Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over by 20+ Million - Some possible Steelers roster cuts and moves

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

Over by 20+ Million - Some possible Steelers roster cuts and moves

Well next season the Steelers are suspected to be over the cap by an astonishing 20 million bucks. Not including the rookie class (which will be greatly improved b/c of the Rookie Scale). Now where to trim 20 million (ill just do 20, and leave the rookie scale cash to come from re-doing vet contacts)?

If cut, Steelers would save:

$5,890,000 - Hampton
    $3,000,000 - Foote
    $2,392,332 - Kemo
    $2,109,191 - Smith
    $2,500,000 - McFaddy
    $1,037,500 - Battle
    $1,280,000 - Allen

thats approx 18...

Ward's Salary will prolly (it better) be a fraction of what it would be (4.6 total /3.3 if cut)
    John Scott is another who could be cut (2 mil savings)
    I expect Farrior to return for one more season (3.8 total/ 2.8 if cut), but this year was a first where several guys made the calls on the field, not just James. Age is catching up and his importance is slipping.

These # dont include rookie scale like I said or any Steeler FAs, let alone any possible NFL FAs (not that we sign any of those).

This offseasons accounting dept better be ready to produce!

With our age, injuries and salary cap, i see more holes in our team now more so than last years offseason... whats your thoughts?
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    $5,890,000 - Hampton
    $3,000,000 - Foote
    $2,392,332 - Kemo
    $2,109,191 - Smith
    $2,500,000 - McFaddy
    $1,037,500 - Battle
    $1,280,000 - Allen

On that list I can realistically see the Steelers restructuring Ward's contract for sure. You can't justify that type of money for a backup WR now. That's a given.

Cutting Will Allen would save a little bit of space but you better find your next backup Safety in the draft then. Even if the talk of Will Gay moving to Safety is true it's not going to be as a starter, and Gay is a free agent anyways.

Kemoeatu's time has come and gone, I can see them cutting ties completely with Big Juicy, but I'm not convinced they have the guts to do so.

Aaron Smith would restructure again if he wants to play another season but it will be in a backup role. If they can pull that off I'd be all for it.

McFadden - Gone, no room for him on the roster.

Arnaz Battle, a semi productive option behind the rest and counts very little against the cap. He may return because Al Everest really likes him.

$5,890,000 - Hampton
    $3,000,000 - Foote
    $2,392,332 - Kemo
    $2,109,191 - Smith
    $2,500,000 - McFaddy
    $1,037,500 - Battle
    $1,280,000 - Allen

Ward has to restructure he he wants to stay, and he is gonna have to come way down from 4 mil. I don't see Hamp staying unless he restructures either,5.8 is way too much for him at this stage. 3 mil.for Foote, seems like an awful lot for aa back up that will not be a starter here. Smith seems like the best deal out of this group at 2.1, but hasn't been healthy in a few seasons. Mcfadden is toast at that salary , he showed nothing this year.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Impatient
    Another way to save 8 million is to guarantee the roster bonuses for everyone this year, especially Woodley and Timmons, that will spread them out over the next 5 years.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Larry Foote come back with a restructured deal. Until they get more depth inside, they can use him as a reserve player and special teamer.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Please say good bye to Ward....Its been a great career no doubt and I'm on the Ward deserves to be in Canton bandwagon but I do want him gone.......sorry but players come and go.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Art II said yesterday that this season is about the worst they'll have to deal with in terms of being over the cap. He stayed the course with saying we want to keep our young players and restructure deals where they can to save money.

Getting Hampton's deal down to a more managable amount will be a top priority; well either that or just cutting him outright which I dont' think they are ready to do considering Hoke is probably gone.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Hines Ward, sad to say, seems to have become a bit of a distraction with his main concern being his accumulation of various records. Not sure he is needed for his coaching prowess. I guess one more year wouldn't be awful, but he should not be brought back just so he can accumulate stats.
    STEELSPIKES

My Mood
    Clowns
    I think the record became a bit of a distraction the last couple of weeks of the season. If he's brought back it I would hope that would take a back seat. I haven't looked at any more reachable milestones that he can obtain by continuing to play honestly but there can't be that many.

The money issue can be worked around, and having Hines back as a security blanket in 2012 in case injuries strike would be a good thing if you ask me. Having Jerricho Cotchery back would be even more of an advantage because he's still got years of productivity left in him.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Please say good bye to Ward....Its been a great career no doubt and I'm on the Ward deserves to be in Canton bandwagon but I do want him gone.......sorry but players come and go.....
    Im with you 32 while I love Hines as well and all he has done and contributed to winning 2 Super Bowls with the Steelers it's time to let him go once and for all. You cant afford to have Ward even take a paycut and sit on the bench for a million dollars with as many holes and other priorities that the Steelers need to take care of way before Hines. The bottom line is it's time to move on Hines...

Thread Information