Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 264

Thread: Official Pirates Thread

  1. #11
    #1 Patsies Hater SteelerFan87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,599
    I was at that game. It was good untill they blew it and the Nats scored 4 in the 11th.

    SteelersfaninPhilly, you should go. The stadium is amazing, there is a hotel right by it, and, if you go for a whole series, you just might get lucky and see them win one.

    Anyway, I do think new ownership is needed. The Nuttings have to be the worst owners in sports. They don't spend money, they don't care about winning, they make a huge profit, and they refuse to even talk to anyone. They're quite comfortable with using McClatchy as a scapegoat, even though he has very little power now.

    I heard the Pirates make enough from revenue sharing to almost pay for their entire roster without selling a single ticket. I have a baseball videogame in which the Pirates' budget is 65 million dollars. I got Ramirez back, and signed a few other people, and my payroll is still below that, at 61 million. If the Bucs spent 61 million dollars, they would have a pretty good team, and they can definitely afford it. Hell, the Nuttings just went out and bought Seven Springs for 100 million!

    I think they rotation just needs some time to develop. I was watching the Nightly Sports Call on UPN, and they had the records and ERA of some of the Braves great pitchers back in their first few seasons. They were all the same or worse than the Pirates pitchers now. Tom Glavine was alot worse than Zach Duke. So you have to give the pitchers time. I think the oldest one, other than Wells, is 23 or 24. A couple years, and they'll be great, I think.

    Other than that, obviously get rid of Burnitz, Randa, and Jose Hernandez. Then, spend that 10 million dollars on a good, consistent, power hitting right fielder. Someone who won't go into a huge slump along with everyone else when they start losing. I'd like them to get a star, but they won't, so I'd be happy with Jose Guillen. Guillen was crushing the ball at PNC Park last year, he's a pretty good hitter with good power, and he's not bad on defense. And he hasn't had any discipline problems for a while.

  2. #12
    SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87
    Anyway, I do think new ownership is needed. The Nuttings have to be the worst owners in sports. They don't spend money, they don't care about winning, they make a huge profit, and they refuse to even talk to anyone. They're quite comfortable with using McClatchy as a scapegoat, even though he has very little power now.

    I heard the Pirates make enough from revenue sharing to almost pay for their entire roster without selling a single ticket. I have a baseball videogame in which the Pirates' budget is 65 million dollars. I got Ramirez back, and signed a few other people, and my payroll is still below that, at 61 million. If the Bucs spent 61 million dollars, they would have a pretty good team, and they can definitely afford it. Hell, the Nuttings just went out and bought Seven Springs for 100 million!
    Great points, and many people dont realize the Nuttings are the majority owners. I think we really could have a decent ballclub but we've been in a "5 Year Rebuilding Plan" for the last 10 years
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

  3. #13
    Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    At the bar
    Posts
    6,268
    Thanks guys. Really looking at September now. Since I some how got NYC and DC trips on the schedule in August.


    http://americanat.blogspot.com/

    I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!





    Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.







  4. #14
    SteelerDan43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,311
    At this point just let the young guys play, let them get the experience.

    PS we are getting crushed by Colorado 12-1 in the top of the 7th
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

    R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

  5. #15
    #1 Patsies Hater SteelerFan87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT23
    Great points, and many people dont realize the Nuttings are the majority owners. I think we really could have a decent ballclub but we've been in a "5 Year Rebuilding Plan" for the last 10 years
    It's not even a real rebuilding plan. It's a half-assed rebuilding plan, meant to keep the payroll down, with a few washed up rent-a-players brought in every year to sell season tickets. A rebuilding plan is what the Marlins are doing.

    Seriously, I'd be happy with rebuilding every few years if it was like the Marlins and it actually built a team that could be a contender once in a while.

  6. #16
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    If they would stop signing all these washed up old farts every off season and used it on keeping the talent we had (Kendall, Giles) we would have a pretty good team now.

  7. #17
    SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,763
    Oh Jesus...look at Gorzelanny's line...

    2.2 Innings
    5 ER
    5 walks

    Im gonna blame this one on the fact he hasnt pitched in 12 days. I'm hopefully going to the game tomorrow to see my buddy play, Cory Sullivan. He's an OF for the Rockies.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

  8. #18
    SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Morgantown,WV/Yardley,PA
    Posts
    3,854
    Pirates will be good look at the tigers last years worst team the all-star game was in detriot and now there great and the same will happen wit the pirates

  9. #19
    SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburgh55
    Pirates will be good look at the tigers last years worst team the all-star game was in detriot and now there great and the same will happen wit the pirates
    That would be awesome except for they picked up a great SP (Kenny Rogers) to teach the younger pitchers. We would never make any type of good pickup.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

  10. #20
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Not to mention a few other signings Detroit made over the past 3 years. Pudge, Ordonez. And who have we signed?.......lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Steeler Roll over Patriots to end the Streak.
    By sportsdork36 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM
  2. Pirates fire Tracy after 2 losing seasons
    By BlackGold4vr in forum Pirates Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 09:03 PM
  3. Official Pitt Basketball Thread
    By PITT23 in forum Semi Pro & Local College Sports
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •