Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Fichtner could be next in line as new Steelers OC

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Randy Fichtner could be next in line as new Steelers OC

Rumors are flying all over the Steeler Nation ever since Gene collier of the Post Gazette broke the story on Wednesday evening that Bruce Arians may not return in 2012 as the Steelers Offensive Coordinator. The following is some of our thoughts here on what Jim Wexell had to say today on a radio interview in Pittsburgh.

Listening to Jim Wexell on 93.7 The Fan today, we are reminded that the Steelers generally like to promote from within when it comes to coordinators on the team. This has always been the case quite honestly; they'd rather promote someone they've groomed over the years than bring in a new face from outside the organization whenever possible. It's a logical enough strategy; many teams feel the same way about their staff. Bruce Arians was the former Wide Receivers coach before getting his promotion. Steelers QB Coach Randy Fichtner was the teams Wide Receivers coach before getting promoted to Quarterbacks coach 2 years ago. He may be the odds on favorite to take over if and when Bruce Arians does decide to call it quits.

Fichtner knows Ben Roethlisberger well, obviously, and knows the Steelers mentality of how they like to do things on offense. He and Ben have a good rapport and Fichtner would fit right in to what Mike Tomlin wants to accomplish. Plus you have to believe that the Steelers aren't going to completely change offensive philosophies now or anytime soon, regardless of who eventually takes over. A transition to Fichtner would be much less hectic than bringing in an outside face. Keep in mind too, he was also interested in the vacant Memphis coaching job in November of this past season. It's possible that Mike Tomlin convinced him to stick around in Pittsburgh as a candidate for the Offensive Coordinator job at some point in the future. You still can't rule anything out right now, including Bruce Arians returning in 2012, but in the mean time we can start to analyze who the potential replacement candidates could be.

Some other points that Jim touched on during the show: The Steelers must, must, fix the Offensive Line for 2012. Just because Roethlisberger can avoid pressure doesn't mean he should have to do so continuously. How many more times do we need to see him buried under a sea of defensive lineman and linebackers? If you want to keep your 100 million dollar investment playing for another 5+ years you better get him some protection.

On that same note, no matter who the OC is for 2012, Ben has got to be reigned in somewhat. Take the shorter passes, more intermediate routes to Heath Miller, dump offs to Isaac Redman, basically what the defense gives you. Going deep is fine now and then but why does it have to be so often? Things like this are what we at SteelerAddicts and what the Steeler Nation in general have been pleading Ben to do for years now. Perhaps this coming season it will finally happen.

Ehh, I still want Haley. But that probably won't happen so I hope fichtner is good if we do make a switch .

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelers_All_Day_43 View Post
    Ehh, I still want Haley. But that probably won't happen so I hope fichtner is good if we do make a switch .
    Haley can't seem to get along with anybody. I'm not a fan.

Unhappy

[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;477291]He and Ben have a good rapport and Fichtner would fit right in to what Mike Tomlin wants to accomplish. Plus you have to believe that the Steelers aren't going to completely change offensive philosophies now or anytime soon, regardless of who eventually takes over.QUOTE]

Being a confirmed Arians hater, I hate to be so negative about a possible new coach taking over the offense..........but this doesn't really sound all that great. It seems for the past few year our "offensive philosophies" are to throw bombs down the field and fire every fullback that shows up to practice. If this is the change we're getting it doesn't look much like a change for the better. Just my 2cents.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    [QUOTE=OldSchool58;477312]
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    He and Ben have a good rapport and Fichtner would fit right in to what Mike Tomlin wants to accomplish. Plus you have to believe that the Steelers aren't going to completely change offensive philosophies now or anytime soon, regardless of who eventually takes over.QUOTE]

Being a confirmed Arians hater, I hate to be so negative about a possible new coach taking over the offense..........but this doesn't really sound all that great. It seems for the past few year our "offensive philosophies" are to throw bombs down the field and fire every fullback that shows up to practice. If this is the change we're getting it doesn't look much like a change for the better. Just my 2cents.
    That's a good point and something that Wexell mentioned, how much of a change are you going to see if Fichtner does take over? Obviously he's going to have some Bruce Arians in him, it's only natural to think so. From what I know and Jim said it as well, Randy is an X's & O's guru, he knows football inside and out. Is he going to have a firm enough hand on Ben to be able to reign him in and force him to take more check downs get rid of the ball quicker?

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm sorry but I don't want Fichtner. He's going to bring too much of what we just got rid of in Arians. I want a Fullback leading the runningback through the hole. The way it's suppose to be!

I want a offensive coordinator who's going to push Ben to be better because he can still be better.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

As much as I want BA out of here I'm nervous to go with someone from within!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    You can't say Fichtner will be BA.....Fichtner will be his own man.......Scheme wise Arians if fine its his play-calling that is maddening...lol The article touched on it whoever the OC is the OL must be improved......

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    You can't say Fichtner will be BA.....Fichtner will be his own man.......Scheme wise Arians if fine its his play-calling that is maddening...lol The article touched on it whoever the OC is the OL must be improved......
    I'd have to disagre with you man. When it's 1st and goal at the one yard line and we throw the ball 3 times and kick a field goal the scheme isn't fine. Yeah, he has some good plays drawn up and sometimes they work but he is a complete IDIOT when it comes to changing the scheme to fit the opponents defense. Example, when you play against Ed Reed.....don't throw the frickin' ball deep into double coverage every 3rd down. And, when you're playing a sh*tty run defense, eat their asses up with a ground attack. Sorry dude, I ain't trying to rude to you, I just hate Arians.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool58 View Post
    I'd have to disagre with you man. When it's 1st and goal at the one yard line and we throw the ball 3 times and kick a field goal the scheme isn't fine. Yeah, he has some good plays drawn up and sometimes they work but he is a complete IDIOT when it comes to changing the scheme to fit the opponents defense. Example, when you play against Ed Reed.....don't throw the frickin' ball deep into double coverage every 3rd down. And, when you're playing a sh*tty run defense, eat their asses up with a ground attack. Sorry dude, I ain't trying to rude to you, I just hate Arians.
    I agree. A huge part was his playcalling, but the scheme looks like it's more suited for a college team

Thread Information