." Tomlin just quoted that.

BA decided to come out of retirement...no problem.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's no surprise either that Tomlin has stayed quiet, not saying a word since his last presser after the Denver loss. I find it odd that they didn't think this thru further before the whole retirement saga started. "We've decided to move in another direction and not renew Bruce Arians' contract. We thank him for his service, blah blah blah." Saying that would have saved them from all this controversy.

I applaud Rooney for making the decision here, it's his right too..just wish it would have been handled differently. It's unlike them to have this blow up in their face.

I still don't think though there is cause for major alarm, coaches come and go, it happens. Just put your staff together and let's move forward.
    I agree this should of been the statement "We've decided to move in another direction and not renew Bruce Arians' contract. We thank him for his service, blah blah blah."
    However, I think both Arians & LeBeau should be gone and it's past the time for Keith Butler to become The DC. Art II should have made LeBeau an advisor so he stay's with the Steelers and told Tomlin it's time to change..
    Mike Tomlin Jumped the gun when he said both would be back and should of said I'm not going to rush to any decisions. We'll critique this season during our exit interview process and make our adjustments from there.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I am still not convinced this wasnt MT's decision. He said that he anticipated the coordinators coming back, but its football and things could change. He gave himself an out. Also, Tomlin didnt lie. BA wasnt getting his contract renewed and so he said, "I am retiring." Tomlin just quoted that.
    I dont believe that. Tomlin knew BA wasnt retiring and that he had been fired and I think it was a dumb part on both the Rooney's and Tomlin himself to issue that statement saying Bruce Arians informed me today he is retiring from football because it flat out wasnt true plain and simple. Arians had no plans to retire from football at age 59 he still wanted to coach a lot more if given the opportunity. I dont believe that when they told him he wasnt getting his contract renewed his exact words to Tomlin were "Ok Im retiring then Mike". The Steelers chose to let Arians go out with some dignity and say he was retiring thinking it wouldnt blow up in their face which it clearly did.

Simple case of MT getting ahead of himself... Mike is a young coach, he'll learn from this!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    I think that Arians blabbed to the media after they made the decision to say he was retiring

MT didnt let him go, the FO did. TOMLIN AINT GOT THE NUTS

I don't see how this is Tomlins fault. He wanted Arians back, and acted accordingly. Now obviously that is debatable whether or not that was a good idea, but he wanted him back regardless and that was what he advocated for. Rooney did not agree with that, and Tomlin acted accordingly again. He could hardly say no to Rooney. Saying he retired was just a way of letting him go with some sort of dignity. Not really their fault that Arians then started to get all vocal and joined a new team like a week afterwards.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Tomlin was saying what Rooney wanted him to say. Period. Arians is gone, he wasn't a good fit so it was no loss. Let's move on .
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information