Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The timeout usages on the last drive were horrific...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    saints-hater

The timeout usages on the last drive were horrific...

I would have to go back and look at the game officially to see how much time exactly ticked off there after the Antonio Brown reception around midfield there with about 50 or so seconds left, but for Tomlin and the offense to allow over 20 seconds on the clock to tick down before the great catch that Sanders made around the 45 yard line and not use one of the two timeouts they had available there to give the offense a rest and set-up 2 or 3 plays that would allow them to get into FG range was completely and totally inexcusable.

We have seen this with Tomlin time and time again before the half and at the end of games is that he is completely and utterly clueless when it comes to knowing when to use his timeouts. Those last 3 or 4 plays on that drive with 25 seconds or so left with Ben taking a sack and fumbling and then getting a delay of game are just things that should not and cannot happen. With that being said, and I know this was in another thread about Suisham trying a 66 yarder I most definitely would have tried that as opposed to throwing a hail mary up in the end zone which didnt even happen because Ben couldnt even get the throw off because he got sacked. Sushi was nailing touchbacks all game long and with that thin goofy mile-high air you just never know how far a ball is going to travel there if you hit it with enough authority and hit it clean.

Yes it was!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    We have seen this with Tomlin time and time again before the half and at the end of games is that he is completely and utterly clueless when it comes to knowing when to use his timeouts. Those last 3 or 4 plays on that drive with 25 seconds or so left with Ben taking a sack and fumbling and then getting a delay of game are just things that should not and cannot happen. With that being said, and I know this was in another thread about Suisham trying a 66 yarder I most definitely would have tried that as opposed to throwing a hail mary up in the end zone which didnt even happen because Ben couldnt even get the throw off because he got sacked. Sushi was nailing touchbacks all game long and with that thin goofy mile-high air you just never know how far a ball is going to travel there if you hit it with enough authority and hit it clean.
    The comeback in Arizona was a miracle. At this point I'm confident that he is incapable of managing a close game in the final moments.

Draft Pick
    It has been happening the whole year every single time at the end of each half. I'm disgusted by how pathetic that was.

1st and 10 with 30 something seconds left and Ben takes a sack? That is horrendous. If nobody is open in 3 seconds, chuck it outta bounds.

Rookie Free Agent StillersSound's Avatar
    Yup! I'm starting to question Tomlin myself... From when to use a timeout to when to kick a field goal to rushing injured players back. He says all the right things to the media and he can get the guys motivated to play but his football knowledge is lacking.

Clock management is definitely not his strong suit,but Ben gets some of the blame there also. He has to know when to throw it out of bounds and when to call a time out or just spike it !! The players often like to say there that they left some plays out on the field...well they left a lot of seconds out there also...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Yes it was!
    Very much so. I noticed that myself.

IIRC, Tomlin has never been known as a good time management coach though.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The time out use age been horrible all year...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This has been the primary knock against Tomlin since he took over the team. His clock management is nothing short of a nightmare. It's something you think would get better over time but that certainly has not been the case.

Some of that blame falls on the players too. Ben taking his time at the line before the snap, or letting the clock run down repeatedly before taking the snap.

The use of timeouts drives you bananas because so many of them are caused by taking so long to snap that you can't get a play off. Or you make a big play and then try to run down and get another off that goes south.

Thread Information