Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need a real back-up QB

Bookmark and Share
    Problem is with the pussy coach not QB! Tomlin's afraid to make Benny wenny mad!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    I don't know why so many hate on Batch. He has been a solid back up for many years now. Does everyone think the back up should be Tom Brady sitting on the bench? There's a reason they are back ups to begin with!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Batch has indeed done well but he's not going to last forever. Sooner or later they are going to have to find a replacement for him. So far though when called upon he's done fine. Honestly the coaches don't give him enough credit to put him in games. Maybe he doesn't win the 49ers game but you never know.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Batch has indeed done well but he's not going to last forever. Sooner or later they are going to have to find a replacement for him. So far though when called upon he's done fine. Honestly the coaches don't give him enough credit to put him in games. Maybe he doesn't win the 49ers game but you never know.
    Im guessing that is why they will keep lefty if healthy. Similar to Batch. A vet that has started and won some games.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Well they signed former Arena League QB Jerrod Johnson today

The backup QB has been sort of the status quo for the Steelers for years. I'm sure they were hoping that one day Dennis Dixon would evolve into that, but that isn't happening. He'll be gone this offseason more than likely.

One option the team does have is to let Leftwich and Dixon both go, make Batch the #2 guy and draft a QB mid round to try and start grooming. Fortunately they don't have to think about it hard core much yet as Ben just finished his 8th season and still has years left before he'll retire.

Batch, to his credit, has done well when called upon. He's not going to make the big mistake and knows the offense as good as anyone.
    Red flag #1 FORMER ARENA LEAGUE

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Red flag #1 FORMER ARENA LEAGUE
    So was Kurt Warner.....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I don't have a real problem with the back up QB's whether it be Lefty or Batch or Dixon. The problem is that the coaching staff did not have the confidence to put in those guys when our starter really needed the recovery time. That exhibits a lack of preparation by coaches or players and complacency by the coaches. Why the San Fran and Clev. game when a playoff spot was secure? I know hindsight, etc, etc. But two weeks off for Ben and Maurkice would have been very beneficial. Hopefully they learn from that. I don't think the problem lies in the back up players skill but with the coaching staff's lack of foresight.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Problem is with the pussy coach not QB! Tomlin's afraid to make Benny wenny mad!
    I almost feel like you want to blame Roethlisberger for Tomlin's poor coaching. Roethlisberger has publicly said that he likes Arians, but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and we will never know. Is it possible that Roethlisberger privately campaigns for Arians? Sure. Is it also possible that Roethlisberger doesn't say anything privately and leaves Tomlin to make his own decisions? Sure.

Ownership let him take a 4 game suspension when he hadn't even been charged with a crime. Any other owner of any big market team would've never let that suspension go down. What's the point? The point is that I doubt Roethlisberger has any real clout behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I almost feel like you want to blame Roethlisberger for Tomlin's poor coaching. Roethlisberger has publicly said that he likes Arians, but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and we will never know. Is it possible that Roethlisberger privately campaigns for Arians? Sure. Is it also possible that Roethlisberger doesn't say anything privately and leaves Tomlin to make his own decisions? Sure.

Ownership let him take a 4 game suspension when he hadn't even been charged with a crime. Any other owner of any big market team would've never let that suspension go down. What's the point? The point is that I doubt Roethlisberger has any real clout behind the scenes.
    He's got clout imo. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen him come in after sustaining the injury in the Cleveland game. He was like Capt Ahab coming out of the tunnel with one leg I just think they are being swayed by the Big Ben myth and the "I'm not coming out" attitude of Ben.

As for the suspension, it was Ben's second allegation on misconduct, I think the FO wanted no part in trying to defend that. I can only guess, their mentality was let him take his lumps and sort it out himself. Next season he gets married and we can only hope stabilizes his personal life.

A total mishandling of Ben this year which was a combination of Ben's bravado, the coaching staff's lack of "team thinking", and the front office's refusal to step in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jnes1216 View Post
    He's got clout imo. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen him come in after sustaining the injury in the Cleveland game. He was like Capt Ahab coming out of the tunnel with one leg I just think they are being swayed by the Big Ben myth and the "I'm not coming out" attitude of Ben.
    I think that was more of a tough player not wanting to be called a chump like the media and fans called out Cutler for. The head coach took the tough guy attitude of his player and ran with it because he knew there was no way that he would win with Batch.

Quote Originally Posted by jnes1216 View Post
    As for the suspension, it was Ben's second allegation on misconduct, I think the FO wanted no part in trying to defend that.
    Star quarterback, top 5, and $100 million contract. He wasn't charged. If allegations are all that is necessary, then teams could pay people to make public allegations of players on opposing teams just to get them suspended.

Let Goodell and the league have tried that nonsense with Eli and the Giants, Romo and the Cowboys, Sanchez and the Jets, Rivers and San Diego, Cutler and the Bears, and other teams, and you would've seen what would've happened.

That suspension went down because Steelers front office agreed to it. If they agreed to it, then they must not care too much about what Roethlisberger wants.

Allegations need some complaints filed to be investigated further otherwise it would be defamation or liable or some other legal b.s. that would be brought forth against the false accusers. If I'm reading your post right I don't think other teams would jeopardize that to just get at other team's star players.

--- Added 1/14/2012 at 11:14 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    I think that was more of a tough player not wanting to be called a chump like the media and fans called out Cutler for. The head coach took the tough guy attitude of his player and ran with it because he knew there was no way that he would win with Batch.

Star quarterback, top 5, and $100 million contract. He wasn't charged. If allegations are all that is necessary, then teams could pay people to make public allegations of players on opposing teams just to get them suspended.

Let Goodell and the league have tried that nonsense with Eli and the Giants, Romo and the Cowboys, Sanchez and the Jets, Rivers and San Diego, Cutler and the Bears, and other teams, and you would've seen what would've happened.

That suspension went down because Steelers front office agreed to it. If they agreed to it, then they must not care too much about what Roethlisberger wants.
    I think Batch could have pulled out the victory.

Thread Information