Thread: Rooney Wants "Old" Style Offense Back

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter

Rooney Wants "Old" Style Offense Back

Say what you will, the Airans experiment to make the Steelers the Colts type of offense is done ... I love the move. We are who we always should have been, a "balanced attack" offense that features a pounding running game and run blocking O-lineman (i.e., road graters) which are used to break the will of the opposing team and open up the passing attack.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...?eleven=twelve

Steelers Prez wants old O Back
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

While Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians announced his retirement Friday, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen the Steelers chose not to retain Arians, against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Arians, 59, has been the only offensive coordinator in coach Mike Tomlin's five seasons with the Steelers. During his time as coordinator, he turned the Steelers from a run-first team to a pass-heavy one to better suit Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense over the past three seasons but finished a disappointing 12th this past season.

"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Tomlin said in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

The Steelers have a history of promoting from within at offensive coordinator. Arians joined the Steelers in 2004 as the wide receivers coach and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2007.
    Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Last edited by JoeSteelerFan; 01-22-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think that's what a lot of people are worried about dude, will the Steelers stop using all this talent at WR now and go back just a ground and pound? You can certainly make a case for it's success even now. Look at the teams in the post season right now, all but one make a living running the ball on a regular basis.

Kevin Colbert and the coaches helped build this team into what it is now, a pass first group of players. If they do go back to a 3 yds. and a cloud of dust it's going to be a huge adjustment. Hopefully they find a happy medium.

We wont go back to ground and pound. What we need to do is be more balanced.

Ben hates this move! Hey Ben time to tame it down and listen to a real coach!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I think that's what a lot of people are worried about dude, will the Steelers stop using all this talent at WR now and go back just a ground and pound? You can certainly make a case for it's success even now. Look at the teams in the post season right now, all but one make a living running the ball on a regular basis.

Kevin Colbert and the coaches helped build this team into what it is now, a pass first group of players. If they do go back to a 3 yds. and a cloud of dust it's going to be a huge adjustment. Hopefully they find a happy medium.

Going back to the old ways will just make the WR's even better. Can you imagine the defense geared to stop the run and then there hit with the play action pass?

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 04:00 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Ben hates this move! Hey Ben time to tame it down and listen to a real coach!
    Thank you!!!!!

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 04:00 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers_All_Day_43 View Post

Exactly. The WR's won't be forgotten in the new offense.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Look at the teams in the post season right now, all but one make a living running the ball on a regular basis
    The Giants no longer make any kind of living running the ball and playing defense and they've remained successful. This season is evidence of that.

Becoming a pass happy offense is not easy and it's definitely not suited for someone like Tomlin. Coughlin is the real deal. If the choice is to try and transition the entire offense through Tomlin or go back to what we knew how to do before he got here, then I choose the latter because you need a damn good coach to make a dramatic transition and Tomlin is not a damn good coach.

In the playoffs,

The Giants are running the ball. They've gone back to their 2007 formula and it's working.

Becoming pass happy isn't the "end all to be all" way to run offenses now adays. You can still run the ball and play good defense be successful at winning Super Bowls.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers_All_Day_43 View Post

BINGO! ... The biggest change you'll see is us focusing more on using the run to set up the pass, vs. what we're doing now which is the opposite. This type of offense tires out defenses and also controls the clock.

No more 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 empty backfield "shotgun" sets.

Thank Christ!
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    In the playoffs,

The Giants are running the ball. They've gone back to their 2007 formula and it's working
    I'm sorry, but you're obviously not watching the games and have no idea what you're talking about.

Eli has 595 yards and 6 touchdowns in 2 games this year. In 2007, he had 807 yards and 6 touchdowns in 4 games. The team has completely changed and that's why they ranked 32nd in rushing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're obviously not watching the games and have no idea what you're talking about.

Eli has 595 yards and 6 touchdowns in 2 games this year. In 2007, he had 807 yards and 6 touchdowns in 4 games. The team has completely changed and that's why they ranked 32nd in rushing this season.
    Again, you need to watch the playoff games. The Giants ran for 140 against the Falcons and they out rushed the Packers last week.

Thread Information