Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Clements as OC ??

Bookmark and Share

Tom Clements as OC ??

Listening to the Fan 93.7 today I heard a very interesting name come up as a potential replacement for BA. He is a hometown guy and has been in the STEELERS organization before.Tom Clements per Wikipedia some interesting stats...

Coaching career

In 1992, Clements was hired as quarterbacks coach for Notre Dame, where he served until 1995 under head coach Lou Holtz. After practicing law in 1996, Clements took his first NFL job, working as the quarterback coach for the New Orleans Saints from 1997 to 1999. Clements would hold the same job in 2000 with the Kansas City Chiefs, and between 2001 and 2003 with the Pittsburgh Steelers; under Clements’s tutelage, the Chiefs’ Elvis Grbac (in 2000) and the Steelers’ Kordell Stewart (in 2001) and Tommy Maddox (in 2002) each reached the Pro Bowl.

In 2004 and 2005 Clements served as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills, but was released by the team after a front-office shakeup in which Marv Levy, his coach with the Chiefs in 1980, assumed the position of general manager and ultimately installed Dick Jauron as the team’s new head coach. Upon the hiring of Mike McCarthy to be the head coach of the Packers on January 11, 2006, the Packers parted ways with several assistant coaches, and McCarthy later interviewed NFL Europe head coach Steve Logan and Clements, settling on Clements on January 28, 2006[2].

During Clements time as the quarterbacks coach with the Green Bay Packers, he has worked with starting quarterbacks: Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Flynn. In 2007, Favre statistically had one of his best seasons with the Green Bay Packers, taking them to the NFC Championship game. Clements is also credited for assisting in the development of one of the game's elite quarterbacks in Aaron Rodgers, as the only player in NFL history to throw for 4,000+ yards during his first two years as a starting quarterback in 2008 and 2009, and winning Super Bowl XLV and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award in Rodgers' third year as a starting quarterback in 2010. In Week 17 of the 2011 season, after the Packers went 14-1, head coach Mike McCarthy chose to deactivate Rodgers to keep him healthy for the playoffs and start backup quarterback, Matt Flynn, on January 1, 2012 at Lambeau Field vs. the Detroit Lions, Flynn's second start in his career. Throughout the game, Clements worked with Flynn on the sidelines, showing him what to look for in the photos from the previous offensive series. Flynn had a record setting performance, throwing for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns, both single game records for the Green Bay Packers.

Stewart ,Maddox,Elvis Grbac all made into Pro bowl QBs?? We all know what Rodgers can do ,could he have the same effect on Ben? Let the debate begin....

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Sounds like a good QB coach for us... is our current qb coach going to be the OC?.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Sounds like a good QB coach for us... is our current qb coach going to be the OC?.
    I heard that as well today Jack, his name is definitely being tossed around along with Randy Fichtner's. Clement's resume is impressive but you wonder if Tomlin would pull the trigger on an outside name for such a key position...

He has been in the organization before and I think he would be great as OC. I'm not sure he would come here to be the QB coach, a lateral move from GB imho wouldn't be worth it. They also said his name was being tossed around for a HC position,but I forget where...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Is BA retiring?

This would be awesome. We see how he has helped groom ARod who is the best qb in the NFL. Maybe he can do the same for Ben .

--- Added 1/19/2012 at 09:55 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    He has been in the organization before and I think he would be great as OC. I'm not sure he would come here to be the QB coach, a lateral move from GB imho wouldn't be worth it. They also said his name was being tossed around for a HC position,but I forget where...
    I'm pretty sure the hc position was in Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Is BA retiring?
    Scheduled Lobotomy

My Mood
    Manic
    Tomlin said BA would be back . However i don't think he realized that THE Mr Rooney was stepping down as ambassator of Ireland . He may be forcing BA to "retire"

I hope like hell I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing..

My Mood
    Addicted
    Tom Clements would be great for Ben, but Ben doesn't like to be told what to do,TC has a impressive resume i hope we bring him in as a OC.

Thread Information