Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time for the Front Office to use Free agency

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

It's time for the Front Office to use Free agency

We have O-line problems, we have D-line (no pass rush) problems and we have cornerback
    problems. We can't solve them all with the draft. It's time the FO join the 21st century
    and use free agency. I"m not saying they have to go and get a ton of guys but using it
    just a bit will go along way with this team.

And we need to add depth at safety too. Our secondary was lost with out Ryan Clark today. It is not a coincidence that Clark doesn't play and the secondary has it's worse
    game of the year.

--- Added 1/8/2012 at 08:09 PM ---

Not having Clark was a bigger loss then we knew it was going to be.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers will never use free agency like other teams do. They keep the status quo, way they've always done things, mentality in full swing this offseason. They are so close to the cap that signing big time free agents is virtually out of the question unless you cut several players.

Now guys like Hampton, Farrior, and Smith could be gone which will free up some space but there is a lot to be worked out as we head towards the draft.

Hampton is done. He can't play anymore. Period. I don't want to see Hampton back unless he takes a monster pay cut AND HE BECOMES THE BACKUP!

If Hampton is the starter next year, there is no reason to expect another SB appearance.None. We need pressure on the opposing QB up the middle. Like we used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    We have O-line problems, we have D-line (no pass rush) problems and we have cornerback
    problems. We can't solve them all with the draft. It's time the FO join the 21st century
    and use free agency. I"m not saying they have to go and get a ton of guys but using it
    just a bit will go along way with this team.

And we need to add depth at safety too. Our secondary was lost with out Ryan Clark today. It is not a coincidence that Clark doesn't play and the secondary has it's worse
    game of the year.

--- Added 1/8/2012 at 08:09 PM ---

Not having Clark was a bigger loss then we knew it was going to be.
    Totally agree! The draft is not the only answer.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Big Snack struggled early in the year but had a solid showing since the bye week. The problem is not that Hampton alone was missing but Keisel was gone. When you lose both of those guys and the elder statesman of the defensive line is Ziggy Hood, you have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Big Snack struggled early in the year but had a solid showing since the bye week. The problem is not that Hampton alone was missing but Keisel was gone. When you lose both of those guys and the elder statesman of the defensive line is Ziggy Hood, you have problems.
    When your down to your last 3 lineman it is definitely a major problem!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Rookie Free Agent
    Not going to happen. Id like to think Farrior, Smith and maybe Hampton are done but its hard to fill these holes. steelers still had 16 guys play in Denver who had been there the last time they played in the AFC championship. Denver had only 2 players. Denver had not played a post season game since that game.

This is why the Steelers are competitive year in and year out. They dont panic and they draft well.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Now guys like Hampton, Farrior, and Smith could be gone which will free up some space but there is a lot to be worked out as we head towards the draft.
    There's actually a number of players that could be let go. Those three, Hines, Kimo. Don't forget Hoke has what's likely a career ending injury. Foote as well. Some hard decisions needs to be made this off-season.

IMO, the two biggest areas for improvement both deal with pressure on the QB, getting some on D, and stopping it on O. Everything else we do will improve if those do.

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    McLendon and Cam Heyward will be a FORCE for us. Ziggy is continuing to improve. I tend to agree, Big Hamp is at the end of his career with the Steelers and not performing even remotely close to what he's being paid. To be honest, I think Hoke was playing a better nose the past 2 years.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSteelerFan View Post
    McLendon and Cam Heyward will be a FORCE for us. Ziggy is continuing to improve. I tend to agree, Big Hamp is at the end of his career with the Steelers and not performing even remotely close to what he's being paid. To be honest, I think Hoke was playing a better nose the past 2 years.
    Hoke was playing better. But we need to be able to push the middle of the pocket. Like we use to do. We haven't been able to do that in a while. Heyward should be ready for some real duty on the DE. But the nose tackle position is at red alert status.

If we could just add one major guy from free agency to address one of those needs, then take a younger guy late in the draft to back that spot up also, it would go along way for us. Using free agency to fix ONE area of need is what I"m talking about.

Same way we used free agency to fix one area of need a long time ago. His name was Jerome Bettis.

Thread Information