Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Hoke officially retires

Bookmark and Share
    Hoke, I hope you read this because you're one of my favorite Steelers from the past few years. You never played it up to the press or put yourself before your team. You just packed your lunch and went to work, period. Good luck in whatever you do man.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Chris Hoke never will forget his first start in the NFL, not after pulling on a uniform for just two games in his first three seasons. It was against undefeated New England, the defending Super Bowl champions, in 2004 at Heinz Field.

"That was the first game I started and first-ever big moment for me," the veteran Steelers nose tackle said Wednesday. "My mom and dad flew in, and my wife was there. To run out of that tunnel as a starter was a really big moment for me and my family."

Another arrived Wednesday when Hoke announced his retirement from football after 11 seasons with the Steelers. His final one in 2011 ended prematurely after six games because of a neck injury that subsequently required surgery.
    "That played into it," Hoke said. "It's just time. It's the neck, I'll be 36 in April, it's all those things. It's just time."

Hoke said those things did not make it easier to hang it up one day after doctors officially cleared him to play football again.

"I've been blessed. It's been awesome and it's hard to walk away. I put my heart and soul into this thing for 11 years."

Hoke will go down as one of the franchises great backup players. He started only 18 regular-season games in those 11 seasons but had a good, long run for an undrafted player from Brigham Young -- and quite a record. The team's record in his 18 starts -- all at nose tackle for an injured Casey Hampton -- was 17-1. Those included his two starts for Hampton in 2011, victories against Tennessee and Jacksonville at Heinz Field, the final games of his career.

"Look at the way I came in," said Hoke, who arrived the same year they drafted Hampton in the first round in 2001 and leaves with two Super Bowl rings. "Who would have thought I'd be here 11 years?"

His fervent hope would be to return to his beloved BYU as a coach, although he does not know if that can happen. If not, he'd like to stay in Pittsburgh and is open to "everything."

"Right now, I just want to enjoy my family," said Hoke about wife Jaimee and their five children. "I want to see what's out there. I've built a lot of relationships over the years. I'd love to get involved in radio or TV; I think I could be great at that."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hoke had a presser today and talked about how much he'll miss the team and being on the Steelers. Hampton, Smith, and Keisel all showed up to support him in his retirement. I was somewhat surprised Steve McLendon wasn't there.

I think the need for NT just became more important than O-line. The O-line comes with more interchangeable parts (as we unfrotunately found out these past two years). At NT, your options are much more limited.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    I sent him a tweet last night....He did us some great service all his days...God bless and I wish for good health and happines...FAntastic Steeler!

Thread Information