Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Wallace a one trick pony?

Bookmark and Share
    Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville

Was Wallace a one trick pony?

Has anyone else noticed that Mike Wallace has been a non factor the second half of this year? I have noticed some disturbing tendencies with him.

1. If it isn't a foot race he is a non factor.

2. He seems timid.

3. He takes plays off.

4. It seems the only way he gets open is by out-running them.
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

Yup you're right. I hope he steps up in the playoffs. The part that annoys me most is that some plays, it just seems like he doesn't care.

I remember when Lardarius Webb said that Antonio Brown was the better all around player and a lot of Steeler fans laughed at the notion.

Brown is the only player in NFL history with 1000 yards receiving AND return yards in NFL history. That's a damn impressive stat.

Let's be serious though. Brown has stepped up his game in the second half and Wallace has disappeared. Maybe part of this was the fact the Steelers wanted to force feed Hines Ward the ball for his 1000 catches. Maybe it's because Wallace is drawing more double teams.

It just seems though he's dropping balls he should catch, and he's not going full out.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Manic
    Wallace isn't a one trick pony ! Alvin Harper was a one trick pony.Money Mike is good after the catch,good on the sidelines (Green Bay winning catch as time expired).Has 2 consecutive 1000 yd seasons and a pro bowler. Are there better receivers in the league yes.Is Antonio Brown better probably they are both young and both Steelers so i say who cares.

Rookie Free Agent StillersSound's Avatar
    No. Teams started to gameplan for him. Ben isn't healthy. Our o-line is horrible. It's a combination of all those mixed together.

My Mood
    Addicted
    We've talked about this a lot. I think that Wallace is a little bit of a diva in the way that he plays. He's fast, and when Ben was healthy and could deliver the balls right into his hands, he was unstoppable. But Ben is starting to look a little shaky on that ankle, and Wallace doesn't seem to know how to go up and try to make a catch. I don't think I've ever seen him fight for a ball the way that Brown or Manny or Heath with fight for a ball. Which is why I think Ben has started to shy away from him a little bit as of late and start using the other receivers more.

He's a better weapon, but I think that Brown is the more complete player. If that makes sense.

He is not a one-trick pony as such, but he is not exactly a Megatron or a player of that caliber either. He is simply not big and strong enough to go up against double coverage and win. A big part of his "diminish" over the season can also be contributed to the rise of Brown and the injury of Big Ben. Thrown a perfect deep ball is practically impossible with a sore foot.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I really like Mike Wallace but him and Ben don't seem to be on the same page lately....Which is a concern....The teams franchise QB and number 1 WR should be ont he same page heading into the play-offs.....Wallace and Ben didn't seem to be on the same page in the Super Bowl against the Packers either.....Maybe there is a riff between Wallace and Ben....It seemed when Batch started against the Rams that Wallace had better effort to me......Wallace ran balls out on that deep pass from Batch......To me it seems as of late if Ben doesn't throw a perfect pass to Wallace deep then Wallace seems to lolly gag........

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Mike Wallace has been a non factor the second half of this year? I have noticed some disturbing tendencies with him.

1. If it isn't a foot race he is a non factor.

2. He seems timid.

3. He takes plays off.

4. It seems the only way he gets open is by out-running them.
    on bad throws, wallace doesent play D, he lets the defender intercept and makes little effort in tackling....look at the 49er game.....im dissapointed with him, he does seem to lack effort...he does however, turn screen passes into 17 yard gains

Rookie Free Agent
    wallace isn't a one trick pony, but he isn't a ***** WR either, is he elite? time will only tell, this is his second year over 1,000 yards recieving, and a pro bowl vote, so you have to think yea he is doing something right, but his drop off can go back to brown stepping up, how many games did he have over 100 yards? you have to think we have more weapons then just wallace and he isn't and shouldn't get all the looks from ben either, so im not really dissapointed in his stats as of late, what i am dissapointed in is the fact he seems to lack a fighting effort in games as of late. he has complained about the lack of looks already, and my only real issue if it continues where he doesn't get what he expects in a game does he become a locker room problem? does he start to complain or does he just simply not put in the effort to be that X factor in games? I would hope not!

Thread Information