Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now that Dick Lebeau is returning in 2012, what does the defense need to do different

Bookmark and Share
    Lets hope Timmons doesnt have another year like this past season. Get someone to replace Farrior. Get Woodley healthy and Harrison back to full strength. I also say we need a safety to replace clark.

My Mood
    Fine
    I read that They might groom GAy for a safety spot because he plays better looking at the QB than with his back to him. Timmons filled in all over the Defense and had a good year,not a great year but a good one. I'd like to see him stay in one position.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Get more pressure on QB's. Don't care where it comes from but can't give 'em 5 seconds to throw...
    That's the key for everything we do defensively. Pressure on the QB improves thhe 3rd down conversion rate (which was poor) and forces the other team to turn the ball over (which was also poor.)

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Get more pressure on QB's. Don't care where it comes from but can't give 'em 5 seconds to throw...

FIND A NOSE TACKLE THAT CAN PUT PRESSURE UP THE MIDDLE ON THE OPPOSING QB. THEN THE GUYS ON THE EDGE ARE MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE!!!!!

If they can only do one thing to help the defense, that should be it!!! Hampton has to go and we have to upgrade that position by two players. Some way, some how.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Lets hope Timmons doesnt have another year like this past season. Get someone to replace Farrior. Get Woodley healthy and Harrison back to full strength. I also say we need a safety to replace clark.
    I think Timmons played well this year, what else can you ask from the guy? The spotlight is always on Woodley and Harrison....

--- Added 1/12/2012 at 08:32 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    FIND A NOSE TACKLE THAT CAN PUT PRESSURE UP THE MIDDLE ON THE OPPOSING QB. THEN THE GUYS ON THE EDGE ARE MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE!!!!!

If they can only do one thing to help the defense, that should be it!!! Hampton has to go and we have to upgrade that position by two players. Some way, some how.
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Would like to see more of a 40 look from the defense next year. With Casey being likely out, you line up Hood, McClendon, Keisel and Heyward Across the line, and Woody, Harrison, and Timmons as LB's. Certainly don't abandon the 3-4, but Steelers need to generate more of a pass rush and they won't do it in a 30 front without blitzing, which exposes the CB's inability to cover in man. I'm all for press coverage. No need to be 12 yards off on 3rd and 8 (for example). Oh, and not telegraph the blitzes so much. The element of surprise in the fire zone defense is gone.

I'm the first to preach draft lineman first and foremost, but a cover corner would be nice. First you have to get one, but more importantly you have to give that corner the freedom to break on the ball, not play 10 yds off the ball.

Secondly, hate to say it but let Farrior retire and get some new blood in at the ILB positions. The new pass phenom TE's (see Gronk) are going to come in waves. We need to close the cushions on the outside Wr's and have more speedy ILB's like Timmons.

Don't get me wrong, I like our defense as much as any in the league but a few tweaks could help with the new nfl.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

If DL retires.. We should sign Singletary as Assistant to the new DC..

He built the 49ers D into a machine.. And now Harbuagh has it fine tuned and running.

Think about that. The 49ers were 0 before Singletasry showed up.

Thread Information