Thread: The Question of Execution

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

The Question of Execution

With all the talk of Bruce Arians' recent departure many of his defenders often cited 'lack of execution' by the offense. You know what? They are absolutely right! The players failure to execute on many, many plays was the final nail in BAs coffin.

Unfortunately there is one person responsible for seeing that players execute in the NFL and that is the coordinator. Arians' 'buddy-buddy' relationship with Ben and others on offense made it nearly impossible to actually 'coach' these guys.

Execution wins games and when players fail they shouldnt play and ultimately that is on the coach for not preparing them properly. Ben doesnt need a task-masker per se but he does need someone who will correct him and actually coach him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Correct, the OC needs to create a game plan that fits the team, so the execution has its best chance for success.

Moore up the middle into Ngata or Wilfork or Mangold is not a high percentage play.
    I remember a safety on one of those.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Execution does have a lot to do with success but so does play calling. Lets take the Cleveland game, first and goal from the 2 ( we've seen Redman punch it in many times) yet we hand off to Mendenhall and let him run into the back of his linemen 3 times.

Or there's the empty backfield with goal to go gives the opponents defense a lot to consider...and my favorite, the reverse to Ward ( our slowest receiver) at the 2 yard line.

Bye,bye Bruce...tis pity the players couldn't carryout a simple play. Also consider this, Art II stated he wanted to see improvement in the running game so BA decided it was a good time to throw more. When my boss tells me to do something it gets done whether I agree or disagree.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That reminds of John McKay, back when he coached the Buccaneers said it best when he used to talk to the media after games:

"Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling".
    "Can't stop a pass, or a run...otherwise we're in great shape.
    Was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm all for it.

Of course it's not that bad here in Pittsburgh but player execution has as much to do with the teams problems in the redzone and everywhere else as the playcalling does.

Was Arians a scapegoat, sure he was but it's time for Ben and the Steelers to make some changes so they can remain competitive in the future.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    That reminds of John McKay, back when he coached the Buccaneers said it best when he used to talk to the media after games:

"Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling".
    "Can't stop a pass, or a run...otherwise we're in great shape.
    Was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm all for it.

Of course it's not that bad here in Pittsburgh but player execution has as much to do with the teams problems in the redzone and everywhere else as the playcalling does.

Was Arians a scapegoat, sure he was but it's time for Ben and the Steelers to make some changes so they can remain competitive in the future.

player execution is essential, yes! but you can't play a bad piece of music good. arians may have been a scapegoat for some, but his offenses his entire career have had the same problems where ever he's been. it's just that he's had the most talent in pittsburgh and his offenses truly underachieved based on his "system" and play calling.

for every great game plan and great play calling, there were at least 8 games where his offense was simply brutal. the only consistent aspect of arians' offense was his lack of consistency.

i could make a college course out of how horrible an offense his is. it would take a semester to complete...that's how much you could talk and analyze his crappy offense.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    You can't blame BA for stupid penalties like the ones Kemoeatu commits.....I'm sorry yes a coach can teach a player to be better in that regard but sooner or the later its all on the player....BA needed to go but still stupid penalties by players killed drives just as much as bad play calling.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    You can't blame BA for stupid penalties like the ones Kemoeatu commits.....I'm sorry yes a coach can teach a player to be better in that regard but sooner or the later its all on the player....BA needed to go but still stupid penalties by players killed drives just as much as bad play calling.....
    true, but i bring my conspiracy theory back, watching this pats rats game and seeing holding all around the OL... no calls either way. if it was the steelers playing i guarantee some flags on those kinda holds against us.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

I agree with this but I think it's a combination of both. I think both the co-ordinator (Arians) and the players (execution) failed at times.

But the easiest for the FO to fix is the ineptness of the offensive coordinators part then they can address the players part of the equation on the field of practice.

--- Added 1/22/2012 at 03:51 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    true, but i bring my conspiracy theory back, watching this pats rats game and seeing holding all around the OL... no calls either way. if it was the steelers playing i guarantee some flags on those kinda holds against us.

This is also true. There was a conspiracy by Goodall and his goons against us this year. And
    specifically they way they've targeted Harrison. Players from around the league have
    said that his hit on Mccoy was just considering Mccoy was tip toeing at the line of
    scrimmage like he was going to run and considering choices have to be be made in
    mili-seconds, what he did was just. That's from offensive players as well.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    I'm not talking just holding penalties....stupid false starts and Kemo diving on the pile way after the play....He was known to both at times....besides holding......here is a point Kemo is so poor when it comes to his technique that if he was better he would get away with some of those holds at times.....

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I'm not talking just holding penalties....stupid false starts and Kemo diving on the pile way after the play....He was known to both at times....besides holding......here is a point Kemo is so poor when it comes to his technique that if he was better he would get away with some of those holds at times.....
    You're absolutely right. I was speaking specifically about execution of the called plays and didn't address the penalty issue. In my book, that is a Tomlin issue. He is the one that has to reign that in and it gets worse every year.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Thread Information