Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ben looking for answers from Steelers-Rooney

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

Is BIG BEN now "KING BEN" or "KING BABY"?

Recent remarks by Ben Roethlisberger are disturbing. Last night at the Pro Bowl he referred to Bruce Arians (BA) as "family." Last week he claimed the Steeler offense was "close to being elite." Both remarks indicate distorted thinking and perception.
    I'm curious: since BA is old enough to be Ben's father, is that the family member he thinks of him as?
    BA gives toys to his son and says: go play...run your toys up and down the field...have a ball...don't worry about that nasty end zone...what matters is that you have fun and get plenty of exercise (aka yards). Go nuts.
    Ben to BA: I love you, Dad.

Ben's use of term "close to elite" to describe the Steeler offense is so far removed from reality that it raises the question: just how seriously have his concussions affected his cognitive abilities? Steelers ranked in bottom third of NFL in scoring in 2011 (20 ppg). In the Red Zone they were even more pathetic.
    So now the Head Toygiver has been given his walking papers, and the player is pissed. He wants answers from those evil usurpers, the Rooneys.
    The Rooneys need to come to their meeting with Ben armed with facts and numbers that clearly demonstrate the following: that the Steelers have been carried by their defense for years, that while they've had elite defenses, they have never had an elite offense under Ben/Arians, have never even averaged the 25 ppg. that might lead one to suspect that an "elite" offense was emerging; that under five years of BA the Steelers averaged 22 ppg. In other words: mediocrity.

Under Ben/BA what was the identity of their offense? It often resembled sandlot football, with far too many drives ending with low percentage heaves downfield, seemingly in frustration after the bubble screens, stretch runs, and all-too-frequent sacks left them in hopeless third-and-long situations.
    The Rooneys need to be blunt with Ben and tell him something like this: Look Ben, we think you are great. We love your skills. But it's time to refine them and become a mature NFL QB: one whose game isn't over-dependent on the big play, the quick score. We need a plan of action: a system that produces points and decisive wins, not just excitement and yardage. In other words: we are sick and tired of living on the edge.

Bottom line is this: if Ben isn't up to the task, then it's time to move on.
    STEELSPIKES

BLOWING. THINGS. OUTTA. PROPORTION. RELAX.

Draft Pick
    I said it in other threads that this situation could define Ben as THE Leader of this team or a crying little bitch.

What will he do?

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers_All_Day_43 View Post
    ^I disagree....20 points is pathetic with the weapens they have...and i dont want to hear the words "O Line"...Ben, with his off field antics and a below average Offense, should STFU and if he wants to speek with his BOSS...He has a right to, but as stated, STFU about it in public. Perhaps he doesen't read the papers, as every steeler fan wanted BA out anyway, except for Ben..what does that say??

Drama queen, yes! Baby, NO! Broken bloody *** nose, etc etc...

BA was like a father to Ben so I'm sure it hurt but it's just part of the biz and I'm sure Ben will get over it..

One thing to keep in mind is Ben likes to get close with his coaches, he and his old college coach we're very tight until he passed away..
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 01-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think the Steeler Nation as a whole is blowing this whole situation outta proportion quite honestly. We're not used to this much controversy in an offseason.

I wouldn't expect him to say anything less quite honestly. I do think it was odd that he was throwing stats around, he doesn't usually do that. I think they are close to being elite but there are fundamental flaws in the redzone gameplan and the offensive line. Fix those and the talent is already in place to be elite.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Go ask Terry Bradshaw what it's like to be QB in Pittsburgh. Love him or hate him, the guy made it through some hard times to lead us to 4 titles. Although very different personalities, Ben is finding out that everything he does and says is under a similar microscope. I have no problem with Ben being upset with Arians' dismissal. I have coaches who I was very close with and I get it. Ben has to understand that this is indeed a business and the business of getting the ball into the end zone is ultimately on Bruce Arians and he failed at that. OK, the players have to execute blah, blah, blah... Well, Arians is responsible for making sure they execute and he didn't.

If Ben believes he should have the same say in operations of the organization as Brady or Manning then he should have put himself in better positions off the field to earn that trust. Yes as the franchise QB he should have input, but he needs to understand who is in charge whether he likes it or not.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Frustrated

I think if you listen to his tone in the interview you can tell he just wants to know what they are thinking of doing with the offense so he can have a leg up on the situation! I didn't think it was a big deal. When you have changes at work, don't you ask what is going on? Same thing here people....

Rookie Free Agent
    I don't understand why 80% of this forum is blowing this situation out of control. We are making it a way bigger thing that it needs to be. Ben doesn't even sound that upset in any of these interview and I gaurentee that when Dick Lebeau retires and is done with football have of our defense will say he is like family. Ben spends every day with B.A. during the season and training camp and seeing him let go cant be easy.

I realize that I yell and complain when Ben hold the ball too long and gets sacked or tries to force a pass. But in the last 8 years I have realized that is how he plays love it or hate it. Ben has made this team from a yearly playoff contender, like with maddox and kordell, and changed it to a team that has the chance to go to the superbowl every year. Sure he makes his mistakes and should get rid of the ball sometimes but that what makes him special. Remember that last superbowl victory of ours? Yeah you can thank Ben for hanging on to the ball. Remember when we beat the ravens in the playoffs two years in a row? Yeah Ben gave us those chances too. So calm down and remember when he scrambles and you thing "wow, this guy is special."

If you really need a reminder maybe you should watch these videos:
    Last 3 minutes of superbowl 43
    Just a highlight video.

There is only one other quarterback in this league with 2 superbowl victories. Maybe we should realize what we have in this guy and what he has done for this organization. Whether he has made some mistakes or not.

Thread Information