Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrison's Hit on Decker

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Addicted

Harrison's Hit on Decker

This is why I love Bleacher Report:

Thanks to a history littered with fines and a suspension for illegal hits, when Pittsburgh's James Harrison lit up Denver receiver Eric Decker in Sunday's Wild Card matchup, immediately some spectators cried foul. Decker immediately left the game and will reportedly miss Denver's next game with a sprained left MCL.

After reviewing the video, I simply can't agree that it was a dirty hit.

After Decker catches the ball you can see Harrison zero in on his waist. He then lowers himself and leans his shoulder in towards his upper thigh. In the process, Decker's knee collides with the Steelers' linebacker and there may have been some helmet-to-knee contact as well.

If you see the hit at full speed, it looks as if Harrison lowered his helmet directly into Decker's knee. Upon further review in slow motion, that simply isn't the case.

Harrison has been flagged and fined many times for his hits, but this one isn't something that should even be looked at. Decker was in the open field and Harrison deliberately went to tackle him below the waist, possibly to avoid going anywhere above that, and potentially risking a penalty.

At some point you have to stop waiting around for Harrison to do something dirty. Yes, his hits have been questionable in the past, but this one on Decker was clean. Receivers are exposed to getting lit up by linebackers when they go over the middle and had this been a hit from anyone but Harrison, no one would be questioning it.

Harrison made a good, clean football play, but unfortunately Decker's knee was injured in the process.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-a-dirty-play

Obviously I agree with the article, but I was reading some other articles and some comments on them, and people are saying that Harrison should now be suspended for THIS hit. It's mind boggling to me. Harrison gets criticized and chastised for the way that he tackles, in response to that he changes the way he plays, and people STILL want him castigated. It's not about the way he tackles anymore. People want to hate on him now simply because he's the NFL poster boy for unsportsmanlike hits, so every tackle he makes for the rest of his career will be classified as a "dirty" hit and will be forever scrutinized by the NFL and everyone who's a fan of the NFL (besides Steeler fans, of course).

I feel bad for him, really. A player who, 10 years ago, would have been considered one of the best in the league, and his talent is being down played because Sir. Goodell is on his way to changing the NFL to the NFFL.

Why would people want him suspended? It was a clean hit. It just shows you how much people hate on the steelers and the players. First it was Ward with the hit on Rivers. The Harrisons hit. It will never end people talking about something a steelers player has done. It will never end, but there should be nothing at all coming out of the commisioners office for that tackle.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Because he "went for his knee on purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    I knew that would be said. We were all laughing at work when the hit happened and I said where was the flag and that thats a 2 game suspension

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post

People need to put them selves in the defenders shoes. Watch the play. The WR was running full speed across the field almost right at Harrison.

Harrrison of two years ago would have hit the guy right in the chest and probably killed him. Harrison of 2011 went low to avoid the penalty. I've played football and frankly I think most defenders would go low on a guy running right at you full speed. That's a much softer collision then shoulder to chest in that situation. Consider Harrison's fear of the league with the head shots and I think Harrison did exactly what the NFL is telling him to do.

Players have been saying this as well....if we can't hit high then we have to go for the knees. What should he have done? tried grabbing his jersey?

--- Added 1/10/2012 at 08:26 AM ---

Anyone remember that rule that says you cannot hit a QB below the knees? I think they called that Brady rule #2 ....or was it the Palmer rule? Either way Ben was hit more then once below the knees and he didn't even have the ball. It was blatantly ignored and has been all season for Big Ben. That gets ZERO protection.

In no way possible should that hit be fined!! The league shouldn't even be reviewing it,it has no reason. If they are reviewing it Harrison should sue them for discrimination,being single out. The helmet to helmet on Wallace should have been a penalty and fine, if the STEELERS had done it it would be.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    In no way possible should that hit be fined!! The league shouldn't even be reviewing it,it has no reason. If they are reviewing it Harrison should sue them for discrimination,being single out. The helmet to helmet on Wallace should have been a penalty and fine, if the STEELERS had done it it would be.
    If they fine him and I was him I'd quit playing and take up knitting!

I can't even believe this is a discussion!

Pre Goodell = Steelers hard hitting scary defense.

Post Goodell = Not scary afraid to hit anyone, it's an fn JOKE!

Elway: Harrison 'had no other option' but to tackle Decker low NFL.com Wire Reports
    Published: Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:22 a.m.

Whether he goes high or low, James Harrison has trouble escaping his critics, but he's found an unlikely defender in Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway.

After the Steelers linebacker tackled Eric Decker at the knees in Sunday's wild-card thriller -- resulting in a sprained knee for the Broncos wideout -- Elway pointed out that Harrison was making an effort to play according to revised NFL rules cracking down on helmet-to-helmet hits.

"The target is now lower," Elway told KSMT-FM on Monday, via USA Today. "Harrison yesterday, because of the fact that he's been fined so often, really had no other option. ... I don't think he intended to hurt Eric. But obviously because of the situations he's been in, he had to go low and stay away from the head. And it ended up costing an MCL sprain for Eric."

Harrison received a one-game suspension for his illegal helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy this season, after knocking out Browns wide receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs with concussions last season -- hits that resulted in hefty fines for the All-Pro linebacker.

Decker, ruled day-to-day for Saturday's divisional playoff meeting with the New England Patriots, is a huge part of the Broncos' passing game, leading the team in receptions (44), receiving yards (612) and touchdowns (8).
    Last edited by BlacknGold Bleeder; 01-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Suspend him for 8 games next season and his kid 4 weeks of school.

Quote Originally Posted by BR7 View Post
    Suspend him for 8 games next season and his kid 4 weeks of school.
    YYYYYEEEESSSS!!!!!!

what about the helmet to hemet hit on Wallace . . . did no one else see this?

Thread Information