Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that Dick Lebeau is returning in 2012, what does the defense need to do different

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Now that Dick Lebeau is returning in 2012, what does the defense need to do different

Normally, Coach Lebeau doesn't address his status for the coming season until after he's had some time to reflect and think. This year though in the exit interviews with Coach Tomlin he said he wanted to come back, and that was that. He's back.

Now, for the defense, what types of things do you think they need to do differently to improve in 2012? I know they finished overall #1 in the league and #1 in points and passing but as we saw there were issues with this group that need to be addressed. Certainly personnel is one, who stays and who goes, but also did they blitz enough in 2011? Do they need to back off more in 2012? The run defense was definitely not up to snuff when compared to just last year and in years past.

Snap Arians Neck.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Snap Arians Neck.

lebeau's defense is a stop the run first kind of defense, yet the league has evolved into a passing league. with the exception of teams like the ravens, lebeau needs to change his secondary's approach to a more press coverage forcing qb's to make throws into tighter windows which could lead to more coverage sacks. he also needs to figure out a new way of getting pressure with the blitz.

personnel is key to all of this as well. our DE's (hood and heyward) are gonna have to be first round draft pick worthy. we need another faster ILB to play along side of timmons, and we gotta figure out different ways for 92 and 56 to get to the QB. the tackles in this league are allowed to hog tie 'em so a straight rush or bull rush around the tackle can't be utilized on every passing down.

oh and the offense needs to start scoring closer to 30 than 20...but if we don't snap arians neck, i doubt it will change.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There are still teams in the league that focus on the run as a big part of their offense but more and more teams are using the passing game as their focal point. Stopping the run will always be important but more and more you better be able to get pressure on the Quarterback and cover the middle part of the field especially.

If the Steelers can get more speed and youth in the middle at linebacker that will go a long way towards being able to stay competitive. It's not like they are completely broken, not by a long stretch. The system is still sound, but you need the players to pull it off.

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Snap Arians Neck.
    Well, he'd have to be sly about it...but, if he shows up at training camp, Harrison could make it look like an accident.
    Last edited by steelspikes; 01-12-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
    STEELSPIKES

A MLB that is not a liability in pass coverage (Farrior), would help...
    Hopefully someone from our young crop of DB's steps up and becomes a playmaker, because that is really what we need. Yeah, Ike can shut em down... But to win Championships now you need two quality corners and a Nickelback who can make plays.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Where do I begin...

There is a lot of credence to what was said about the league becoming a pass-oriented league. Look no further than the top seeds in the conference who are last in defense but in the top 3 in total offense.

First, we must find a Nose Tackle. Casey has played his last downs for us IMO as has Hoke. McClendon does a quality job but I don't believe him to be a 'true' NT for the 3-4 we play. Look for a NT to be high on the draft priority.

We must find a replacement for Farrior. He can no longer hang with tight ends and cannot cover backs to save his life anymore. Is this Sylvester's time finally? I hope so. I'm starting to wonder if Timmons is stuck between an ILB position and an OLB position. I think he was taken advantage of this season because he is not real big and gets run over in the run game. When he is outside, he generates little if any pass rush. He needs to have a big season next year.

On the outside, Woodley obviously needs to stay healthy. I liked what I saw from Worilds as the season wore on, but he needs work in both the run game and the pass rush. Harrison is a huge question mark because of his age. His durability was pretty good this season, but he has had lots of injuries. Not sure how long he can keep up a high level of play.

In the secondary, Ike is solid at one quarter, but I believe we need a step up from Gay or Lewis. Is Cortez the guy? Not sure, he might be being groomed for a Safety position. TP has another year or two left with good health and frankly, I like Clark, but I can see him moving on.

In terms of scheme, LeBeau needs to decide what this defense is. Is it still an attacking defense or one that keeps plays in front of it? Sure seems to me like he backed off the blitz a lot this season. Where were the corner blitzes this year? What happened to more zone pressure? Seems like we just went really vanilla and it cost us.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Get more pressure on QB's. Don't care where it comes from but can't give 'em 5 seconds to throw...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

We need to get faster and younger everywhere. Lebeau needs to change his schemes up also

My Mood
    Breezy
    I think that we need to rotate in the young rooks and draft picks while lebeau and the Vets are still here so we can pass along this smash mouth steeler D

Thread Information