Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Giants/Packers game

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Banned

Thoughts on Giants/Packers game

I learned one thing and had another suspicion confirmed.

First, I received confirmation that referees aren't stupid. They don't make bad call. They do however make calls in order to help one team or another. Whether their decision to make those calls based on personal reasons or because the NFL sends down orders is the question.

If the Giants lost that game, it would've been robbery. That overturned fumble reminded me of the overturned Polamalu interception against the Colts in the 2005 postseason.

Second, the last play of the first half is evidence that the NFL is a completely different league, and teams can either conform or be left in the dust. Instead of attempting a 44 yard field goal, Coughlin orders a 37 yard Hail Mary, which ends up getting caught for a touchdown by a receiver in triple coverage.

What did this show? It showed that Coughlin, a very smart head coach, understands that this league is now a passing league. With the lack of offensive holding calls, and the abundance of defensive holding, pass interference, and illegal contact calls on the secondary, a Hail Mary from 37 yards out is better than a field goal.

Rushing the ball is good for nothing other than running down defenses and killing the clock in the new NFL. If you can't pass in this league, and if you can't put up 3 or more touchdowns in any given game, then chances are that you're not going anywhere in the postseason.

And anyone who thinks our wide receivers are "great," I hope you all saw what truly "great" wide receivers can do for an average quarterback. And I hope everyone who $hits on Roethlisberger for not doing enough, I hope you all saw what an average quarterback like Eli can do when the offensive line gives him 5-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket.

I learned something too. Eli Manning has definitely matured as a qb in this league. He doesn't make as many dumb throws as he used to. He has gotten better as he has gotten older. Big ben still plays like he did his first year. Dumb throws, holds on to the ball too much, notorious fumbler, all those good things.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlitzBurghx View Post
    I learned something too. Eli Manning has definitely matured as a qb in this league. He doesn't make as many dumb throws as he used to. He has gotten better as he has gotten older. Big ben still plays like he did his first year. Dumb throws, holds on to the ball too much, notorious fumbler, all those good things.

You see a quarterback who has matured; I see a quarterback that has several comfortable seconds in the pocket on most snaps, and still makes inaccurate throws that are caught by his receivers.

--- Added 1/16/2012 at 02:25 AM ---

On the other hand...... I loved seeing the packers lose. They had a cake schedule and lost to the Chiefs. Honestly how many really good teams did they play this year? I kept telling all my friends they weren't that good, but why would anybody believe me. Not to mention the calls in this game were disgusting.

No one played anyone good this year. Any team that was good this year was good based on last year. More than half the league's teams were completely uncompetitive this season. The Steelers really didn't play anyone good either.

On the other hand...... I loved seeing the packers lose. They had a cake schedule and lost to the Chiefs. Honestly how many really good teams did they play this year? I kept telling all my friends they weren't that good, but why would anybody believe me. Not to mention the calls in this game were disgusting.

I'm not here to argue with you man lol just stating my opinion. Our team is out and it blows. That's just the bottom line. If our line was better ben would probably be better as well. Do you think if we had the best offensive line and the worst d in the league that ben could put up 30 to 40 points a game? And win games?

Banned
    I'm not here to argue with you man lol just stating my opinion. Our team is out and it blows. That's just the bottom line. If our line was better ben would probably be better as well. Do you think if we had the best offensive line and the worst d in the league that ben could put up 30 to 40 points a game? And win games?

Literally the best offensive line in the league? Yes, even with Arians, Roethlisberger and the offense would easily put up 4 or more touchdowns a game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Literally the best offensive line in the league? Yes, even with Arians, Roethlisberger and the offense would easily put up 4 or more touchdowns a game.
    I think were he is coming from is that Ben is not the same QB he was a few years ago. I know that this year. I wasnt sure what kind of Ben we were gonna get from week to week. I know some of the blame can go on the Oline, the OC and so on and so on. But Ben has dealt with that in past seasons. I just had really no confidence in him this year to keep making them spectacular plays week in and week out. Im not sure if that blowout in Bmore took some of the wind out of my sails but since that game I just didnt have a good feeling. I dont want Ben to take over games and carry the team on his back. I liked it when he was throwing for about 25 times a game and such. I know we have to many weapons on offense to limit his throws but we need to get back to some sort of run game so Ben can "manage" a game instead of trying to win it all the time. I would rather have a "managing" Ben than a Ben trying to thread the needle or take stupid risks to try and prove something to people. I know he still has some years left in him but hes at a point in his career where he cant be taking 40-50 sacks a year. There is no way he can do that for another 3-4 seasons and expect to play past 35. I just think Ben is a more dangerous qb when he is managing a game is all instead of trying to put up stats. Know what I mean?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I think were he is coming from is that Ben is not the same QB he was a few years ago. I know that this year. I wasnt sure what kind of Ben we were gonna get from week to week. I know some of the blame can go on the Oline, the OC and so on and so on. But Ben has dealt with that in past seasons. I just had really no confidence in him this year to keep making them spectacular plays week in and week out. Im not sure if that blowout in Bmore took some of the wind out of my sails but since that game I just didnt have a good feeling. I dont want Ben to take over games and carry the team on his back. I liked it when he was throwing for about 25 times a game and such. I know we have to many weapons on offense to limit his throws but we need to get back to some sort of run game so Ben can "manage" a game instead of trying to win it all the time. I would rather have a "managing" Ben than a Ben trying to thread the needle or take stupid risks to try and prove something to people. I know he still has some years left in him but hes at a point in his career where he cant be taking 40-50 sacks a year. There is no way he can do that for another 3-4 seasons and expect to play past 35. I just think Ben is a more dangerous qb when he is managing a game is all instead of trying to put up stats. Know what I mean?
    You also think Schaub, Romo, Eli, and Stafford are all better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Eli had 8-10 seconds in the pocket on one of the plays in last nights game. Have you ever in your life seen Roethlisberger have 8-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    You also think Schaub, Romo, Eli, and Stafford are all better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Eli had 8-10 seconds in the pocket on one of the plays in last nights game. Have you ever in your life seen Roethlisberger have 8-10 comfortable seconds in the pocket?
    Seriously. Im gonna say this one more time. I am putting Eli/Romo @ #5 with Ben right now. Im not backing down from it. Can we just carry on with the convo before hand

NY has some nice blitzing OLB's and Milb's they are quick and they spin and turn and flip to get the QB. They seem to stay out of the headlock hold.

Thread Information