Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ward retire? Update: Says he's not retiring, is willing to restructure

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

Will Ward retire? Update: Says he's not retiring, is willing to restructure

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-will-retire/

Report: Hines Ward will retire

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2012, 11:48 AM EST

Getty Images
    With the Steelers facing the start of the long offseason, decisions will start being made about the future of the roster.

One player to watch on that front is Hines Ward. Ward turns 36 in March and after seeing his role cut dramatically in his 14th NFL season, thereís been some talk that he might be ready to call it a career. Ward, who has two years left on his contract, said last month that he hasnít been thinking about retiring, but a report from Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com on Monday sings a different tune.

Freeman reports that he got a text from a Steelers player after the 29-23 overtime loss to the Broncos saying that the ďexpectations around the teamĒ are that Ward will not return for another season. The player isnít Ward so thereís obviously a pretty big grain of salt in the mix, but the 2011 season didnít provide much evidence of a bright future for Ward.

Whatever future he has might not be in Pittsburgh. With a strong receiving corps in place and a need to get younger before next season, the Steelers might not have a place for Ward on their roster. Cutting ties with a player who has 1,000 career catches and two Super Bowl rings as a Steeler wouldnít be all that easy, but similar moves have been made before and the Steelers havenít shown an aversion to making tough decisions like that in the past.

If this is the end for Ward, you can bet there will be a spirited debate about his Hall of Fame credentials in a few years. It will be the rare case when a wide receiverís blocking ability plays a major role in the discussion.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thanks for the years Hines!

PS: Take Bruce with you...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    PITTSBURGH -- Reports are swirling that Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward will announce his retirement soon, but sources told Channel 11 Sports reporter Rich Walsh that isn’t the case.

Just one day after the Denver Broncos knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs with a 29-23 victory, reports began surfacing that Ward, 35, is considering hanging up his cleats.

However, sources told Walsh Ward doesn’t want to retire and could possibly be back for another season.

The Super Bowl XL MVP was tossed around the lineup this year with younger stars like Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown seeing most of the action.

It was Ward who set the standards, however, breaking many records while with the Steelers, the only team he has played for in his 15-year NFL career.

The latest milestone came on Jan. 1 when Ward became only the eighth player in NFL history to nab 1,000 catches.In December, the two-time Super Bowl champion became the 19th player in NFL history to reach 12,000 receiving yards,Ward is also the Steelers all-time leader in receptions (1,000), yardage (12,083) and touchdowns (85) for a receiver.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/30169022/detail.html

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    posted on hines fb page

I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

as we seen last night hines would be the 5th wheel... and with them again holding onto tyler grisham (how much Prac Squad availability does he have left?) looks like theres not much room for the guy... well see

id love to see him ride off into the sunset but not sure thats gonna happen

Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    patriots-hater

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel

A message from Hines

I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES
    https://www.facebook.com/officialhin...50492195745945

My Mood
    Chatty
    Thank God!! I was not ready for Hines to go out yet....would love for him to go our like Bettis...

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Rookie Free Agent StillersSound's Avatar
    He's going to have to take a pay cut and stop dancing like a star. If he's serious he should take a few weeks off and start training/conditioning right away. He lost a step, I would love to see him get it back.

My Mood
    Clowns
    I agree if Ward is going to stay he is going to have to take a tremendous amount of less money and accept his role of being a 5th receiver. The Steelers have got to cut some of these older players loose with higher salaries in order for them to lock up the younger guys that are going to need signed and also to replace those older guys with guys in the draft.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Hines will be a Steeler next season, mark it down!! The media will make it dramatic and there will probably be reports that he's refusing to take less money, that he'll be released, blah, blah, blah. Hines Ward IS the very definition of a Pittsburgh Steelers and he will NOT be on ANY OTHER team BUT the Pittsburgh Steelers!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, he has to be a Steeler next season because my dream of going to training camp is going to happen this August, or so my family tells me, and my all-time favorite Steeler/athlete has to be there!!

Chris

Thread Information