Thread: Chad Spann activated from practice squad

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Chad Spann activated from practice squad

The Steelers added depth to their depleted corps of running backs today when they signed rookie Chad Spann from their practice squad.

The Steelers made room on their 53-man roster by placing outside linebacker Chris Carter on injured reserve. Carter has battled hamstring problems throughout much of his rookie season.

The signing of Spann comes a day after the Steelerd put feature back Rashard Mendenhall on injured reserve because of a torn ACL. He gives the Steelers four running backs on their roster, though Mewelde Moore is questionable to play Sunday in Denver because of a knee injury that has sidelined him for the last two games.

Spann played at Northern Illinois and scored a school-record 23 touchdowns his senior season. He had spent time on the practice squads in Indianapolis and Tampa Bay before signing with the Steelers.
    PRO (0-0/0-0): Signed to the Steelers' Active Roster on January 4, 2012...Signed to the Steelers’ practice squad on December 12, 2011…released from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ practice squad on November 7, 2011…signed to the Buccaneers’ practice squad on October 17, 2011…released by the Indianapolis Colts on September 5, 2011…originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Colts on July 29, 2011.

2011 (0-0/0-0): Spent time with the Colts and Buccaneers before being signed to the Steelers’ practice squad...1/4: Signed to the Steelers’ active roster to provide depth at the running back position.

COLLEGE: Played in 50 games with 20 starts…majored in English...finished career with 536 rushes for 2,916 yards and 49 touchdowns…set a school record for rushing touchdowns in a single season (22) in 2010, which was also tops in the FBS…added 23 receptions for 198 yards and one touchdown.

PERSONAL: Attended North Central High School (Indianapolis)…first team all-state selection as a senior after earning second team honors his junior year…first team all-area and all-conference choice as a senior and was a second team all-conference selection his junior year….set school records with 1,935 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns while averaging 8.8 yards per carry during his senior season...totaled 1,187 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns as a junior and rushed for 400 yards as a sophomore…competed in track and set a school record for the indoor long jump with a mark of 22.8 feet…three-time state qualifier in the long jump and qualified for the outdoor 200m as a senior…son of Wanda Spann-Roddy and George Roddy III…Full name: Chad Spann.

My Mood
    Fight
    Great a warm body to sacrifice
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Chad who? I thought you said fast Willie Parker
    "HAIL TO PITT"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Let's face it, if Chad has to play we are in some serious trouble. That means Redman has gone down and all that's left is Clay and Spann. Or Clay has gone down and Spann has to come in and spell Redman. The best thing now is that Mewelde gets back on the field as soon as possible just to have as an option if need be.

He's got experience in carrying the load on offense, his numbers are pretty decent in college so you have to hope if he does play he's up to the challenge.

"The standard is the standard"
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityVoice View Post
    "The standard is the standard"
    Nicely played.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The running back situation is going to be very interesting come next training camp. If Spann has to play and ends up playing well then you have literally a very crowded backfield full of solid players and only precious few spot.

If Spann wants a shot at this team in the future he'll have to take advantage of any playing time he gets.

Chad Spann activated from practice squad

"championship"

LOL
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Playoffs and Redman the starter just have me thinking that Redman is really getting ready for his official debut. Lets go Redman... Now lets block for him....

Redman goes Primetime...

Thread Information