Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time for Tomlin to be a "Head Coach" when it comes to Big Ben

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

It's time for Tomlin to be a "Head Coach" when it comes to Big Ben

It's time for Tomlin to be a Head Coach!

So you read that and you say, what? He's already the Steelers Head Coach! As a title, yes he's the coach butwhen it comes to managing Ben Roethlisber, not so much.

Big Ben is no doubt a top 5 QB in the NFL today, and has been for several years now. You don't get to 3 Super Bowls in your first 7 years in the league, and win 2 of them, for nothing. His big play ability is among the best in the league, right up there with Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. His ability to make something out of nothing though, that puts Ben in a class all by himself. I challenge any of those other 3 names to play behind the tin foil offensive line that Ben has had to play under his career, and be equally as successful.

We can go on and on about how good Ben is, how tough he is, but the fact is he underachieved in 2011 when you compare him to the other "big 3" as I like to call them. It's not for a lack of weapons; Roethlisberger has Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Hines Ward, and Heath Miller to throw too. Arguably one of the best receiving corps in the league today.

Is it the running game? He's got one of those too, although due to the poor offensive line it hasn't been as efficient as the team would like. Also the offensive philosophy for this team is to pass and get down field, and use the run game as a compliment. The coaches will tell you different but the fact is the Steelers are a passing team, we all know. So basically Ben is a great QB, we all know, he's got the firepower around him but something is still missing...a coach to keep it all under control.

So onto the topic at hand, if Mike Tomlin wants to lead his team to another championship his management of Ben has to improve. You can't sit back and let the doctors tell you what to do when he gets hurt. If they say, "well he probably won't get any worse" or "he should be ok, he's tough" or anything of that nature you don't just throw up your hands and say "ok Ben you can play this weekend". You certainly take the doctors advice into consideration, after all the Steelers have one of the best team doctors on their staff, Joseph Maroon. Their training staff headed up by John Norwig is considered top flight as well. Tomlin routinely talks about leaving it up to the medical staff to decide, and that's fine to a certain extent.

If Ben can't do what he does then you simply don't play him. If he's going to refuse to change his game and be who he is then you don't put him out on the field when he can't escape pressure, put weight on the bad ankle to step into throws, or be able to shake off a 260 lb. linebacker rushing up the middle. In hindsight, playing Ben against the 49ers was a bad move, so was playing him in the Cleveland game. The 49ers relentlessly harassed Ben on their home turf and he was powerless to escape it. The Browns can bring pressure too, and they did so continuously.

I know an improved seed in the playoffs was at stake against San Francisco, but was it worth reinjuring your star QB? You already had the playoffs sewn up, and maybe a more healthy Ben performs better down the stretch if you sit him. The same goes for the final game of the season, if you trust Charlie Batch to play against the Rams then you trust him to play against the Browns. Tomlin needs to stop listening to Ben when it comes to these types of injuries and just be the Head Coach and sit him on the bench. It's not worth risking long term health for 1 game, regardless of the stakes. The Steelers paid the price, and no it wasn't all Ben's fault but if he's healthy then maybe things are different the rest of the way? If you remember back in one of Tomlin's recent press conferences he stated that he doesn't want to take the away the chance for Ben to compete. Well, that's your job, to make that call when it's not in the best interest of him and the team. The same can also be said for Maurkice Pouncey who's ankle injury should have warranted a spot on the sidelines in week 17, and then maybe he's able to come back against Denver.

The point is, Mike Tomlin has areas to improve in, such as his game management and Ben is a part of that scenario. His use of timeouts or other situational decisions are another story but when it comes to Ben, Tomlin needs to be the head coach and make the tough call.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Tomlin needs to be a head coach across the board.

Tomlin needs th give Arians an ultimatum to upgrade his play calling or your out of here.
    Then he needs to tell Lebeau, " You need to have an alternative game plan when the initial game plan isn't working."

