Thread: No extention for Rashard Mendenhall right now

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

No extention for Rashard Mendenhall right now

The timing of Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall's torn ACL couldn't have been worse. On top of the fact that the knee injury put him on the shelf one week before the AFC wildcard round, Mendenhall is only a year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers don't plan to offer Mendenhall an extension until they see what he can do.

The former first round draft choice from Illinois is set to make $650,000 in the final year of his contract next season and is deserving of a new deal. However, the correct amount in a possible extension may soon become a hot-button issue within the Steelers organization.

According to Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune, Steelers team president Art Rooney II said the team will take a wait-and-see approach regarding Mendenhall in order to properly gauge how he responds to reconstructive knee surgery.
    With that being said, the organization is widely regarded as being one that takes care of its own. Provided he can display the same ability early on, Mendenhall should receive compensation for the 3,367 yards and twenty-nine touchdowns he has rushed for in a Steelers uniform.

At only 24 years of age, Mendenhall has established himself as one of the league's better young runners. Source

24 years of age, Mendenhall

Big Factor

Sucks for him, in the right system he could shine..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Mellow
    if we utilized him in the passing game more he could be a stud. he could be a roger craig type player...1000 yard rusher and receiver.

sadly he can't and won't be utilized in that fashion.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Redman is a guy they should use more in the passing game as well. He's got very good hands. The Steelers never use the backs in the passing game like they could, every year they have someone who can catch out of the backfield and make big plays but they don't go to it often enough.

This injury for Rashard is possibly the big break that Redman has been looking for. He's going to get all the off season work, training camp and preseason reps with the starters and even if Mendenhall returns ok Redman could very well have already established himself as the new feature back.

I agree about Redman. Catching dumps out in the flats, he reminds me alot of Brian Westbrook. No reason he couldn't be a feature back for us. I like Mendy too.....hope he can rehab and get back to the game.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Redman is a guy they should use more in the passing game as well. He's got very good hands. The Steelers never use the backs in the passing game like they could, every year they have someone who can catch out of the backfield and make big plays but they don't go to it often enough.

This injury for Rashard is possibly the big break that Redman has been looking for. He's going to get all the off season work, training camp and preseason reps with the starters and even if Mendenhall returns ok Redman could very well have already established himself as the new feature back.
    there are many times where the RB is standing in the flat, all alone, with not a soul around him, yet ben refuses to look at him. this can't be by mistake. it's got to come down to coaching. because if the coaches wanted him to throw to his outlet guy, who is wide open, rather than force a ball 20 yards down field into double coverage, the coaches would ream ben out for not doing so.

in other words, BA-ben's offense is 20 yards on every play or don't bother!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    They should wait and see but I doubt Mendenhall receives contract number 2 from the Steelers......Redman has proven he can produce and RB's are a dime a dozen anyway unless you have an AP type.......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Steel View Post
    there are many times where the RB is standing in the flat, all alone, with not a soul around him, yet ben refuses to look at him. this can't be by mistake. it's got to come down to coaching. because if the coaches wanted him to throw to his outlet guy, who is wide open, rather than force a ball 20 yards down field into double coverage, the coaches would ream ben out for not doing so.

in other words, BA-ben's offense is 20 yards on every play or don't bother!
    There's no doubt that Ben would rather not look for the check down unless he absolutely has too. Obviously you want to try and get as much as you can and usually the check down is your last or next to last option in your progression of targets on a particular play. When Ben scrambles and tries to buy time using this check down would have him a pretty fair amount of hits and time on the clock for sure.

Thread Information