Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caldwell leaves Pittsburgh without a deal but...

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Caldwell leaves Pittsburgh without a deal but...

According to sources, Jim Caldwell met with Steelers officials on Friday of this week and had breakfast with Mike Tomlin Saturday morning before leaving town. Caldwell's representative, Dennis Coleman, said no terms were discussed on a potential deal either. That doesn't mean that isn't still in the running though.

The team would be unlikely to announce any decision on a new Offensive Coordinator until early next week when Ben Roethlisberger returns from the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. It would make sense for them to talk with Ben first and let him know their intentions and decide on a game plan when it comes to the media, before making a decision on a new play caller.

It's a common practice for teams to get the input of their franchise Quarterback when it comes to making decisions that directly affect the direction of the offense. The Rooney's and Mike Tomlin will make their decision, or perhaps already have but will want to keep Ben in the loop and let him know where they are coming from. After the debacle that was the Bruce Arians departure it's better to get your ducks in a row before releasing any new information to the media about any interviews or potential hires. - Source

I'd prefer him over an inside hire but still not all that impressed.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I'd prefer him over an inside hire but still not all that impressed.
    this is looking like a trade , Arians for Caldwell..

My Mood
    Fine
    THanks,
    I agree they need to have their ducks in a row. Plus if your going to promote or not promote Randy Fichtner, you at least want him to hear it from you and not NFL NEtwork/ESPN. It smart for them to wait until Ben & RAndy are back plus Tomlin may want to interview Randy for the position.

You all thought BA was bad. Just wait.

Shish, it's gonna get fugly!

I don't know if I have become a name-brand buyer or what, but Caldwell nor Fichtner install a whole lot of confidence. I envision both sitting on the front porch swing giving what the defense dictates. I want a go-getter ready to target the endzone. It HAS become an offense driven league, Goodell has seen to that. Fine we must adapt, we do it better than most (usually). The new OC better drive into town with a uhaul carrying his bojingles so he can tell Ben what WILL happen with this offense. I've heard some on here carrying on about the ground n pound of the 49ers offense. Well David Akers kicked 8,000,000 FG's this year for a reason. They could not convert. I believe the red zone is about imposing your will. I don't care if its a fake FG every time, we better run that to perfection. The OC dictates that mindset imo. Have a plan and have a plan to execute it.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I would take Fichtner over just about anyone available on the market especially Caldwell for one reason; familiarity. He knows what these guys can do and what they are capable of and perhaps more importantly, he has had the oportunity to see how BA works and perhaps can make the necessary improvements to the offense. Improving red zone scoring and adjustiong on the fly are the two biggies.

I'll save comments on Caldwell until it becomes official...

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobre Shunka View Post
    You all thought BA was bad. Just wait.

Shish, it's gonna get fugly!
    STOP the gloom and doom please. ok? we've got plenty with Crosby 's condition and the stupid *** doctors in Pittsburgh...
    "HAIL TO PITT"

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Don't know what to think of Caldwell other that he looked bewildered on the Colts sidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There is no real sexy choice, for lack of a better term, here. Fichtner should be the obvious favorite based on past experience with the Steelers but it's not a given. One thing about Caldwell is that he completely lost that team and didn't really regain it until late in the year. If he is hired you can bet he'll want to run the ball.

Thread Information