Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Draft Discussion

Bookmark and Share

Official 2012 Draft Discussion

Heres a quick mock, early in the process but touches on the needs of the team in a direction i think they could possibly go.

1. Peter Konz, G/C Wisconsin
    Imo hes a better center prospect than Mike Pouncey was last year, and with the steelers drafting him he could play guard or center. I would try to work him in at center and put pouncey at left guard to make sweet sweet sex on turf at the position. Pouncey would thrive as the most athletic guard in the league while konz held down the center spot like a rock.

other possiblities: Cordy Glenn, Dontari Poe, Donta Hightower, Mike Adams, Osemele, Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, Vontaze Bufict, Quinton Coples

2. Brandon Washington, OG MiamiWashington is just a super athletic, mauling guard. Getting him and Konz in rounds 1 and 2 makes the interior line go from bad to terrific. Honestly an interior of Pouncey, Konz, and Washington would easily compete for the best interior line in the league and would probbaly out do carl nicks and jhari evans in new orleans. Marcus Gilbert and Willie colon would be able to dominate at tackles with these guys holding down the interior which has been such a weakness for years.

other possibilities: Taamu, Jesse Chapman, Stephen Gilmore, Mark Barron, Bruce Irvin, Kevin Zeitler, Keenan Robinson, Matt Reynolds, Mike Brewster

3. Jared Crick, DE Nebraska
    This provides us with a great lineup of depth and youth on the dline. You have keisel who is a master of the position and can also play OLB in the pinch, you have Hood who isnt that great at anything but can play NT in a pinch, and then you have Crick and Heyward who are both prototypical stack and shed DEs in our defense...it could just end up being a mean rotation on a once very old dline, injury could lead to crick falling this much, but really hes a late first or early second round talent.

4. Brandon Boykin, CS/FS/RS Georgia
    We need a new return man with Brown starting and Sanders not overly good at it, and really we need to keep drafting CBs to compete because while Lewis showed a ton of improvement and they like what brown and allen did as rookies we need someone to not only lock down the the NB spot but we need quality players that can grow into replacing gay and even ike in a few years. Boykin profiles as more of a NB but that is ok if lewis and brown were to lock down CB spots and cortez allen could possibly make a run at FS.

5. Jeff Demps, RB Florida
    He may go much higher than this but with his size who knows....hes small but has elite speed....that didnt help Trindon Holiday and Noel Devine though....he would compete with baron batch for the 3rd down spot

6. Blair Walsh, Kicker, Georgia

Pretty self explainatory, hes the top kicker this year imo and we need a new reliable kicker.

7. Renard Williams, DT Eastern Washington
    Just a big bodied DT to compete with Al woods, Steve mccledon, and probably Anthony Gray if they bring him back with Chris Hoke retiring and Hampton on his last leg.

Picking Peter Konz in the first would rock, and you damn well better believe that the Ravens would be pissed!

If not Peter Konz is there, Chase Minifield is by far my favorite CB for the Steelers. Obviously we all want them to trade up for Decastro, but we also realize that there is practically no chance for that to happen.

I doubt Jared Crick will last till the third round. I see him go pretty high most places.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

I could definitely see crick falling, but i could also see him going as high as in the 30s

jeff demps has decided to not pursue an NFL career and is training for the olympics in track

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Not much to argue against with that mock.......Fixing the interior of the offensive line is a must.......I like the Saints reference as well......Big reason why Brees can put up the big numbers since he does receive very good protection.....

I'm hoping for Decastro myself but doubt he last until the Steelers pick in the first so they will have to trade up.....Konz or Zeitler were beasts at Wisconsin....I don't know much about Washington so I trust your opinion Ktrain.....

K Train, your mock looks damn good. In reality though, I don't see us doing anything to fix our O-line problems as long as BA is calling the shots on offense. I think if he had his way we'd line up with a center, a QB, and 9 WR's.

the good thing is arians doesnt have **** to say when it comes to drafting. I think they make neccesary moves this year, the oline hurt them too much last season. 2 players like konz and washington is a swing from a bottom 5 oline to a top 5 one.

even guys like osemele, glenn, and especially decastro...this is a good year to need interior linemen

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Interior? Hell we need interior, exterior and any other kind of terior!!!

i think with imporved interior gilbert, starks, colon are plenty good enough

K Train, you're right about Arians not having a say in who we draft. But even if we pull a lucky horse shoe out our asses and come up with five hall of fame linemen, as long as Arians is calling the plays we'll never have another running game. I seriously don't know how many more times I can watch us pass on 3rd and goal from the 1yrd line before I explode.

Thread Information