Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Question LeBeau

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Why I Question LeBeau

For the first time in his tenure as DC for the Steelers I am now convinced Coach LeBeau has seen better days and change is needed. Here is why...

Our typical 3-4 defense typically has its CBs play 10-12 yards off the WRs. We are willing to give up catches in front of us as long as we make tackles and will rely on our pressure to get to the QB for any plays longer than that. LeBeau screwed up big time last night. He sold out way to much on the run and left our CBs, guys who play 'off' 90% of the time in one-on-one situations. That is not Ike Taylor's game and he was exposed because he was locked on a guy that was bigger, faster and stronger than he was without much cushion.

The second part of the equation is the lack of blitzing. The last three weeks, teams have blitzed Tebow like crazy forcing him into bad decisions and turnovers. We brought ZERO pressure yesterday in any form and gave him more time to throw he's probably had all season.

Third, why was James Harrison constantly looking inside and getting burned by Tebow to the edge? Teach and tell the man to keep contain and not go for the fakes. That's what the inside guys are for.

The gameplan was flawed from the get-go. Time to turn the keys over to our LBs coach and get this defense back to it's old self again.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Did we press their WR's at all? It seemed we were playing soft on the outside ones thus getting torched!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

So he has 1 bad game plan and you want to get rid of him?? Granted last night's plan was completly different then most of season,but I can remember many times on this board people wanting press coverage on WRs...be carful what ya wish for ....
    If we had played off the WR like we had all season would we have done better? No one will know for sure, but after last night's performance, it looks like he knew what he was doing by playing the corners off the WR and keeping the plays in front of them....

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think we were all shocked at the lack of pressure. You were hoping that with the return of Lamarr Woodley that the pass rush would magically reappear when all the starters were back on the field in the front 7. Then Hampton goes out, Keisel goes out, and suddenly there is absolutely no push up the middle at all.

As far as Ike goes, I think selling out to stop the run was the right call initially because Tebow gave almost no indication that he was able to make those long, deep, throws consistently so you focus on McGahee who's burned you in the past and hope your corners and safeties can hold up. That's all well and good until Tebow started to burn them and you would think the adjustments would then come either step up the pass rush or play off in the secondary and look for the interception or bad throw to end drives like Tebow has done all year.

Timmy stepped up, the Steelers did not. The injuries and lack of adjustments by the defense was tough to swallow no question about it. I put the blame on the players as much as coaches.

Kudos to Tebow and the Broncos. Here's a QB that was more than written off in this game then he goes off on the leagues "#1" ranked defense, congrats to them and Fox, IMO he deserves a ton of credit too!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    I have another reason: prevent defense. He has no idea when to use it. This ain't the 1970s no more old man. You gotta defend against the pass somehow.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    So he has 1 bad game plan and you want to get rid of him?? Granted last night's plan was completly different then most of season,but I can remember many times on this board people wanting press coverage on WRs...be carful what ya wish for ....
    If we had played off the WR like we had all season would we have done better? No one will know for sure, but after last night's performance, it looks like he knew what he was doing by playing the corners off the WR and keeping the plays in front of them....
    It isn't just one game. He's been losing it more and more with each game ever since the legendary 09 season.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think too often the Steelers defending the pass the way they do brings criticism. The bend/don't break mentality usually serves them well but teams with high powered offenses are taking advantage of it. It's not that the 34 is obsolete, look what Texans have done with Wade Philips, taking over that team and turning them around.

I have no right grounds to question Lebeau's wisdom and defensive savy. I do question the talent on defense and the lack of players stepping up. Perhaps the injuries were just too much to bear this year. After all with virtually no defensive line left the 34 just doesn't work, especially with corners that are mostly just above average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Kudos to Tebow and the Broncos. Here's a QB that was more than written off in this game then he goes off on the leagues "#1" ranked defense, congrats to them and Fox, IMO he deserves a ton of credit too!!
    #1 ranked defense is debatable but still your point is well heard. He didn't give up and even after a bad first quarter he came back and kept fighting. The Broncos exploited the Steelers weakness of injuries on the defense and poor offensive line play.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I am not suggesting we be in tight coverage at all. I am saying that whether you are tight or 12 yards off, we are going to get burnt if we have ZERO help from the safety because they were too busy inside the box. That's not how our CBs play and then all of the sudden we expect them to play that way in the playoffs? Dumb.

As far as LeBeau and one game... The only game he coached the team up this year well in my opinion was the Pats game. Other than that he was very average this season.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    I am not suggesting we be in tight coverage at all. I am saying that whether you are tight or 12 yards off, we are going to get burnt if we have ZERO help from the safety because they were too busy inside the box. That's not how our CBs play and then all of the sudden we expect them to play that way in the playoffs? Dumb.
    It happens way too often and happened too often yesterday that a pass goes for a long gain because of no safety help over the middle. It's all fine and dandy that Troy calls his own plays and spends half his time in the box, but when the middle of the field is our weakest spot at far as pass defense goes, you gotta have someone over there to give help to the CBs.

Thread Information