Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to let Redman run wild?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Time to let Redman run wild?

This is the time when we get to see what Isaac Redman can really do. The job from here on out, for as long as the Steelers last in the postseason, is his. He is the man that will carry the load on the ground as the primary 'back in Bruce Arians offense. He's shown flashes in limited action for the last 2 years and with 92 yds. last Sunday and 1 TD he is poised to take over again this weekend against the Broncos. With a less than healthy Ben Roethlisberger, a solid ground game will go a long way to slowing down the pass rush and keeping the Steelers offense on the field and Big Ben's jersey clean.

One of the more compelling success stories in a locker room filled with them once spent an entire day carrying around a football. It was atonement for fumbling in a game.

It didn't happen this week at the Steelers' practice facility, but years ago in Paulsboro, N.J., a Philadelphia suburb where Isaac Redman excelled in football and wrestling at a school that excels in both sports.

"My coach made me do that," Redman said of legendary Paulsboro High coach Glenn Howard. "I don't know what it was supposed to do. It was sitting on my desk in class. It was barely in my hands."

The ball will be in Redman's hands plenty during the playoffs, starting Sunday when the Steelers visit Denver for an AFC wild-card game.

Rashard Mendenhall's season-ending knee injury has thrust Redman into the starting lineup, and the former undrafted free agent is the only healthy running back with significant NFL experience on the roster.

The bruising Redman averaged 4.4 yards per carry this season and converted nine of the 11 times he got the ball on third-and-2 or less. The 6-foot, 230-pounder is adept enough at picking up blitzing linebackers that he will serve as the Steelers' third-down back, as well as their featured runner.

"I'd be lying if I say I'm fine being a backup my whole career," said Redman, who rushed for 479 yards and three touchdowns this season. "Any chance I get I want to showcase my talent, and hopefully somebody here or wherever looks at me and says, 'Man, that guy is capable of being a No. 1 back in this league.' "

That self-assuredness is one reason why no one in the Steelers' locker room is worried that Redman lost two fumbles last Sunday in Cleveland. Coach Mike Tomlin apparently hasn't lost any sleep over the turnovers, either — or what they may portend.
    "Actually, Coach Tomlin hasn't said anything to me about it," Redman said. "They understand that it's not like it's been an ongoing problem." Read the rest.

Redman doesn't go down easy and I like that. I think he will be fine in replacement of Mendy. I'm not too concerned about the fumbles if Tomlin isn't. Of course if he fumbles during the game I'll be going crazy. lol
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

The fumbles were last week, this is this week. I trust he'll be ready to go!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

lol run wild....sure.

oline needs to play lights out cause with redman and clay we have the slowest RBs to the LOS in the league. i like redman as a reciever tho and hes a good pass blocker so im sure BA will call 75 passes a game

My Mood
    Mellow
    i'm not too concerned with his fumbles either, but why is it when mendy fumbles like twice a year many think he has problems in that area but redman fumbles twice in a game and it's no big deal?

i'd love to see us pound it with issac and clay and wear down denvers defense. we need to get an early lead in this and grind them into dust!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Steel View Post
    i'm not too concerned with his fumbles either, but why is it when mendy fumbles like twice a year many think he has problems in that area but redman fumbles twice in a game and it's no big deal?
    i'd love to see us pound it with issac and clay and wear down denvers defense. we need to get an early lead in this and grind them into dust!
    so much truth.

its not a good sign that it gets a little cold out and redman put the ball on the ground twice

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think anyone is concerned long term with Redman fumbling. He let it go twice last weekend but he's not a fumble machine anymore than Mendenhall is.

Rashard's problem is that when he does fumble it's at the worst time possible in the biggest game. Other than that he's usually pretty solid.

I think there is still a question mark about Redman mainly because he never gets a full games worth of carries on a regular basis. If the Steelers go deep into the playoffs and Redman is running close too or over 100 yds per game, he'll silence a lot of critics.

If he can run against Denver he gets my nod for what its worth. That said, I doubt he can.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    19 carries for 92 yards ain't too shabby..especially when it was in pretty much 3 quarters. Besides the fumbles late in the game he had a pretty good game.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    19 carries for 92 yards ain't too shabby..especially when it was in pretty much 3 quarters. Besides the fumbles late in the game he had a pretty good game.
    4.84 average isn't too shabby, I feel pretty good about him..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information