Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of Mike Wallace and the Steelers receivers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Future of Mike Wallace and the Steelers receivers

Going into 2011, we all expected a huge season from Mike Wallace. He did finish with 72 catches for 1,193 yds., that equates to a 16.6 ypc average and 8 TD's to boot. Not a bad years work for the 3rd year receiver that found it more difficult to get open in the 2nd half of the year than the first. Teams rolled coverage his way and arguably he did have some trouble adjusting. That's to be expected though, it takes time to evolve your game after having so much success the first 2 years. When teams play you differently you have to adjust, and I certainly think he can and will.

Antonio Brown was a beneficiary of the extra attention defenses paid to Wallace; just like Wallace benefited from the attention that Ward got last year. can he elevate his game next year? Realizing as well that a healthy Big Ben will play a significant role in that too.

The Steelers will most definitely tender him the highest amount possible so they are assured the chanced to match any offer he gets elsewhere once free agency starts. The thing we have to wonder is, how much money will the Steelers pay to their receivers now. Wallace will either get a new contract this offseason or at least sign his tender offer. You also have to decide what to do with Jerricho Cotchery and Hines Ward. Chances are good that one of them return but not both. If Cotchery comes back, Ward may go elsewhere even though he says he wants to stay. If Tomlin doesn't bring back Cotchery then it's a safe bet Ward returns for sure. As much as we love Wallace, Sanders, and Brown you want to have some quality players behind them because as we saw this year you're going to need them.
    Ed Bouchchette wrote an article in the PG as well talking about this.

Hines Ward will not be the only receiver in danger of leaving the Steelers before the 2012 season begins.

One of the Young Money trio's contract expires, and, whether Mike Wallace returns, could depend on several factors inside and outside the organization.
    Wallace becomes a restricted free agent in March, and, while the Steelers partially can protect their rights to him by offering him a one-year tender, there is no guarantee another team might see more value in him and try to sign him.
    The Steelers likely will tender him a contract high enough -- those numbers have yet to be determined by the league -- to guarantee that, if someone else signs him, the Steelers would receive a first-round draft choice in return or be able to match the contract and keep him. They also could negotiate a long-term deal with Wallace before he becomes a restricted free agent.

Veteran Jerricho Cotchery, who signed a one-year contract with the Steelers in August after asking for and receiving his release from the New York Jets, is a different case. Cotchery will be an unrestricted free agent and, while the Steelers would like him back, they will not offer him big money, and he could look for a team on which he could start.

Losing Ward, Wallace and Cotchery would be a blow to a receiving corps that blossomed in its transition over the past two seasons. Chances are good, however, that they will be able to keep Wallace. Antonio Brown, whose unexpected and phenomenal season earned him the MVP vote from his teammates, will return along with Emmanuel Sanders for their third seasons.

"We know the direction in which we are going with the receiving corps," Sanders said.

My Mood
    Clowns
    I think Wallace is a tremendous talent. Speed is beyond fast and last year he showed signs that he was becoming a better route runner as well. When he said he was shooting for 2000 yards receiving in 2011 I bought into it to a degree because of outstanding he's been.

He got a bit of a reality check this year, still a great year but clearly there is improvements to his game that can be accomplished next year.

My Mood
    Fine
    Some teams have 2 first round picks might go after Wallace.

There are a several good FA receivers available this year so I doubt anyone over pays for Wallace. I'd guess he stays. I'd like to see Cotchery stay and I think Hines will be gone. Maybe a rookie to replace Hines and Cotchery or another mid level FA.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Wallace staying is a no brainer I think, they'll tender him the highest offer. If they don't lock him up before FA starts he'll get some offers but it would have to be from a team that's willing to pay a high price tag for him and I'd be shocked if the Steelers let him go even for a first round pick. It took them a long time to put this group of 3 top receivers together, you don't want to let it go before you have too.

Cotchery though he's the guy I'm most interested in because he likes playing here but he can still be productive. I hope they can convince him to stick around.

Look for significant improvement from the Steelers young receiver corps in 2012.

Reason being: Bad taste in their mouth, OTA's, opportunity to participate in minicamps this season. Wallace will be resigned, once the Steelers clear the dead wood off their payroll.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sanders tweeted today that his foot is finally 100% and he'll be ready for his offseason workout and OTA's. Him staying on the field will go a long way to opening up more opportunities for everyone.

Trade him!

Wallace will probably stay and they'll cut Ward. I don't see them keeping Ward over Cotchery.
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Look for significant improvement from the Steelers young receiver corps in 2012.

Reason being: Bad taste in their mouth, OTA's, opportunity to participate in minicamps this season. Wallace will be resigned, once the Steelers clear the dead wood off their payroll.
    Shouldnt have the SB loss lastyear have been a bad enough taste in there mouths? Specially for Wallace?

Thread Information