Thread: NFL suspends Browns center for four games

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Ratbirds

NFL suspends Browns center for four games

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - The Browns' gaping hole at center just got wider, and their training camp more bizarre.

Alonzo Ephraim, an emergency signing after LeCharles Bentley went down with a season-ending knee injury, was suspended Wednesday for the first four regular-season games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

The league said Ephraim may continue to participate in all preseason games, practices and games. He will be eligible to rejoin the Browns' active roster on Oct. 2.

Ephraim played two seasons for the Philadelphia Eagles and started three games for the Miami Dolphins last season. For him to be suspended, this would have to be his second violation under the league's policy.

The Browns signed Ephraim as a free agent on July 29, two days after Bentley tore his patellar tendon on the second day of camp. Ephraim initially was brought in as a backup, but quickly moved into a starting job when veteran Bob Hallen abruptly retired, citing a back problem the Browns say they knew nothing about.

Ephraim started last week's preseason opener against Philadelphia, but earlier this week Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Ross Tucker, acquired last week in a trade from New England, likely will start Friday's exhibition game against the Detroit Lions.

The shuffling at center is only part of what has been a crazy camp for the Browns.

Bentley's injury was followed by cornerback Daylon McCutcheon and right tackle Ryan Tucker needing to have knee surgeries. Both will likely miss the rest of the preseason.

Last week, cornerback Gary Baxter strained a pectoral muscle and will miss three weeks. On Monday, the Browns traded running back Lee Suggs to the New York Jets, who then sent him back to Cleveland after he failed his physical.

And if all that wasn't enough, Browns owner Randy Lerner has bid $118 million to buy Aston Villa, one of the oldest clubs in English soccer.

Despite the apparent gloom and doom, Crennel is staying optimistic.

"There have been some issues at this camp, but I don't look at it as bizarre," he said. "Things happen. There are a lot of bizarre things that happen in football. If you've been around football for a long time, you see quite a few of them. Other things will happen before it's all said and done."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5878842
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    What it wasnt a bengal

ASU 4 LIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by koopa
    quickly moved into a starting job when veteran Bob Hallen abruptly retired, citing a back problem
    hahaha....i would claim back problem if i had to play for the browns too!

LOL are they even going to have an offensive line??? I would imagine we are going to see alot of shotgun to save Frye from being the next David Carr
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
    LOL are they even going to have an offensive line??? I would imagine we are going to see alot of shotgun to save Frye from being the next David Carr

Even that might not be enough.
    Last edited by SteelersfaninPhilly; 08-19-2006 at 04:24 PM.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

in the matter of like 2 weeks the Browns went from a possible building year to just lets survive the year
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

My Mood
    Addicted
    That franchise has been cursed ever since they get the team back.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    That franchise has been cursed ever since they get the team back.
    They must have been. I'm not sure it could get much worse for them. Before the draft they looked pretty good with their signings and all. Now they just look like the Browns again lol.

My Mood
    Amazed

NFl Suspends Brown's Center

Quote Originally Posted by Prosdo
    They must have been. I'm not sure it could get much worse for them. Before the draft they looked pretty good with their signings and all. Now they just look like the Browns again lol.

You said it I was hoping for a renewed rivalry....oh well
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information