Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Pirates Thread

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I don't know what to do with the Pirates.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I'm just amazed how well we've been doing since the All Star break. Our pitching has been spectacular and a hope this continues for a few years. Duke, Maholm, Snell, Gorzelanny, and Mike gonzalez to close it out. Damn, just seems like an awesome core of young pitchers.

FREDDY SANCHEZ FOR THE NL BATTING TITLE!!
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Addicted
    And next year they will trade them all.....lol I can't help but laugh. Whenever they get a good group of players together they sell out.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Thats what we can't let happen.

In 3-4 years this lineup will be pimp:

C: Doumit/Paulino
    1B: Need a big bat
    2B: Jose Castillo
    SS: Jack Wilson
    3B: Freddy Sanchez
    LF: Jason Bay
    CF: Chris Duffy (not sure if he can become a great player but he has the potential)
    RF: Need another big bat here

And all of the pitchers I mentioned.
    Last edited by PITT23; 08-24-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

Quote Originally Posted by PITT23
    Thats what we can't let happen.

In 3-4 years this lineup will be pimp:

C: Doumit/Paulino
    1B: Need a big bat
    2B: Jose Castillo
    SS: Jack Wilson
    3B: Freddy Sanchez
    LF: Jason Bay
    CF: Chris Duffy (not sure if he can become a great player but he has the potential)
    RF: Need another big bat here

And all of the pitchers I mentioned.
    I would say at Catcher you have to stick with Paulino, Doumit is going to be moved to Right Field. His defense is a real liability

Eldred would of been here for 1st next year but his injury makes that iffy as his swing still has alot of holes in it

As far as the young pitchers go, They wolnt trade them next year. They have them all locked up for a few years yet. Its one of the perks of young guys you still own them on that standard rookie contract. Ala Jason Bayup till they gave him the extension
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

At this point in the season, who knows, but I think we should try something next year.

I think this team has alot of potential, and in a couple of years, they could be really good, with just a few changes.

Starting Pitchers:
    Duke
    Maholm
    Gorzo
    Snell
    Sean Burnett (He was Zach Duke before there was a Zach Duke)
    John Van Benschotten (For a long time he was touted as the organizations #1 prospect)

Bullpen:
    Grabow has been consistently good.
    Torres is a dependable workhorse.
    Capps has had a great rookie season.
    Gonzalez is developing into a lights out closer.
    Plus, there are alot of promising relievers in the minors, like Jonah Bayliss and Josh Sharpless.

Positions:
    C: Paulino is great, and pretty consistent. He's big, and should show some power eventually. Doumit should be a pretty good backup, and can be used elsewhere too as a good bat with some power.

2B:Jose Castillo has the talent to be one of the best 2B in the league. He's athletic, and everyone knows how great he is with Jack Wilson on double plays, and he has alot of power for a 2B. If he continues to develop that, he could provide the power you would normally look for at 3B.

SS: Jack Wilson is one of the best shorstops in the game, IMO. His defense is amazing, and he's a pretty decent hitter who can occasionally be very good.

3B: What can I say? Freddy Sanchez is amazing. Consistent and clutch. Those are the 2 words that describe Sanchez best, and it makes him invaluable to this team. While most of the other guys on the team are prone to bad slumps, Sanchez's version of a slump is only getting ONE hit per game, instead of 3. Not alot of power, but Castillo can make up for that. And Sanchez is great on defense.

LF: Again, what needs to be said? Jason Bay is developing into a premier outfielder. He hits for average and power, he can steal bases, and he plays great defense. The only thing holding Bay back is himself. Sometimes he puts too much pressure on himself, or seems to let things like the All Star game get to him, and make him try too hard to hit a HR every at bat instead of just focusing and just trying to get a hit. This will go away though, as he gets more experience and gets used to the spotlight. When he's good, he's great. A Jason Bay hot streak is a terrifying thing to opponents.

CF: The Bucs have a few options here. Chris Duffy would be ideal, if he can hit like he did last year, and at times this year. He has great speed, and plays phenomenal defense. Jose Bautista has been more consistent than Duffy, and has shown good defense at times, although not as spectacular as Duffy. Bautista also has alot more power, and I think he'll really show it next year. 30 HR is not out of the question for him, I think, if he plays a whole season.

RF: The Pirates don't really have a definite RF. Bautista could play there, if Duffy takes the CF job. McClouth can be a backup there, as well as CF. This is somewhere where the Pirates might want to look at free agency, and hopefully for once bring in a big name. (You know they have the money now).

1B: This is the other position with a question mark for the Bucs. I don't think Nady is the answer there, and Brad Eldred's development seems to have stalled. Doumit could play there, but I'd rather see them go out and get a big name free agent, assuming that Duffy plays CF and Bautista plays RF.

So, basically the Pirates need 1 more consistent, power bat at either 1B or RF, and it would be nice to pick up a dependable veteran starter to anchor the young rotation. With the revenue sharing and the huge number of recent salary dumps, the Bucs should definitely have the financial flexibility to bring in a star hitter and a dependable, Jeff Supan type starter. If they do so, I can see the Pirates competing for a wildcard next year.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice post SF87. I can't argue with much of what you say. The problem I have with the Pirates is they get a great core of guys and then put garbage around them. Then all of a sudden they can't afford the good players and they trade them. I just hope they don't do to this group what they did to Giles, Kendall and them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan
    And next year they will trade them all.....lol I can't help but laugh. Whenever they get a good group of players together they sell out.
    Send em to the Mariners! We can give you some underwhelming position players in return...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
    Send em to the Mariners! We can give you some underwhelming position players in return...
    Don't tempt them!......lol

Thread Information