Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have we seen the best of Ben?

Bookmark and Share

Have we seen the best of Ben?

I mean I dont see Ben getting any better than what he is now. Yea you can blame the injuries to him for not performing but it seems like he has hit his ceiling. He still takes sacks that cost us field position, he still hasnt learned to throw the ball away depending on certain situations. He had a first half of the season which was decent but not really an impressive second half. Im not saying we trade the guy or whatever but with this defense going into a transition here probably next year he is gonna have to be lights out if he ever wants to get back to the superbowl and win one again. We have seen Peyton,Brees,Brady carry there teams with bad defenses time in and time out year after year. I dont think the steelers defense will be horrid but I also dont see them being as good as they have been in the past year. So more is gonna have to be on Ben managing a smart game and putting up more points. I knwo this also can depend on how good our O-line is and our run game so Im not trying to bash him at all. I just wish Ben would use his check downs more and maybe get rid of the ball when he knows he doesnt have a play(which I dont think he will ever do cause of past success extending plays) but with him getting older thats gonna get harder each year as it goes on from here on out.

So my question to you guys is. Do you think Ben has hit his ceiling as a QB?

Rookie Free Agent
    No. He needs a better o line, running game and play calling. He's an elite QB who does not have an elite offense. He has not had a real line since 2005. Ben is what....29 ? Look at Brady, Manning etc who still can play at a high level and are 6 or 7 years older.

Ummm, no. The guy could barely walk! The guy is second only to Brady in the AFC. He's fine. He's the LEAST of our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Do you think Ben has hit his ceiling as a QB?
    Did Drew Brees hit his ceiling as a QB in 2005?

As far as I'm concerned, Brees is proof of how much coaching matters. Under the guidance of Marty Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron in San Diego, he became a good QB, but was still considered to be an also-ran. It's under the guidance of Sean Payton in New Orleans that he became a star. In hindsight, it's easy to see that Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron didn't help Brees reach his full potential the way Sean Payton has. (It's also worth noting that Cam Cameron is responsible for Joe Flacco's development, and we all see how well that's going.)

Like Cam Cameron with Drew Brees, Bruce Arians has not gotten the most out of Ben Roethlisberger, and he never will. What we need is to find an offensive coordinator who can get the most out of Roethlisberger the way Sean Payton has out of Brees, and the way Mike McCarthy has out of Aaron Rodgers, for that matter. Plain and simple, when you combine a great QB with a great teacher of offense, you get Rodgers and contemporary Brees. When you combine a great QB with a mediocre teacher of offense, you get Roethlisberger and early Brees.

I'm actually very upset that Arians has wasted five years in the prime of Roethlisberger's career, which is why this loss to the Broncos doesn't sting. The moment the game was over, Arians' contract expired, which gives the Steelers a golden opportunity to find a teacher of offense who can get the most out of Roethlisberger. And think about this: if Roethlisberger can still be one of the five best QBs in the NFL in spite of Arians, then just imagine how good he'd be with somebody who can design an offense properly, sense the flow of a game and call the right plays accordingly, make adjustments based on matchups and tendencies, and challenge his players to be better.

Give Roethlisberger an offensive coordinator who's more than mediocre, and he'd be a perennial MVP candidate too, just like Brees and Rodgers are.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

No way. Talent isn't enough. COACHING is the most important factor in this game. Without question this year's offense was more talented than our 08 team yet we scored fewer points with a much easier schedule. With all the talent we had on offense and to only be ranked 22nd in points scored is an absolute joke. I will only find positives from this game if BA is shitcanned........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Smokin
    not by far...ben is a beast...you could tell he was in alot of pain yesterday and the past few games...now he will rest up get better for next season

Thanks for the sig Flea

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Destossel View Post
    No. He needs a better o line, running game and play calling. He's an elite QB who does not have an elite offense. He has not had a real line since 2005. Ben is what....29 ? Look at Brady, Manning etc who still can play at a high level and are 6 or 7 years older.
    I agree completely. He also needs to make better decisions and not force the ball so much and sometimes throw it away and not take the sack.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Destossel View Post
    No. He needs a better o line, running game and play calling. He's an elite QB who does not have an elite offense.

He has not had a real line since 2005. Ben is what....29 ? Look at Brady, Manning etc who still can play at a high level and are 6 or 7 years older.

THIS
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

with a different Co-ordinator there is hope . . .

with Arians, he will only regress, he's obviously having it far too easy, he wanted to play last night and he did, he played poorly, we lost.

NO, but without some help he'll be done soon!

Oline, we all love to point fingers at but Ben holds the damn ball way too long, same old song and dance right?

OC, playcalling was horrid 90% of the year and got 20x's worse once Ben was hurt. Bruce will not adjust. We need a FB and a whole new playbook next season!

Thread Information