Tomlin needs to be a REAL coach. Period.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Draft Pick
    Good point on managing Ben's health, but I also think that Tomlin needs to better manage his staff and their effectiveness. The obvious one being BA. We have talked this issue to death and the only way Ben's health and effectiveness can improve are to make the necessary changes to propel Ben into the Brady, Rogers and Brees category. Colbert needs to also address the offensive line needs or Ben will continuously be hurt, forcing Tomlin to make bone headed decisions concerning his longevity and desire to compete.

I've questioned his decision making on more than one occasion especially when it comes to stepping up and taking control of the entire Steelers team. But, I'm wondering just how much of a leash he's on as far as making some of those decisions. I like Tomlin and really want to give him the benifit of the doubt.......maybe DR has not fully given him control over everything.....kinda like Jerry Jones? I dunno, you guys in Pittsburgh would know more about that than me.

Ben is a top 10 for me right now. BUT with some direction and good playcalling he could be top 5 IMO...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I will admit, I can see the point of playing Ben in that 49ers game because of what was on the line. I was at one point in favor of it but while the game was going on it and it was clear the Steelers were getting pounded, that's when you pull him. If you're going to start him when he's hobbled you better be ready to yank him out if things go south.

One thing that bugs me is some of the high and mighty media or even some fans who will sit there and say that Arians' gameplanning is great and they'll say, well you went to all those super bowls with him at the helm, blah blah blah. The team won inspite of the glaring issues it had. Credit the players for being exceptional and yes some credit goes to the game plan. The problem is as we've said a million times before, it's not the gameplan between the 20s that's the problem. It's the redzone and situational offense that has killed this team for years. It hasn't gotten better consistently.

Watching him coach this team just drives me bonkers because you know the last 2 minutes of the first half or the 4th quarter is going to give you a heart attack watching them botch timeouts, call the wrong plays, drop passes you name it.

As far as Ben's health goes though, after all this time I really think Tomlin is just so jaded towards Ben's toughness that he's willing to keep him out there in almost any situation and lets Ben dictate what he wants to do when it comes to anything less than a head injury.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Ben is a top 10 for me right now. BUT with some direction and good playcalling he could be top 5 IMO...

Any idiot can see that in the passing game, they need to install three step drop passes to get the ball out of Ben's hands. That's been needed for 3 years now but Tomlin doesn't have the nuts to tell Arians to install that into the office.

That three step drop/slant pass should have BEEN in the offense. On a regular basis. That's how you utilize your weapons to the maximum potential. Can you imagine Wallace running that slant pattern??? One missed tackle and it's a sixty yard TD!!
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Any idiot can see that in the passing game, they need to install three step drop passes to get the ball out of Ben's hands. That's been needed for 3 years now but Tomlin doesn't have the nuts to tell Arians to install that into the office.

That three step drop/slant pass should have BEEN in the offense. On a regular basis. That's how you utilize your weapons to the maximum potential. Can you imagine Wallace running that slant pattern??? One missed tackle and it's a sixty yard TD!!
    Absolutely, with AB and Cotchery.. I've said it before with BA too much time is spent looking deep.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    The issue isn't tomlin or ben it is lack of confidence in our back up QB's we should have drafted one last year the kid from wisconsin.if we did that maybe we beat the niner's?once we qualified for the playoffs he should have been shut down . In the event that we won and made it to the super bowl .

My Mood
    Mellow
    before the 49ers game, charlie got all or most of the reps in practice. i said at the time, given how ben's ankle was hurt (and it's amazing that there was no bone broken) you can't come back from that in 11 days. sorry...ain't gonna happen.

give charlie a full week + of practice, plus the rest of the team knows they have to rally around him and step up their individual game, and the steelers had a better shot at beating the niners than with ben starting. plus, even if we did lose with charlie then ben had 3 weeks of rehabbing to heal that ankle. would he have been 100%? probably not, but you don't get healthier staying off it, then playing on it, then staying off it, then playing on it....

same goes with pouncey...why did he try to go back into the browns game? why did he try to play in the 2nd browns game? if your hurt, your hurt!

like real deal said, tomlin needs to be a head coach across the board. right now he's more of a middle manager!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thread Information